iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Risley Rotosaw Slingshot Head

Started by Corley5, September 21, 2011, 06:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Anyone have any experience with one  ???  Looks like I'm going to be the proud new owner of 1995 Hitachi EX 150 equipped with one.  Couldn't beat the price at $8,000.00 for a machine that works  :)  Pics and rest of the story later if I can get Dee off Farmville  ::)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Corley5

Here's the pics

The machine belonged to a local logger who passed away unexpectedly two years ago this past July.  Ron was 62  :( and had just drawn his first Social Security check :(  He bought the machine slightly used in 96 and used it daily.  The machines were shut down and made ready to work for Monday morning.  Ron died that Sunday of a massive heart attack  :'(  The processor and his two forwarders were hauled home from his job, the forwarders were sold within the year but the Hitachi wasn't.  Ron's former employee used it last year to cut firewood out of the pile in the pics for Jerry's, Ron's widow, outdoor boiler.  It's been ran within the past three weeks doing the same thing.  It looks pretty decent for an old machine.  The grease from that last Friday's maintenance is still on the fittings.  The welds that have been done to the head and boom look good and there are no cracks that I see.  The ground is fairly dry under it.  A few leaks but nothing major.  One track drive sprocket looks relatively new while the other is getting sharp.  The tracks and pins look good.  For the price she's asking I figure if I get a month's production with it plus scrap value I'm not out anything  :) and it's only about 4 miles away from me.  No long distance trucking bill 8)   

beenthere

That oughta keep the kid happy for awhile.  ;D ;D

Maybe you too. ;)

No long distance trucking bill, just a sloow drive home?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

I hope it makes everybody happy  ;D  A buddy has a low boy that has plates on it sometimes  ;) ;D  To get from his place to the machine he only has to drive on pavement for mile and loaded he's all on gravel from the machines location to its new home 8)  He might even have plates now  ;D ;D

Corley5

It's on the job  8) 8)  We tracked it over this afternoon ;) ;D  Haven't cut any trees with yet.  I want to review the manual and watch the video again.  Tomorrow morning after a grease job it goes to work  :) :)

beenthere

Good on ya. Awesome machine.
Should be fun to get it working again, and cutting your trees  8)

Hope there is a video in the making.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Good luck with it. Is that a forwarder behind it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bobus2003

So from the pics i'm guessing that it is also a Delimber of the first 15' or so of the tree?

Hilltop366

Cool lookin rig!    It would have been hard for me not to try it on at least one tree.

snowstorm

Quote from: Bobus2003 on October 05, 2011, 10:24:14 PM
So from the pics i'm guessing that it is also a Delimber of the first 15' or so of the tree?
its a cut to length head. never seen one work tho. slides out limb pull

Corley5

I experimented with the machine enough to realize that it needs a relief valve, I think, adjusted/replaced/rebuilt  :)  Pressure bleeds off from all the head functions so you can't grip a stem long enough to process it before it drops out.  The boom and arm doesn't bleed off so I know it's in the circuit for the head.  I got swamped with firewood orders the last few days and haven't had time to delve into it any further.
  It's still pretty  8)  Grab a tree, cut it off, lay it on its side and run the monkey to the top stripping off the limbs.  It may need a couple swipes to get them all.  With the monkey at the top and the delimbing arms holding the stem you loosen the bottom clamp and slide the stem back to the desired length, tighten the bottom clamp, cut the stick and repeat until the tree is processed.  Takes a bit to get the functions of the buttons figured out  ;) ;D  It's got a 4 cyl turbo Isuzu diesel engine that runs really nice.  The left track is bit stronger than the right :-\ but otherwise everything seems to work including most of the lights  ;D 
  I suppose I should get this video thing figured out.  That's my Tree Farmer C4D forwarder in the background

snowstorm

Jamie_C

I would check the accumulaters as well. If the bladder is shot in them then you can't keep constant pressure to the head. That big old stroker shouldn't need to pre-limb the entire tree before processing unless you have a really ugly tree in the head.

sprucebunny

Very cool !!! What a deal  8) 8) 8)

I'd like to have something like that for a couple months.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!