iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pizza From Scratch

Started by Norm, September 18, 2011, 09:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Cold and rainy here today so thought I'd make up some pizza dough for later on in the week.

First up is the italian pizza dough starter. I bought the germ online and is supposedly from one of the better pizzerias in Italy. I keep it in the fridge in a mason jar.

Yesterday evening I added it to flour and water which is mixed to a pancake batter consistency. Some of this is put back in the jar to keep the starter fresh. The rest I set out overnight to activate.

This morning I added it with flour, oil, honey and salt put in the mixer to make a wet dough.

I mix it for 10 minutes and end up with a pretty wet dough. This is put in a container that I spray olive oil into then this is sealed and into the fridge for a couple of days to slow proof.

Later today I'm taking some san marzano tomatoes I grew and making a sauce. I'll update this later in the week when I make the pizzas.

While I had everything out and dirty I mixed up a batch of muffin bread. We make this for toast at breakfast.

zopi

ohhh..yess...I use a similar neapolitan dough recipe...one o these days I am going to have a wood fired brick oven for such things....

Recipe I picked up from CIA...make a white pizza topped with mozzarella and fontina, top with raw quail eggs with just a touch of caviar on top of each egg and bake....serve with chilled champagne..great for breakfast..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Mooseherder

Your post got me to thinking we hadn't made homemade Pizza in a while so I took care of that. :)
We bought the dough from the Bakery.

okmulch

We make homemade pizza quite a bit. My wife uses her bread machine to make the dough. We do not have any yeast like what Norm uses, but it makes a good crust and tastes pretty good too.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Ianab

Quote from: okmulch on September 18, 2011, 08:56:16 PM
We make homemade pizza quite a bit. My wife uses her bread machine to make the dough. We do not have any yeast like what Norm uses, but it makes a good crust and tastes pretty good too.

Same here.

Basic dough recipe with bread baking yeast, mixed in the Bread Maker with the "dough" setting.

Come out pretty darn good, but more like a foccacia bread than a commercial pizza base. Better in some ways  :)

I imagine Norms method is going to make something pretty good. I don't plan pizza that far ahead, heck waiting 90mins for the nread maker to do it's thing is a drag  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Nothing beats home made pizza with your own dough.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

scottyblue

Quote from: Mooseherder on September 18, 2011, 06:14:33 PM
Your post got me to thinking we hadn't made homemade Pizza in a while so I took care of that. :)
We bought the dough from the Bakery.

Oh man,that looks good ;D
Scotty

Norm

I don't always plan ahead enough either and go with the instant yeast which makes a darn good pie.

Mooseherder yours look awesome!

Mooseherder

It was loaded with grilled onions, green and red peppers and grilled mushrooms.
I cooked the 4 ingredients in a skillet before putting on the Pizza with hamburger and pepperoni. ;D
They don't show up on the picture because of that but the flavor is awesome.
Cooked the regular way is great also.  :D

SPIKER

Winter & Fall we make a lot of fresh Pizza at home.   We usually end up buying much of the ingredients from the store as I like meat lovers and we dont raise our own critters for food/.

We buy dough in a mix rather than that longer method above.   Sounds great though.   We usually get the "Cotton Picking Dough" or the "Martha White Deep Dish" dough.   We mix 2 or 3 bags of it up first cover it on the stove and start the oven at 350.   We let the heat come out onto the covered dish while we fry up the goodies.

usually start with about 1/3LB of Bacon (I prefer the thick sliced "Superiors" or Hormel "Black Label")   Now I fry it until crisp but less than if I was eating it with Eggs. ;)   
pull off Bacon as it finishes & drain off most of the grease and toss in some HOT sausage, I prefer "Bob Evans" brand but you may like something else.  also frying and drain off the excess flavor er I mean Fat.
I set that aside and toss in some hamburger with fresh cut onions.  and fry those down to add the extra onion flavor.

again draining it off once it is lightly browned like others.  Take fry pan toss in a cup of Red & Green Peppers and stir fry them on high for a few minutes to soften them slightly and to take the edge off them. 

By this time the dough should have raised up some we check and use a heavy pan coat hands with Olive Oil & pan with some of the bacon/burger grease.   spread out the dough onto the pan. 
sprinkle in some Parmesan Cheese as it is getting spread out onto the pan so it gets smashed into the dough.   Pop the pan without anything else on it into the oven for 10 or so minutes at 400~425F to quick raise & brown it.   Must keep an eye on it to not get it overdone but to crispen up the top and bottom some.   
Pull it from the oven and spread on the sauce (I like the "Constendenta" Peperoni Brand tastes good and not expensive.) 
While she is spreading the sauce on I'm popping in a plate full of Pepperoni onto a paper towel and microwaving that for a minute to pull off a lot of the grease.
After the sauce is down add the peppers & some black & green olives.   follow up with the hamburger & onion mix and add a small amount of cheese (I like sharp Cheddar or  Mexican Blends mixed into the center to help hold it together.)   We add the Bacon and sausage near the top and fresh un-cooked onions.   toss on more cheese Mozzarella or a blend depending on what we got on sale.   By this time last thing left is the Pepperoni which is on the very top with a small sprinkle of cheese to help hold it on.   Our Pizzas end up about 2~3" thick and are then baked down to 350~375 for 15 or so more minutes to get it all good and hot and stuck together.  everything is well cooked prior to going into the oven so only need to brown and melt the cheeses and heat it all evenly.   turns out AWESOME most always without fail 2 slices will fill me or woman up and then leaves 3 days worth of lunches and such;)   We took a couple photos last time not sure if I downloaded them to my drive will look for one and post it later if I can get it re-sized to fit into a big screen :)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Patty

Your pizza sounds wonderful!!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

Got my dough out last night for pizza on the egg.

Formed up some dough balls.

And proofed while enjoying a couple of liquid refreshments.

Then formed into semi round shapes for sauce and toppings.

On the egg which is up to 550° for 10-15 minutes.

One of my best yet!

We tried fresh yellow tomatoes on this batch and they were awesome. Very mild tomato.

Raider Bill

Tito's is potato based out of Texas isn't it?

I had homemade pizza yesterday myself. Dropped off 36 eggs at the local Fire Station and got invited to dine with them! Firemen sure know how to eat!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

BrothersMule

Good looking vittles boys making me hungry.

Norm,
Where did you get the pizza stone and rack for your egg? I have made pizza on my egg once before. It came out good but i could not get the top as done as i wanted with out burning the crust. I used a stone but i did not have a spacer or rack to lift it away from the direct heat.

Norm

What I do is leave the cooking grate in then on top of it goes the platesetter with legs down. On top of it I use the three feet you get when you buy your egg. I use those to set the pizza stone on so you get an air gap between the pizza stone and the platesetter. I've found the best temp for me is 550°F.

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Missed your question Bill, Tito's is made with corn, only thing better than ethanol.  ;D

scgargoyle

I bake my pizza on my vertical smoker, running about 575 and using a baking stone. It cooks up in under 5 minutes. I like to throw a single chunk of wood in there to give it a little smoke.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

SPIKER

mine from a couple weeks ago.

Norm

Wow that's one loaded pizza, awesome!

SwampDonkey

He has my pizza pan to. I'll be right over for it Spiker. :D ;)

LeeB

If you boys and gals like Tito's, you need to try and get ahold of some Dripping Springs brand. It also comes from central Texas and tastes better to me. I love to do home made pizza but it is much cheaper to get store bought. I usually end up with about $30 in a home made. Good cheeses are expensive.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Norm

I now buy my cheese from these guys. http://www.burnettdairy.com/store/

Good quality and very affordable. They do not ship in coolers so you may want to order in the colder months so you don't get pre-melted cheese.

Thanks for the vodka recommendation Lee.

SPIKER

Most of the time we end up with pizza that is 2~3" thick sometimes hard to get all way done if not cooked correctly.

must pre-cook the crust to a slight golden brown.

pre-cook all the toppings even micro-wave peperoni and remove all extra grease

layer warmed or still warm toppings onto and cook at lower temp than normal 300 or so for about 10 ~15 min or until browned and all melty...  :P   8)

Mark

scsmith42

Great post Norm.  You create (and cook) some of the coolest things.  I had never thought of making pizza at home, but may add this to the "to do" list.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!