iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ctl

Started by snowstorm, September 12, 2011, 07:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

for the ctl guys. what brand of bars and chains do you run? was using oregon switched over to sthil 2 weeks ago. so far i am very impressed. the chain is as good or better than oregon and the bars arent even in the same zip code. it has an oring around the oil hole so all the oil goes on the chain. the rails dont pack with sawdust. it has a lot of spring to it. i wont say you cant bend it but it takes a lot. so far so good

Bobus2003

Running a Windsor bar on my machine with a Oregon chain.. I cant complain about the bars.. the hold up really well, Have had then in some positions that you'd think they'd never work again, but comes out straight.. Have bent many though.. as for chains i have no complaints. running .404

I do like the idea of the oring on the oil holes.. would help with the lube

Ken

I've been running Oregon bars and chains since starting down the ctl road earlier this year.  I seem to be having good luck with them so far.  I was told that the Stihl bars hold up good but are a little less forgiving when mistakes are made.  Funny thing though I haven't bent nearly as many bars lately after getting some much needed hours in the seat. 

Nothing cuts like a brand new bar and chain.  Just put on new ones today and am always amazed at the difference.    It would be nice to be able to afford to put on new ones every day but at $60 for a bar and nearly $20 for a chain that is not an option in todays economy.

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

snowstorm

how is it going ken? only $60 for a bar? oh ya i forgot your money is worth more than ours now. if you can get sthil bars and chain try it.

amberwood

GB bars, Oregon 3/4 chain, its the only option. GB are to be releasing 3/4 chain later this year I think.  ~AU$500 per bar, plus another ~AU$100 per chain. It depends on how bars you buy at once. Oregon bars seem easier to bend, but are also easier to straighten. The GB bars have ALOT more spring in them. The last one that was seriously bent took the full weight of a 20t excavator leaning on it to get it back.
DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

snowstorm

i had some GB bars they did have a lot of spring to them. havent found anyone that stockes them. are they still importing them to the US? i run 404 $60 for a bar chains are $18

Jamie_C

The best combo we have found is Oregon bars and Stihl chains. I wouldn't put Stihl bars back on the machine i run for all the tea in China. The Stihl chains are a bit louder on the Oregon bars but that combo really works well for us.

Bobus2003

Quote from: snowstorm on September 14, 2011, 05:19:58 PM
i had some GB bars they did have a lot of spring to them. havent found anyone that stockes them. are they still importing them to the US? i run 404 $60 for a bar chains are $18

Yeah they are still being imported.. When I buy bars for my machine I get the Option of Windsor or GB.. I do like the GB but the Windsor is a few bucks cheaper. Running GB Bars on my Boom Delimber I run

snowstorm

where i see a big difference is cutting hardwood clumps of white maple. might be 6 trees to a clump so you cant always get a good grip on the tree. then it slides in the head. the oregon bent much easier. did strighten easy but also cracked in the rails

Thank You Sponsors!