iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$700.00 Walnut log

Started by T Welsh, September 22, 2011, 05:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

OK, guy,s , the story started with a call from one of our older customers a couple days after hurricane Irene hit us here in southeastern PA. I didnt go look at it, he said no hurry just get it cleaned up and removed from pasture when it suits you guy,s. well I did a drive by and looked across the field and thought to myself?Walnut!! the closer I got the smile got bigger, got out of the truck and it was a blow over,stump and all,top half in a creek. the owner came out and we talked it over. it was one of his favorite tree,s. short story,he said how much is the log worth! said I would not know till I get it out ! he said what ever you can get for it I will split it with you. said OK. or we will just just leave log and firewood there for them to clean up(big farm with help and machines) he said no,you take it and sell it asap. and the smaller log with the crotch on it take it back to your yard and make me a free form bench out of a 3" cut from the middle! he is not stupid. got it apart and off the stump and I could not pick it up with a LS180 skid steer. had to have the log truck drive in underneath one end and set it on the back of truck and then go around back and push it up the bed. took the log to our local log outlet for big and unusual logs(Its a secret) drove it down to them and we talked it over and came to an agreement that because of the defects a 30% deduction would be taken out. it had two cracks at least1/3 from butt end up. I got 15' total out of salvaging what I could,cut 1' off butt because of rot. measured 34" crotch end and had a branch pocket 2/3 the way up that was hollow.scaled 485bf. the man that bought the log is world renowned for unusual and highly figured logs and plays hardball well!! his first offer was $1bf, told him to load it back on the truck,he said wait let me think a minute,he said $2bf? said deal! with the defects and cracks I thought to myself on the way down $750 or better. I took the $700. enjoy the photo,s Tim

zopi

Nice find!
Scored a nice big white oak log on a job the other day..probably scale out at 3-400 bdft...already have a buyer
Basically begging me for every scrap of q-sawn oak of whatever flavor...oh..one knot on the log...little one at the end..sweet.

Buddy who is a firewood hunter called me up with a big white oak down in a cotton field...he is going to take the branches and I get the log...have not seen it yet though.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tree Feller

Nice log and better score!

That guy in the pics looks like... Rick Hearne?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

T Welsh

Tree Feller, How do you know my secret? I live about 12 miles away from Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford. one of our best buyers of big,or unusual,highly figured,hardwoods. he also loves us to leave the crotches on the logs.as I stated he plays hardball in the majors,all over the world and some times is tough to deal with,I have taken logs back and said thank you,no thank you. some times you have to hold to your guns. but most times other than Crown Hardwoods a veneer buyer that is the same distance from us,Rick is always our best price. Tim

Ron Wenrich

Have you ever been over to Tallarico Hdwd.?  We've sold him some sycamore for a pretty good price.  But, that was a few years back.  They're in the Denver area.  Don't know much about his specs or volume. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

T Welsh

Ron, No I havent, we have our local grade mill 8 miles away that gets most of the saw logs(lapp Lumber) then when we have large volume we truck it to Lebenon to Walter Weaber lumber. the crazy big stuff goes to Hearnes, and Veneer goes to Crown Hardwoods. they are my best markets 99% of the time. Tallarico is about 20 miles away. and with fuel being what it is today I try to keep the runs short as possible.do not know his spec,s or prices, but I think they are in line with Hearnes, as they both sell large slabs and such.I also buy logs from landowners and others, so I know what the worth and markets are like. so I dont try to beat up on the buyers too much. but I do want a fair price. but in today,s economy it is getting very hard to do. I think I read in another thread, you said you guys are moving firewood right now! we are doing the same! its all in the available markets you have, when times get tough as they are right now. we are leaving the timber stand. Tim

Ironwood

I know most of those guys.

You did ok, that crack kind of messed it up a bit. I think you both made out of (your secret guy and you) I have been to his yard a few times and it is surprising the "wood abuse" I see there. After one visit, seeing how the stacks are unprotected and such (still the same from your photo) I came home and committed to keep MY house in better order. It is a shame, from what I saw he loses the top 4-5 layers. Is there still the pieces to an old Woodmizer he chopped up laying in the weeds? I almost went back to make him and offer on it.

Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

T Welsh

Ironwood, you are right on all counts.took down a huge white oak with a crotch this spring and we where waiting on Rick to get back from somewhere! while waiting I walked around his whole operation and found the woodmizer in the weeds. also found a 440 JD skidder that I was going to ask about, but I started to get a better look at it and decided against it(I do not need another project right now) but I still think of it! My wife would kill me. I just got ride of a 46 chevy dump truck that I started on restoring 12 years ago! as you could see from the pictures he incurs a lot of degradation because of no rain covers, its mostly #2 walnut, shame! his market is in the crazy stuff. Tim

Ironwood

WOW, So the Mizer is STILL there. It must have been 10+ years sitting there in the weeds. Man, that is crazy. I liked his son, but he seemed a little eccentric, perhaps he was having a bad day (as we all do sometimes). I live off others waste so I look around and see the neglect, I guess the margin is enough to cover the ineffiecency. I suppose at some level we all have that "floatsam"

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

T Welsh

Ironwood,I saw the old mizer in the spring,when weeds were not grown up that pink salmon color is hard to mistake. I thought to myself,at least take the good parts off it and stick them some place dry. they have stepped up to a new band saw rig inside and a slabber 9' wide out side.A good size dh kiln. now they need over head storage for cut lumber. Tim

Ironwood

How about that vaccum lifting mechanism.  :o COOL

Ironwood

Larry

I have this feeling I'm going to be coming into a great sum of money.

Anybody want to buy into the futures market? :D

I can't see the money in that walnut log...the crotch is a "V" which won't be as purty as a "U".  Lot of sapwood plus the split.  Price of walnut must be tied to the gold scale. :o
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

It looks like you are nuts Larry.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ironwood

What it looks like is ALOT of marbles to make you fall on your behind. We must have 10-12 walnuts in our yard and this time of year is when I curse them. They are pretty mature and they are in all the areas we "live in" so, campfire pit, swing set, driveway. You can get "conked" pretty hard on the head if you in the wrong spot. I hate cleaning them up. Although one of my more affluent buddies wants some to eat, so I convinced my 9 year old to collect some and negotiate a trade with him for soda's at his highend restaurant, he loves their "Red Roger" special cherry soda pop.  ::) Gotta make like deals to help them learn how economics works.  :D

Ironwood

terrifictimbersllc

I earned my first pellet gun shelling walnuts for 50 cents a quart.  Crosman pump 0.22   Think it was about 35 quarts.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Full Circle

You just gave me a great idea for another use of the hydraulic log clamp on the woodmizer........
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Thank You Sponsors!