iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Douglas Fir...native to Wisconsin?

Started by Rooster, September 15, 2011, 12:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

I've got some Douglas Fir 3x8 floor joists out of a old barn.  Some are stamped Weyerhauser.  Could these have come from Northern Wisconsin?  Where would have been the closest in the Lower 48 states?

Thanks,

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

beenthere

Doubt the D. fir came from n. WI.
Rail shipping of lumber has been happening for many years, and probably came from the west coast or the rocky mountain states.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rooster

I was thinking Washington as well.  The reason that I asked is two part... I brought home a cut-off of one of the joist, and it had a very high growth ring count, I showed it to my daughter who is taking a natural resources class in high school and I asked her if she wanted to show her teacher.  She said that her teacher would be very interested because they were currently working on a "Trees of Wisconsin" unit in class.  I was able to identify the wood as Doug Fir because of the density, color, and dark rings.  I am estimating that the diameter of the log was about 36", and within this one 3"x8" cross section I counted 200+ rings and I was nowhere near the center of the log.  Added with the fact that the barn was probably built close to 100 yeas ago, do you guys think that this joist came from a tree that was seeded more than 500 years ago?

The other question would have more to do with the amount of timber available in Wisconsin when the barn was built.  At what point in the state history was it cost effective to ship lumber from the West coast, instead of the Mid-West?  The only other thought was that the barn- builder wanted Doug Fir specifically for his joist because of the added thrength.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

beenthere

Rooster
All interesting speculations. :)
Beyond that, prolly no way to know much for certain.

What kind of stamp was it?  Have a picture to show? Weyerhaeuser company had a practice of getting in and out of every phase of the wood industry from land owning, sawmills large and small, pulp mills, veneer mills, board plants, etc. in many parts of the country.

No way to know that this joist wasn't a replacement 30-70 years ago. About 100 years ago would be when the white pine industry moved west for additional supply of standing timber so local may not have been available even when the barn was new. 

A cross section of wood showing the rings can be a great science project for any student. A world of information can be extracted and can take a student in a gazillion different directions and interesting stories.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JHBC

Hi,
I'm not familiar with tree species in Wisconsin, but I am almost certain that Douglas Fir only grows west of the Rockies, from Northern California to central B.C., the coastal subspecies is favored, so probably Western Ore, Wash, or B.C.  Weyerhauser is a big player here.
MS460 28"    MS660  36"    MS441 20"/24"    394XP 32"/36"    3120XP 32"/42"

RynSmith

WDH

I spent most of my career with Weyerhaeuser.  Frederick Weyerhaeuser started the company in 1900, but he started in the timber business on the Mississippi river in 1872. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!