iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to make a Slick Handle

Started by Brian Moore, September 18, 2011, 06:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moore

Good evening everyone,
I recently join the forum and have a question.   I have been reading through the last 10 pages of the forum and haven't seen anything on this.    I even used the search feature but got 0 results.    I have recently purchased a Greenlee 3" slick to add to my growing collection of TF tools.     However, this slick has no handle.    Are there any basic guidelines to making a Slick handle or is it mostly trial and error?   Any perfered wood for handles?   Any dimensional guidelines such as don't make it longer then this or shorter then X.   Guidelines for Diameter?  I ask as I will be having someone make this for me as I do not have a lathe.    Any and all replies are appreciated.

Thanks
Brian Moore

ljmathias

Let me be the first to welcome you: welcome!   :)

Not sure I can really help you out on the handle.  My slick came with one... I do know lots of people use hickory for handles of various kinds, but it's hard to work if dry.  Most hardwoods should work fine as a slick doesn't receive the kinds of blows a chisel does, for example- at least my slick doesn't.   :D

There has been a great thread on handles for axes- you might want to track that down first.  Good luck.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Brian Moore

LJ
thanks for the Welcome.    I have been following your thread "Not quite a Timber Frame" and really appreciate your posting it for all of us to follow.

Brian

dukndog

Welcome to the FF Brian!!

I have a few chisels and slicks with different wood types used for handles. I prefer Bois' Doc or Osage Orange because its pretty hard. I've made them out of hard maple, hickory, and dogwood. Probably the most preferred is maple for ease of turning and function.
My design that I see most often on older original ones is 12-18" long from socket to tip, minus the 2-3" inside socket. Thickness is 1.5" at body tapering to 1" before half-round handle tip, which is 2". This just seems to flow well for me. In looking at it, think of a bowling pin with the base going into the socket, the body being the thickest, cut off the top of the pin at the thinnest part, then place a muffin without the stump on top!! I borrowed one of Jim Rogers pics of a great looking handle!!

Hope this helps!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Brian Moore

dukndog
Thanks I appreciate your reply this gives me a good starting point.

thanks
Brian

Thank You Sponsors!