iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

foul language, or lack there of.....

Started by jjmk98k, January 18, 2004, 08:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmk98k

I have been a member for about or week or so, been surfing all the posts from chainsaw maintenance to recipies, outdoor pictures to dead beavers..... and one thing I noticed.... lack of foul language ( except for the official cussword of DanG)

I am a member of other forums ( Mauser rifles, Monte Carlo SS ect ect...) and have seen some pretty heated discussions and a lot of cussing, but not so here.

I guess it kind of reflects on the quality of people that are registered here at this one. I imagine there have been some heated talks / words passed at this forum, but none that I have seen....

:D
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

shopteacher

Welcome to the forum jjmk98k.  You don't see those words spoke here because we are all god fearing, church going, upstanding folk that have no need or use for vulgar, sacrilegious,unhallowed forms of the English language. (Besides Jeff don't allow us).
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

I have to disagree a little here. We are not all Americans. This board is made up of folks from all over the world. And I appreciate every one of em. :)

To expound on what shop teacher mentioned about my not allowing it, well, I guess thats true, but the fact is, that in over 3 years I can count on my fingers the number of times I or one of the other administrators needed to warn someone or edit something because of ethical content.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

Your definitely right about not all being American and didn't mean any disregard to any forum members.  The reply was meant to be just a little sarcastic and a little humorous.  I know better than to listen to Old Butch,  bad dog!

With head hung low, Old Butch sandered away, but I think I seen a little smirk out of the corner of my eye as he did.  We changed the American to folk in the initial response.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

L. Wakefield

Not that we haven't encouraged him to stretch the envelope with creative use of asterisks.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Norm

All I'm gonna say is the last guy that had a disagreement with Jeff got turned into a pumpkin. ;D

Tom

That is what makes it such a pleasure to make this home.  It's the respect the members have for one another that keeps this site something that makes us proud.

If one pays attention to some of the old addages like:

Judged By The Company One Keeps

One night in late October,
When I was far from sober,
Returning with my load with manly pride,
My feet began to stutter,
So I lay down in the gutter,
And a pig came near and lay down by my side;
A lady passing by was heard to say:
"You can tell a man who boozes,
By the company he chooses,"
And the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Unknown

DanG

I think Tom hit the nail on the head. RESPECT is the reason you don't see profanity and argumentative statements here. We all have, and show, respect to Jeff, who is obviously a man of character, and to the other administrators, who are cut of the same cloth. These guys set the tone here, and are all very active participants in the discussions.  I have participated in a number of forums in the past, and have never found one, until now, where the forum's creator and owner takes an active role in the discussions, let alone invites us all to his house for dinner. :)
From time to time, someone states an opinion that may be strongly disagreeable to some, but nobody wants to make a fight out of it. I guess we all sorta go by an old cowboy addage:  Never pass up an opportunity to shut up! ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

EZ

I cuss a little, outside the forum, but talking and reading on here is very good practice when your around customers. I like it this way, I dont go on other forums because of all the cussing and caring on.
EZ

jjmk98k

Time spent on my other hobbies, The Mauser Rifle forum, people always saying thier rifle shoots better / worth more than yours, always picking each others rifles apart, gets old....

my hobby car, 1988 Monte Carlo SS, some good guys at that forum, but mostly young punks who got a GM "G" body for their first car and think it's the baddest on the block... always a place for a good forum fight.....

here, I have not seen any of this and thats pretty nice. I would imagine if it's here, it's all in good fun.

Another think thats nice, it seems to be quite a global forum..

LOL, I can't remember getting into a grudge match with anyone at work with a "my saw is better than your saw" battle like we do with the Ford, GM, Diamler-Chrysler, foreign car battles, thats always a hot topic at work :)

Heck, maybe i need to hang out here more so I quit cussing at work and start saying "Dang" instead of the other colorful words I use when things just are not going my way.

8)

Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

redpowerd

same with me, i try to only cuss at the cows, actually, just the stupid heifers.
ive seen other forums, and this is the only one where a village idiot like me wont get slanderd.
its amazing, elsewhere, to see honest questions get raped by folks who know too much but posess so little.
ive learned so DanG much in the year ive been here, i appreciate the wealth, and thank the whole lota ya for keepin such a clean stable. :)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DanG

:D  For some reason, this thread is reminding me of a little story about Mike Martin.  Now, Mike Martin is the coach of the Florida State University baseball team, and has been for a good number of years. He is just a good ol', down-home country boy, but has piled up an impressive record in FSU baseball. He's one of those guys who takes his players under his wing, and is a Father to them. He has taken more teams to the College World Series than anybody else I know of, but has never won the DanG thing. :-/
Anyway, Mike Martin is a man of sterling character, but he isn't above arguing a call with the umpire. One time, in a close game, a call at the plate went against his team, and he took great exception to it. He stormed out of the dugout and charged to the plate, where he had one of those in-your-face chinwags with the ump that baseball managers are famous for.  Of course, that didn't change anything, and the call stood. Coach Martin started stalking his way back to the dugout. About halfway there, he turned around and his face got red, and his eyes bulged, and the veins on his neck stood out, and he yelled at the top of his voice, "DADGUMMIT!"  They kicked him out of the game, and FSU won convincingly.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Duane_Moore

I don't belive real men need cuss words to explain themself's. or to make a point.  you can't respect others till you respect yourself.    Duh---Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Bro. Noble

Norm,

These guys are right,  of course,  but on the other hand,  someone has to keep 'the Big Guy '  on his toes ;D

There is a difference in opinion sometimes between what is humorous and what is vulgar.  There shouldn't be any difference in opinion,  however,  in having respect for God and one's fellow man.

P.S.   Being an illuminated punkin isn't too awful bad
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

Who's the big guy? Do I hear thunder? Noble you better duck. Or is that Turkey? ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave_Fullmer

Back in the early '50's when I was a kid, my Dad had a sticker on the inside of the old '33 Chev that we had that stated " Swearing is the effort of a limited mind to express itself"  I've never forgot it and whenever things don't go right and I cuss, that statement brings me up short.
If it aint Orange (AC that is) it won't run.

rebocardo

May be it is the calming effect of smelling red oak and cedar sawdust all day or knowing no matter how big you are, a tree can humble you right quick :-)

Ed_K

If I cuss everyone knows that a repair didn't or isn't going right and i scun up my body :D ::).
Ed K

EZ

When something is'nt going right for me and I say horse crap, my wife and who ever else knows me, they leave the area without saying a word.
EZ

Norm

My language can get a little colorful sometimes but I try to keep it in check and only use it when I really need to. Like getting that last pin in the 3 point.

This is the only forum I've ever been to that had such a nice feel to it for lack of better words. I don't go to the other ones any more cause I got so tired of the bickering at em. There have been an arguement or two here but only in a good way.

I can't tell you how much I've learned here from welding to sawing to working on engines.

The one saying I like is "your judged by the company you keep".

woodmills1

Back about 10 years ago I took one of my freshman students to the vice principal for swearing in class.  He looked the kid in the eyes and with a straight face said, "there will be no &*^  *&^%   *&*^%$# swearing in this school unless I do it."  Quite a learning experience for the student and for me. :o :o
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

jimbo

I think thats is what haponed to the CB radio good buddy,once was in most cars and trucks  but kids in cars got most of them taken out

slowzuki

I swear plenty in real life even in our office environment.  It just isn't offensive to most younger people.  As they say, they're only words!

I don't swear here or on TBN, respect for the forum rules and the parents.  People don't want their kids reading swears over their shoulder.

Texas Ranger

I have told this story before, but it has a point.  When I was 10 or so years old on the Merimac River in Missouri, my dad and I would fish out of an old aluminum john boat, him on one end, and me on the other.  One day a Cotton mouth dropped into the center of the boat from an overhanging limb, and my dad taught me every swear word that I have ever heard in about 30 seconds.  He also invented the live will that day, beating the bottom of that aluminum John Boat with an oar.

So, I will not attempt to educate the younger folk in the proper use and application of swear words.  I'll leave that to their folks. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

OneWithWood

Many years ago I was the manager of payment processing at the university I work at.  Every so often student would feel unduly put upon by our rules and payment schedules. Invariably they would start in on one of the tellers and I would intercede and invite them into my office for a chat.  Once in the office some would procede to impress me with the swear words they had learned.  I would always answer that I was more than willing to help them find a solution to whatever problem they had but they were going to have to speak to me in English.  It is amazing how fast attitudes are dropped when the conversation excludes expletives.  The students usually calmed down and we found a mutual solution to the problem and they left smiling.  On the occasion I ran into them again they always greeted me with a hello and a smile.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

karl

hey Jim-
Ain't that the truth- I've quit checking on the construction forums because of the colorful arguements and superior attitudes, also hotrod forums and old trucks. Tend to hang around where I feel accepted even if I ain't too smart. If I want to be ridiculed I call the ex wife.
If I want to hear cursing I just go to a construction site or pound my own thumb :D
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Gus

I hang out here because I make it a point to hang with the winners. ;) I've only been here a short while but long enough to see a few of you go through some tough stuff. I've been through some tough stuff myself. Its all in the attitude one takes with the things that happen. Overcoming, seemingly insurmountable odds, is done with the right attitude.
Attitude =Winner.
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

etat

DanG it, I like this forum........Only place I ever been where the official cussword was a person.   And a pretty DanG nice one at that!!!!!   8) 8) 8)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

pasbuild

The people @ this forum are very special, were else would you pack up the car drive hundreds of miles to a pig roast with a bunch of people you've never met before. For that matter were else would you get an invite like that ???
I think that says it all  ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Swede

I´ve to blush a little now. I use a English-English dictionary (more than You can belive) and know it´s not always the same as English-American.
But there is also some differece in culture. It happens there´s a part of an American  programme on TV when we hear a peep instead of a word, thousands of swedes checks their mobile-phone, washing machine, microwave oven, fire detctors........... finally change the TV channal thiking it´s time for a new TV!  :D

Some of You shouldn´t stand the Swedish TV, I´m happy You can stand me. Thak You!

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

sawhead

I will agree that this is one place that you can go and read and particpate in a disussion with out all the foul language and arguing.And I for one sincerly appreciate  it and would like to thank all for it.Everyone has their favorite mill or saw or way of doing things but its kept to a minimum of mines better than yours ;D. Probably most here keep their favorite swear words reserved for when a big ol piece of foreign object appears in the middle of an otherwise nice log ;D ;D
The journey of a thousand miles begins
with a broken fan belt and a leaky tire

oldsaw-addict

I think I can truthfully say, this is the most friendly, helpful and accepting place I've ever been on the web. I have 0 complaints about the way this site is run and moderated, very efficient and well controlled. everyones like a neighbor in a town that has like a population of 40 or 50 people and everyone knows and accepts everyone here as an individual not some moron that is talking out his you know what, I like being trated as an individual it feels so much better than those other forums that I've been a member of for a while. oh well, If them folks on the other forums want to act like immature fools let em just keep em there so we can keep our happy group as a happy forum and stay that way for good. I have never seen a forum this clean since the last time I saw a Rolls Royce dealership, thats pretty fine cleaning if you think about it because a Rolls Royce dealership is alway spotless. I am very happy here and thank the lord for the helpful people that hang out here every time I need that help. Its just a nice place to hang out and waste some extra time, the best thing in the world is a place where you are accepted and known by at least 100% of the others that are members. Thanks to all you moderators that work so hard to keep this forum so nice and clean, keep up the great work. :) :)
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Thank You Sponsors!