iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New England Loggers/Sawyers Willing to Share Their Knowledge?

Started by asca65290, September 18, 2011, 09:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asca65290

Hello, I'm Alex.  I've been a long time reader of this forum (though I haven't posted a whole lot) and I think it's excellent!  I'm a 26 year old guy originally from the countryside of Illinois.  I grew up on a farm going hunting, fishing, four wheeler riding, etc. and am very comfortable being outdoors getting dirty and running a chainsaw.  I took a bit of a different path in college, getting my degree in finance and then working as an investment banker.  I'm now getting my MBA at Harvard here in Boston and am looking to start my own timber land investment and forestry/lumber business in a couple of years.  I would love to get connected with the timber and logging community in the New England area and learn as much as I can from all of you.  Ideally I would like to visit some mills and logging operations around here and talk about businesses.  I'm also happy to lend a hand where I can.  I'm interested in seeing a variety of operations and any size from a one-man team to hundreds of employees would be just perfect.  I can drive as far as needed, that's no issue.  Please contact me if you could help in any way!  I would be very grateful and could reciprocate with business or financial advice, should you want any.  Thanks!

madmari

We are a two man outfit with two skidders and lots of bar oil. I'd trade a couple days to find out where the dollars go from the $.30 bf on the stump to $6.00 bf at the retail site :P

Not much here to see....Fell, limb, choke, skid... repeat until exhausted.

PM for location.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

asca65290

Quote from: madmari on September 19, 2011, 07:26:10 PM
I'd trade a couple days to find out where the dollars go from the $.30 bf on the stump to $6.00 bf at the retail site

Ask and you shall receive:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53066.0.html

woodmills1

one man show in hudson nh

84.5 acres, mostly oak forest saw log quality and tons of firewood

permission to operate a woo based (agriculture) business
sawmill, firewood processor, etc but not tree service

woodmizer LT 70 remote with acusett and cat 62

woodmizer edger

mutitek 1610EZ

payeur forester kioti dk40se and metavic log trailer

chevy 4500 dump and blue ox little ox log trailer

3 full time and three part time tree services to pick up for

various contract and contacts for lumber
repeat firewood customers

some finised wood orders each year  planed edged sanded etc
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin

Alex, I'll trade that fish for a day skidding my logs in three feet of snow.  ;D

bull

I am located in Sterling Mass, 56 mile west of Boston.. Run a small operation 103 acre mixed hardwood, WM LT 40, Baker PAQ resaw, multitek 1610ez Kubota M 6800, ford f350 dump etc... We sell lumber,pallets, bark mulch "bulk",firewood " bulk / bagged " and wood waste compost "bulk" .. Also operate a small vegetable farm....

asca65290

Quote from: bull on September 21, 2011, 10:49:26 AM
I am located in Sterling Mass, 56 mile west of Boston.. Run a small operation 103 acre mixed hardwood, WM LT 40, Baker PAQ resaw, multitek 1610ez Kubota M 6800, ford f350 dump etc... We sell lumber,pallets, bark mulch "bulk",firewood " bulk / bagged " and wood waste compost "bulk" .. Also operate a small vegetable farm....

Sounds like a great operation.  Just what I'd like to see!  Would you be okay letting me visit some weekend?

bull

bill m

Alex, I am a one man operation working in the southern Berkshires of Ma.

Most of what is done around here is by smaller outfits using cable skidders. I think I am the only one around here using a farm tractor and forwarding trailer full time. Sometimes there will be a mechanized crew doing work in a pine or spruce plantation. Let me know if you want to make the trip out here.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

asca65290

Quote from: bill m on September 24, 2011, 09:32:32 AM
Alex, I am a one man operation working in the southern Berkshires of Ma.

Most of what is done around here is by smaller outfits using cable skidders. I think I am the only one around here using a farm tractor and forwarding trailer full time. Sometimes there will be a mechanized crew doing work in a pine or spruce plantation. Let me know if you want to make the trip out here.

Bill, that's a nice setup that you have!  I would love to see it in action.  I will send you a private message to coordinate the details.

Thank You Sponsors!