iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2001 Timberjack 1410

Started by RobertR., September 12, 2011, 06:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertR.

I'm looking at a 2001 Timberjack 1410. I couldn't find any reading material about it but I did find the pamphlet for a Timberjack 1410b. I've also looked at some 1410d specs. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how a regular old 1410 compares to a 1410b or d. Is it the same machine, but newer or something like that?
Object to logging? Try using plastic toilet paper.

mad murdock

I can't help you RobertR on the TJ ? but I can welcome you to the Forestry Forum.  Someone will be along with useful info for you in a bit. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jamie_C

The B's, C's, D's are just model upgrades made in some years ... For 2001 the 1410B is probably the info you want.

RobertR.

Thanks. That's good to know because the only spec books I've been able to find are for the 1410b.

RobertR.

Quote from: RobertR. on September 12, 2011, 07:33:48 PM
Thanks. That's good to know because the only spec books I've been able to find are for the 1410b.

Any idea on how a Timberjack 1410 compares to a Valmet 860? Most of the research I did when I first became interested in a forwarder was on the Valmet 860/890. From what I heard Valmet was considered to be top of the line, but I'm sure the other brands are on the same level.

barbender

I hear Timberjack parts are becoming hard to get, at least for the processors.
Too many irons in the fire

Jamie_C

The 1410 should compare quite well with the 860 ... I think the 890 was a bigger machine if memory serves me right.

Barbender ... the biggest problem with parts is that most dealers stock very little anymore .. they are usually ordered in from a warehouse somewhere ... this is the same for most brands of forestry gear now.

RobertR.

Quote from: Jamie_C on September 13, 2011, 06:29:09 PM
The 1410 should compare quite well with the 860 ... I think the 890 was a bigger machine if memory serves me right.

Barbender ... the biggest problem with parts is that most dealers stock very little anymore .. they are usually ordered in from a warehouse somewhere ... this is the same for most brands of forestry gear now.

Yes the 890 clocks in at about 21 tons and the 860/1410 is somewhere around 18 to 18 1/2 tons. Do you know how the Timberjack 1410 differs from the 1710 other than the weight? I'm assuming it might have a smaller loader and possibly a lighter duty transmission.

Jamie_C

The biggest difference between the 1410 and 1710 is the payload, the 1410 has a 14 tonne payload capacity and the 1710 has a 17 tonne capacity. In the Timberjack/John Deere forwarders the first two digits of the model number is the payload capacity of the machine.

I think they have the same engine and loader but different sized hydraulic pumps and hydrostat motors. There isn't a transmission in these machines, just a transfer case and a hydrostat motor. The fuel economy per tonne/cord of payload put to roadside will be about the same with both machines.

RobertR.

Quote from: Jamie_C on September 14, 2011, 04:07:20 AM
The biggest difference between the 1410 and 1710 is the payload, the 1410 has a 14 tonne payload capacity and the 1710 has a 17 tonne capacity. In the Timberjack/John Deere forwarders the first two digits of the model number is the payload capacity of the machine.

I think they have the same engine and loader but different sized hydraulic pumps and hydrostat motors. There isn't a transmission in these machines, just a transfer case and a hydrostat motor. The fuel economy per tonne/cord of payload put to roadside will be about the same with both machines.

What about the rears/bogies? Are they the same on the 1410/1710?

Jamie_C

The bogies are heavier on the 1710 ... should be 17/18 tonne bogies front and rear on it and 14 tonne bogies front and rear on the 1410

240b

Didn't those have a geared "balanced bogie" which evened out the torque between the wheels?  It didn't have that big chain case like a road grader.    The big problem is you will have to deal with deere to get many parts, how do like the local dealer, and do the know anything about forestry equipment ?  or even care about forestry customers.

Jamie_C

Quote from: 240b on September 14, 2011, 07:59:51 PM
Didn't those have a geared "balanced bogie" which evened out the torque between the wheels?  It didn't have that big chain case like a road grader.    The big problem is you will have to deal with deere to get many parts, how do like the local dealer, and do the know anything about forestry equipment ?  or even care about forestry customers.

Yup they do have "balanced bogies". They have been standard on forwarders and wheeled harvesters for quite awhile.

Thank You Sponsors!