iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pricing a used Stihl ms 390

Started by Rooster, September 13, 2011, 08:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

There is a ms 390 on consignment at the local hardware/ Stihl dealer.  It has only been used three times, and is one year old.  The story is that the owner bought it thinking that he would be using it more, so he decided to part with it.   It has an 18" bar and looks new. They are asking $425.  Should I jump on it?  Any issues with the 390s?

Thanks,

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Ianab

Nothing "wrong" with the MS 390.  But it's Semi-pro saw, aimed at farmers and part time firewood cutters etc.

If you need a saw to run all day, every day, then it's not the one.

If you need a saw that you use for 2 hours every 2nd weekend. It's the right machine and will give you many years of faithful service.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Cut4fun

I seen a 039 in good running condition not long ago for low 200 range. If your going to carry the weight of a  ::) 290 310 you mise well carry it with 64cc in a 390.   
$425 seems high to me unless like new out of the box. Then again that dont mean nothing if it has been ran hot with dull chain and the piston and rings was hurt.

clww

I'd not go higher than $350, max. After all, it is a USED saw, no matter the great condition and appearance.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ladylake

You can get a new CS600 Echo of Ebay for just over $400, more saw for less money.  Or a used 6401 Makita at Home Deopt for under $250 sometimes.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Rooster

Well we bought the saw.  It's very nice, clean, never ran hot, and the dealer checked the cylinders and it all checked out.  I'll be thinning a stand of Red pine this weekend and some of the logs will be used as peeled rafters in a new timber-frame building using re-claimed barn beams.

Thanks for the advice.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

sparky1

i was gonna say it seems high for it used.. but you will be happy with the purchase requardless!!! I have the same saw and love it!!
Shaun J

Al_Smith

The 039/390 is okay for what it was designed for .Kind of odd though with Stihls' numbering system .Drop down one number to 038 and you have one of the most robust series of saws Stihl ever built .

Whatever anyone pays for saw is really none of business .If a person is happy with it I guess that's all that matters .However for the same  bucks  a very clean 038 Mag most likely could be landed .Whatever works though .

A couple years back I did some work on a guys' 039 .In test running the thing it seemed to do just fine .A couple cuts on 12 inch firewood really isn't much of a test though .

What I can say is to pay attention to the air filter and keep it clean .If the filter deteriates replace it .I've got a box full of both 039 and 029 parts in the shed from saws that died from bad filters .

knuckledragger

I got in this discussion a little late. However, I pulled a2014 ms390 out of a garbage can and the saw was submerged in water. Went to the owner of the garbage can asked him if I could have it. He said yes"it's junk anyway". No bar or chain, no side covers and the greater cover was missing. The saw was quite possibly the dirtiest saw I'd ever seen,plus it was locked up. That ms390 is in my shop floor right now having had multiple offers for the saw. I didn't change any parts out on the saw, I had old side covers laying around as well as bar and chain. I mentioned earlier about how dirty the saw was. Filth is why the saw stopped firing I believe. Submerged in water for extended amount of time is why the saw was locked up, I believe. All that said, If you sir want to spend $425 for a ms390 I would encourage you to do so. For the abuse the saw I aforementioned endured and is a good running 390 I'm sure you will get decades of service from it.

Thank You Sponsors!