iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

is this a wood splitter wedge

Started by rebocardo, January 17, 2004, 05:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

I think this is an older hand held wood splitting wedge. It is fairly rusty so I can not tell if the handle is suppose to slide up once you hit the wedge top and drive it into the wood.

The handle itself is about 18 inches long and it appears to be cast iron?

J_T

Looks like a pipe reamer to me.Never hit much cast iron with any luck
Jim Holloway

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

Right on about the pipe reamer.  Odd though and got me to thinking.  Somewhere I have either seen for sale, or a picture of a splitting wedge with sort of the same shape, without the handle.  Didn't think much of it at the time.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

rebocardo

Thank You!

I was kind of leary of hitting this thing with a steel mallet and I am glad I did not. Pipe reamer it is!

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and Home Depot sell splitting wedges that look like this that are solid metal cones. I bought one and it works well with very dry birch and such. Works lousy with sweet gum.

Tom

Everything works lousy with Sweet Gum. :D

Thank You Sponsors!