iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low impact logging equipment breakdown

Started by Jeff, September 22, 2011, 07:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

O.K., it.s my quad.  Unhooking a skid I noticed I must have snagged a stick or something and tore the heck out of the CV boot on the rear right inner axle.  Has anyone ever changed one of these?  Is it something I dare try to do up here at the cabin with limited tools?  I'm out of commission until I get this fixed.  I don't imaginme the boot is terribly expensive, but I'll bet having it replaced at the honda dealer is very expensive. How do those clamps work that hold it in place?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

250quality

Done mine on my Brute Force a couple times. Pain in the a## though but you can do it. Depending on the clamp style you may need a special tool. Need a tie rod splitter as well to get the a arm off.

forestry mick

They are not hard to replace at all, limited tools may be a chalange but if you need to keep going, get to a local auto parts store they sell split boots that you can slide over and clamp in place in about 5 min with nothing more than a bar tool. stock clamps that honda uses from the factory use a special crimp tool but pop off easy (hook and loop looking setup). It is an easy fix but at the same time honda may want to sell you a whole new axle shaft, after market will save you and alot of money, any dealer will have a parts unlimited book listing all the parts you need! I am a local motocross racer and fix way to many peoples broken off road toys on the side so I have a vast knowlage of all things off road!

Mick

Bill Gaiche

Done the same thing on the rear of my Kaw. 650. Had to remove the A arm bolts on the wheel and shock. New one was about $20.00 and it came with lube. The new clamps were a little different than the orig. ones. They are a little tricky to put the clamps on. You might try wire ties for a temporary clamp untill you get it home. Some vehicles us them in there repair kits as a permanant fix. Good lucl, bg

Jeff

Mick, I'd assume you cut off the old boot before putting on the after market split boot?

forestry mick

Yes remove the old boot and clamps clean all dirt, Breakclean works the best, repack with grease and slide the split boot in place. I have seen some split boots last for years others for only days. one thing, take your old boot with you so you can match one up (can be a little bigger) and a pack of HD cable ties and you will be in good shape!

Jeff

To put on original equipment, do I have to have two new boots?  Does the outer boot have to come off to change the inner one?

forestry mick

you need to take the whole axle off, then you can change one boot at a time or just the one thats needs replacing. once out remove the old boot and then depending on degsin there eill be a retaining ring that must be removed then you can seperate the shaft, and the 3 cv balls, instaling the new boot will require some patience to get it on but in all isnt to tough

thecfarm

Like I say when something breaks,we're making money now. Working in the woods is hard on equipment,
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Jeff,

I just replaced the front axle on my Honda Foreman. The inner joint broke. $179 for the complete shaft from a aftermarket online source. Doesn't look like you need the whole thing though.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

I just dropped my bike off in the Soo at the honda dealer. Quote was for $100 parts and labor for putting the boot on. They said they could get it done this afternoon and I should be able to pick it up tomorrow.  :)   I have a coupkle other odds and ends for them to look at while it is there.

Ron Scott

Sounds good! Logging takes a toll on equipment.
~Ron

Ironwood

nothing like having it done right for a reasonable price. Good deal.
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Jeff

After my last experience a couple years ago with a Honda dealer, I was a bit leary going into this, but all I can say is good things about Leitz Sports Center in Sault St. Marie.   I called them this Morning and they said they were busy, but could get it before wednesday, but bring it in and they would try to fit it in, estimate, 100 bucks.   Well, I had my truck tool box mounted and I am here by myself, but after a bit of struggle, I got it off and out of the way to make room for the bike. I went around the shed to get my ramps and CRAP. I had a brain fart somewhere and had taken them home.  So, we had some planks in our lumber pile here, so I improvised and got the bike loaded.

I drove to the soo, and was there by 10:30 this morning. Its an hour drive from the cabin.  I talked to Tiffany, the very knowledgeable gal in parts and service and got the bike unloaded. We talked about what I was doing here at the cabin, and that the bike was important to keep me busy.  Before I left, she said the mechanic was going to fit it in today, and I should be able to get it tomorrow. So, I went to walmart, stocked up on paper plates, toilet paper and trail mix and headed back home to the cabin.   At about 4 oclock I looked at my phone and saw I had a missed call and voice mail at 2:30.  It was Tiffany.  My Bike was done and ready to pick up. They would be open until 6:30.  So, I hopped in the truck and headed back to the soo. Turns out the estimate was off.  The bill was for $80 some dollars    ;D     I say that was a deal. If I would have did it myself I'd of had $500 worth of aggravation.  :D

I thanked Tiffany for going out of the way to get it done for me so quick. I mentioned I should have had them change the oil and filter as it was due, but I had forgot, but might as well get the oil and filter.  She said, hey, we can still do that for you, I'll go tell the mechanic to do it before they load it for you.

So, here I am back at the cabin with my beloved Rincon, and ready to go at it again in the morning (IF it quits raining)  :)

WDH

That was outstanding customer service.  So was the price.  It is nice when those two come together!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Good service,well worth the drive. Was a nice day here,real warm,wet in the morning,from rain the other day.Dried out and the sun came out for awhile. Rain coming in at midnight,but suppose to stop mid morning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Great Service! I'm sure that you will give them further business.
~Ron

mad murdock

Wow, that is a story with a happy ending!  I guess that was a good test of the old shoulder, unloading the box and loading the bike yourself etc.  Good job!! You will be hacking at that hackmatack in no time 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

Yup, I'll trade bloody knuckles greasy everything and profanity floating around my head for 4 hours of driving any time.  :D

I sure will give them more business, and it is already planned. I forgot to add,  that after my fiaso with Hackers in Houghton Lake last year, where they had my bike for three weeks and said that they could never figure out the rattle in the bike and wanted to keep it another week for a company rep to look at.  That problem was definitively diagnosed for free today in the short time they had the bike. Tiffany said she knew what it was as soon as they started it, and the mechanic agreed that it is a worn cam chain tensioner. They said I should get it fixed, but no reason to stop to do it until I'm done with my work. It can wait for that.  Tiffany said to call them up and they will order it ahead of time so they can get it fixed the day i bring it in. about $60 part and an hour labor.   They get $70 an hour with a $20 minimum.  Very Happy with this.

Norm

Wow, wish we had a dealer like that in our area.

Thank You Sponsors!