iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

price for sawing

Started by wlf89, September 12, 2011, 11:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlf89

what is everyone charging to cut saw logs.
im in tn, and have been charging .20 cents a foot, need to go up
to .25 i think.  all on little bandmill.

Tom the Sawyer

Sounds low but depends on the market in your area.  I'm at .40 per b/f for 4/4, slightly less for thicker stock, all prices on my site.

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

carykong

We have had many a thread at this forum on sawing prices. If you have a manual mill with a modest production rate (like the one I owned), I did not try to compete against the bigger mills with the hp and hydraulics.  Establish an hourly rate that works for you and let the market come to you.  From personal experience,your customers will sort themselves. I ended up sawing very little pine or dimensional lumber and seemed to attract customers that wanted to salvage valuable hardwood trees off their property for personal use and hobby projects. If you want to keep busy between customers,although I never did this because of other committments, I would inventory and concentrate on valuable hardwoods and develop a customer list of hobbyist and small contractors that are looking for value when purchasing their hardwoods.  I charged by the hour and the bdft cost to my remote customers sorted out to around .50 to .95/bdft. Good luck.

Banjo picker

..  Are you talking about sawing at your place or on the road...?   I live in Ms...that could be just down the road from you or it could be most near 400 miles , but for good logs brought to my mill I get .25 for now.  If I were sawing mobil it would be more..Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

In our Mississippi Farm Market Bulletin, I see advertised saw prices from $160 to $250 per Mbf.  I charge hourly rate for special projects, beams, and for sawing Cedar.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

At 20 cents/BF on my LT15, I may as well work at McDonalds.  At least I would make more $ at McDonalds. 

It all depends on what your time is worth to you.  I don't custom saw much at all for this reason.  So, I don't care what the competition is sawing for.  If I can't get what I consider fair for my time and equipment investment (including log handling equipment), then I do something else.  I mainly saw high quality hardwoods, air dry the lumber, and sell the boards to woodworkers.  That is a different niche than production custom sawing.  What is your "niche"?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

Around this area, mobile sawyers get anywhere from $150.00-$175.00/MBF

Business is way down this year, and for some reason, people here (3 to be exact) are buying bandmills!

With business the way it is, makes me glad my mill is paid for!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!