iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shingles

Started by Patty, September 16, 2011, 06:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

Someone mentioned on another thread that he had the shingles virus. I have read that they have a new vaccine for this that is pretty effective. Has anyone taken the vaccine? If so, does it work?

A prescription for shingles anti-virus pills runs anywhere between $104 - $200 (this is with my insurance covering about half of the cost) for a 10 day fill, and I get it filled about every 3 months. The shot costs about $300, and so it is would be worth the cost, since I think the vaccine is good for a lifetime. Insurance will not cover any of the cost for the shot.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Larry

Kathy had the shot about two years ago.  It has something to do with ever having chicken pox.  Kathy had some kind of test before getting the shot as she was not sure if she had chicken pox or not.  No side effects from the shot...just as mean as ever. ;D

I've had a mild case of shingles when I was about 18 and chicken pox.  I visited with my Doc and he wasn't impressed with the results the shot gives for preventing shingles.  I passed on the shot.  Our insurance covers the total cost.

I hope doctorb weighs in with his thoughts.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doctorb

Well, doctorb doesn't have much to add here.  It's nice that we now have some anti-virals for a multitude of ailments, along with vaccines that prevent viral infection.  But my experience with these firsthand is zero.  I don't want to post what I have heard about them as I have no idea if what I've been told is true.  So, unfortunately, it's Internet search time for further knowledge about the efficacy of shots / meds for shingles.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Onthesauk

I haven't got much of an immune system so get all the vaccines that come along.  Got the shingles vaccine about two years ago, about $80, elective so insurance doesn't cover, very fine needle so easiest I ever had.  One issue is that it has to be warehoused very cold, some places can't keep it.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

My grandfather had the shingles when he was in his 70's, had it for several months. And an older lady in her 50's I knew from work had it for several months as well until finally getting over the dose.

But my understanding is if you had chicken pox, your liable to catch the shingles later in life. Ootherwise there is no need to get the shot if you haven't had the chicken pox.

Our government is now talking about delisting the flu shot from medicare coverage. And that has opened up a can of spiders.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

Shingles virus occurs in folks who had the chicken pox as a child. From what I can gather, the worse you had the chicken pox, the worse your shingles are as an adult. Apparently the chicken pox virus remains in your body forever, lodging in various nerve endings, hidden away for the rest of your life. A drop in antibodies triggers the virus, causing it to reoccur in the form of shingles. Shingles are extremely painful and can spread and become infected if not treated.

The first two times I had them, the doctors was not able to diagnose what I had, and I was in agony. I got a new doctor and she diagnosed the problem immediately, and prescribed the medication. It is very effective, and stops the pain immediately.

I have read that the shot is anywhere from 70% - 90% effective, and they just recently lowered the age to 50 for those able to receive the shot. I am tempted to get it just in the hopes of it working.

Larry, has your wife had any occurrences of shingles since she got the vaccine?
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Shotgun

Both my wife and I had the shingles shot a year ago now, as a precaution.  A month ago I came down with a full-blown case of Bell's Palsy (facial nerves affected and a full facial feature sag on one side), which is some how apparently intertwined with shingles, chickenpox, and cold sores.  I'm over it now, and in the bigger picture of life it was pretty insignificant, but it has been a nuisance for that entire month.  Some people have the palsy symptoms for a long time, some even the rest of their life. I'm not sure if the shingles shot should have prevented the palsy, or not.  Maybe the palsy would have been more severe without the shot.

I'm glad we got the shots though.

Norm   (Where's that Bell's Palsy icon)   :D
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

WH_Conley

Patty, sounds like you have done your homework on the shingles/chicken pox connection.  That might have been a thread I posted in. Seems like when you mention health the cost the price is all over the place, depending on what part of the country you are in.

I had two outbreaks, about six months apart. The first time I had no idea what it was, got pretty bad before starting meds. That one had me out of service awhile. The second we caught real quick and got the meds started and was not real bad. That was when they told me about the vaccine. Had to wait three months after the outbreak to take vaccine. Costs were $175.00 for the vaccine. That was about double of one trip to the doctor and the prescriptions for one outbreak. One of my daughters is a nurse and is now working for my doctor, so she was able to get the prescription and bring it home with her. Saved an office call. The cost might sound high, but, still cheaper than 2 office calls and meds.  That was a little over 6 months ago.

So far so good. I guess only time will tell.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Bill

Patty

Thanks Bill, I will ask my doctor about the waiting period. I have not gone 3 months without an outbreak since they started over a year ago.   I wonder how the doc will deal with that. Or maybe I just wouldn't be a candidate for the shot. I will find out.

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Larry

Quote from: Patty on September 17, 2011, 09:29:39 AM
Larry, has your wife had any occurrences of shingles since she got the vaccine?

No, but she has never had shingles.  Got the shot just as a precaution since she had chicken pox.

I get my annual checkup next month and will try to remember to ask Doc again about the shot.  I suppose I'm at risk, having both chicken pox and a mild case of shingles when young.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Warbird

Thanks for this information, Patty.  I had the chicken pox pretty bad as a kid and had no idea shingles was related to it.

WH_Conley

Stress can also trigger a shingles outbreak too. Doesn't mean it will, just that it can.
Bill

Patty

Yes it does Bill, that is usually when I get the shingles and cold sores both, when I am way stressed out. They are all related virus's belonging in the herpes family.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WH_Conley

That sure sounds familiar.
Bill

Warbird

Wait, chicken pox is a version of herpes??  ???

Patty

The virus that causes chickenpox is varicella-zoster, a member of the herpesvirus family. The same virus also causes herpes zoster (shingles) in adults.

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV). There are two types of herpes simplex virus: HSV-1 and HSV-2. Both virus types can cause sores around the mouth (herpes labialis) and on the genitals (genital herpes).

The herpes simplex virus usually enters the body through a break in the skin around or inside the mouth. It is usually spread when a person touches a cold sore or touches infected fluid-such as from sharing eating utensils or razors, kissing an infected person, or touching that person's saliva. A parent who has a cold sore often spreads the infection to his or her child in this way. Cold sores can also be spread to other areas of the body.

They are all herpes related virus.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Warbird

Okay.  Thanks.  I knew about HSV and to my knowledge, don't have it.  Didn't know about the relationship between chicken pox and all the rest, though.  Appreciate the info!

Patty

You are most welcome!  :)

Virus are a very interesting form of life....extremely basic and potentially deadly. That they can harbor in our nerve endings, or anywhere else for that matter, for decades undetected, and then all of a sudden come to life is amazing.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

WH_Conley

A few answers about the vaccine, that you probably wouldn't think to ask.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/shingles/vacc-need-know.htm
Bill

red

a good friend just came down with very painful shingles and I remembered this posting lots of good info here
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Al_Smith

My two sisters plus myself have all had a case of the shingles .Mine was mild .

Now I'm not a medical person but my two sisters are in the medical field .One as a registered nurse the other as a doctor of pharmacy .The idea that stress brings on an attack of shingles really seems to be more speculation than fact .What is fact is that they are related to having had chicken pox .

Jeff

I can tell you, they ain't no fun.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

Like I say mine were very mild .It just looked like I took a blast from a shot gun in the lower ribs on one side is all .Not really painfull just like a case of chicken pox is all .Gone in about two weeks .

Now I know others were not so lucky as myself . I had little white scars for maybe 3 years that looked like weld splatter burns but they seemed to have gone away .

Al_Smith

Thinking  out loud I kind of wonder if because it seems that most of us that  were born in the 40s'and 50's before they innoculated for things like measels .chicken pox and what not if that makes us collectively as being prone to shingles .

My kids for example were born in the 70's at such time they had vaccines for "childhood" diseases .Now time will only tell if that in fact will protect them in later life .

SwampDonkey

My grandfather had it for months and I knew a co-worker who had it for months to. Neither person was very comfortable about it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

I recently had the shingles shot.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!