iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1988 LT 30

Started by HOGFARMER, September 19, 2011, 09:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

Wasn't really looking for one but did buy a 1988 LT 30 which I am going to haul home in the morning.  I bought it because it is more portable than the Belsaw.  I also own a farm 100 miles south of the farm I live on and am planning to haul it there on weekends when I have time.  Mill seems to operate well and everything works.  The Onan engine has been replaced with a 25 Hp Kohler purchased from Woodmizer.  Any advise on putting it into service would be appreciated.  What spare parts do I need to keep in inventory for it? Thanks all.
Manual LT-30

Bibbyman

WM can advise you on a spare parts kit.  They have a number of levels depending on your intended use.

We keep one of every switch (not many on the 88 model), fuses,  B57 belts, main drive belt.

Is it manual or hydraulic?  If hydraulic, then maybe keep some of the right kind of oil in case you get a leak an loose some.

BTW, Congratulations on your new to you mill!  Be sure to get the registered with Wood-Mizer.  You'll be able to order parts on-line, etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

HOGFARMER

Well, I got the mill pulled home today.  It trails behind a pick-up real well there was no sway at all.  The mill had not been on the road for several years as it was being used stationary.  So the tail light wiring had to be repaired.  Next we checked and packed the wheel bearings.  Found a bad wheel bearing which made a trip to an auto parts necessary for a replacement, and the only one they had was made in China.  I hate the China made bearings, they don't seem to hold up for me.  But we bought it so we could get home. 

Now I need to make a list and call Woodmizer for parts.  There will be two list one will be wants and one will be what is necessary.  I know it is about ready for B57 belts and needs a new cable to move the blade guide.

Manual LT-30

zopi

Go ahead and replace the drive belts too...the twin belts have been phased out in favor of a solid back belt...and well..the up/down and travel drive just because..
Also, the older mills had a single roller chain suspending the head, this can be replaced by two chains...there were some failures apparently...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

HOGFARMER

Thank you for the advise I will replace the other belts.  This one allready has the double lift chain.
Manual LT-30

zopi

No problem...the drum switches for head travel may need cleaning too...lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

millwright

Ive had a 1987 LT30 for quite a few years and its a real good running and well built unit, you can get anything you need from WM in short order, have fun.

HOGFARMER

Well. I tried the mill out on a small log yesterday and it seems to work allright.Ordered new belts for the wheels, bed wipers and a few other thing from Woodmiser.

Went to the Ohio Farm Science Review today and while there bought a 5 foot Log Rite peavey hook.  Figured I would need it as this is a manual mill

Tomarrow I will look it over some more and pick up a few new band blades at Country Saw in Salem, Ohio.

Almost forgot to mention at the Farm Science Review I saw one of the sponsors who makes the Easy Boardwalk mill.  It appears to be a good well built mill and he was pushing it thru a log with one finger.
Manual LT-30

Thank You Sponsors!