Sponsors:

Turkey Kill

Started by Ron Scott, September 14, 2011, 07:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

~Ron

beenthere

Sure not a sport.
But seems DePew is jumping to a conclusion that they were intentionally hit/killed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

red oaks lumber

if you come up over a hill or around a corner, a whole flock can suddenly be in the middle of the road with no way of avoiding them. no matter how something dies the bright ones (dnr) assume it was done on purpose :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I would have very serious doubts that anyone could intentionally run over/into a flock of turkeys.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Ahh our ever so friendly dnr, just come talk to us.

Give me a break, there's one agency that needs trimmed back to nothing.

Mooseherder

We are headed south on I-95.   My wife saw 3 Turkeys on the side of the road a couple hours ago.
I was sleeping. ;D

Jeff

I can see how you could easily have that happen on accident.  We used to have some pretty big flocks in Clare county, and we have quite a few hilly back roads.  We had one of the first large populations of turkeys in the state. One of the logging jobs we did back around 1980 was on a site where the DNR was coming in with "rocket nets" to capture and transplant turkeys to other parts of the state.  I'll bet this DNR guy is in his twenties...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Shotgun

This is interesting.  IMHO, too many, too quick to broad brushes here. Just saying...
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

sandhills

We have a good population around here, and I could see getting a half dozen or so by accident in the right situation, but 11 seems high.  On the other hand I've never seen them hang around on the road long enough for someone to get another swipe at them, unless they are tame, they usually all take off in every direction.  Then they spend the next 20 minutes running back and forth along a 3 string barb wire fence trying to figure out how to get through  :D.  Really not the smartest birds in the world.

chevytaHOE5674

I can easily see it being an accident. The juvenile birds aren't too swift and will stand in the road even when the car is about to run them over.

There was one occasion where the turkeys wouldn't move from the road after I slammed on my brakes and came to a complete stop. So i honked the horn and rolled forward until they were just about to the bumper then they all slowly wandered away. Had they been on around a corner or over a hill and I didn't see them in time a whole flock would have gotten hit. This was in Lake country in the LP.

Kansas

Around here farmers would buy the guy a cold beer and thank him for what he did.

Jeff

It was a hen with young that were killed.   I took  photo FROM my guad of a mom with 8 babies eiyj my phone a couple weeks ago that could easily have been wiped out by someone simply inadvertently going off the shoulder. They never left the road edge as I went by. I'll see if I can find it.

chevytaHOE5674

And as for the DNR saying "come talk to us" that's like playing with fire. Even if it was an accident I'm sure the DNR would string you up and get you for something. Would make you out to be an animal killing lunatic or something.

Jeff

I lied. It wasn't a photo. It was a shakey video I thought was on photo mode. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyj1msLPFjA

Magicman

I have hit turkeys with the truck in the past, but no way could I just go out and intentionally hit a turkey.  Brought them home and ate them.   digin1
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Autocar

Whats better then a turkey ? More turkeys ! Love to hunt them  :D
Bill

Jeff

Different turkeys, same road.  Thiis is how close they can be grouped, even with 10 babies. This one probably already had some picked off by yotes. Anyhow, I guess we don't know the details, but I've had my own experiences with young gung-ho DNR officers, and I have to side with innocent until proven guilty.

Ianab

The other thing is that they aren't that smart.

They see a car coming and the hen runs away, straight down the road. The rest of the brood follow in a line, and the whole lot get cleaned up.  :o

You might consider swerving for something the size of a deer / cow etc, but running off the road and getting killed for a turkey? Not me... Brake if there is time, but I'm not going to risk my life for them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Norm

Growing up I worked for the farmer across the road that raised turkeys, only animal I've ever seen dumber than sheep. The wild ones are a bit smarter but just by a bit.

zopi

Not wrecking a thirty thousand dollar car for a nickel turkey...just saying...

And yeah, have dealt with some bonehead dnr dweebs...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

treefarmer87

i have never seen as many turkeys as i have this year i cant go a day without seeing a flock. i havent seen a single hen with her young, i have seen mostly 2 and even 3 hens and all their young :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Norm

I got my first ever tag for the fall turkey season. Never hunted them before as I wanted them to get their population up. Looking forward to it and if anyone has tips on what to do that would help out.

isawlogs

Wait till there are two or three lined up before pullin' da trigger.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I wanted to post this video clip real quick before I dash to my Bear blind. We just took it a few miles from the cabin on M-48. Picture the scene if you had just topped a hill at highway speed. These guys were on a long flat stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i22iVjKt6YM

isawlogs

Road killed turkey for super anyone !!!!

That would of made a mess,  can see where that could of happened if the conditions are just right.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Raider Bill

Quote from: Norm on September 19, 2011, 08:11:53 AM
I got my first ever tag for the fall turkey season. Never hunted them before as I wanted them to get their population up. Looking forward to it and if anyone has tips on what to do that would help out.

Use a .22 head shots only no hit no kill. ;)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Thank You Sponsors!