TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Margeson Insurance

Peterson Swingmills

Pacforest Supply Company

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Farmi Winch Direct

Comstock Logging

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Speedpro Kinetic energy log splitter from TSC  (Read 23343 times)

Offline HOGFARMER

• Full Member x2
  • Farming feeds the world.
Speedpro Kinetic energy log splitter from TSC
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:54:43 pm »
Noticed that TSC has a new Speedpro kinetic energy log splitter on their website at $1699.00.  It says it uses 2 seventy pound flywheels, and has a cycle time of 2.5 seconds.  What do you thinik about it?  Am considering buying one. give me an opinion on it is made by Speeco.  Thanks!
Manual LT-30

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
Re: Speedpro Kinetic energy log splitter from TSC
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:01:03 pm »
Just a comment on the kinetic type splitters. I was telling a friend how they looked interesting and he said the local rent all had tried renting them for about a year and then switched back to hydraulics. I am not sure if the problem was maintenance or safety but they didn't last.
I am either committed or should be committed, depends on who you ask. July 12, 2014

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:02 pm »
They work but are a little risky for rental purposes. Too easy to get careless and be hurt.
The one I have seen, a Gripo, was fast but needed constant maintenance. Pitch would build on the beam and cause the ram to bind on the return stroke. Pam oven spray helped a bit. The other problem was the small roller bearings between the ram flange and the underside of the beam. On the forward stroke the ram is pushed up necessitating the bearings but they needed to be replaced frequently.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline BAR

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »
Talk about safety!  I remember, years ago, stopping in to see a fella in Maine and he was splitting wood in the front yard.   His kinetic energy splitter was an old one lunger, carcass driven from an electric motor. It had massive dual flywheels and he had rigged up a vertical wedge assembly that continuously moved up and down.  I donít remember the mechanical linkage details but he was setting there on an apple box feeding that splitter 16 ď firewood in perfect rhythm with that moving wedge.  Still get nightmares visualizing his hand placing the chunk of wood and supporting it under that always-moving wedge -----

bar
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

Offline millwright

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:41:26 pm »
I have seen a couple made from old balers and they worked really good, but you have to pay attention to what your doing or risk losing some body parts.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:56:56 pm »
I once watched a Father and  his approximately 12 year old Son using a screw splitter driven by the PTO on their tractor.  It worked very well.

I read in the newspaper the next week that the Son got some of his clothing tangled in the screw.  I still wince when I even think about it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini/Kohler

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline postville

• Full Member x2
    • Postville Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:58 pm »
I have a Super Split and love it. Very economical on fuel. Honda 5hp motor will run 4 hours on a tank of gas. Very fast on the return stroke. If it won't split on the first hit, just keep hammering and it will go through.
Once a hydraulic stalls, that's it , this is like driving a nail.
Yes it can be dangerous. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:48 pm »
Postville I have had a kinetic described to me and have seen pictures on the web but I don't know what happens when it doesn't split. Could you describe it in more detail please?
I am either committed or should be committed, depends on who you ask. July 12, 2014

Offline postville

• Full Member x2
    • Postville Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:11:33 am »
A motor drives two flywheels connected by a shaft with pinion gear. A rack is positioned above that with the pucher on the end. There is an over center toggle arraingment  that pushes the rack into contact with the pinion and the ram moves forward pushing the log into a stationary wedge. The over center toggle then snaps out and springs return the ram.
Try to imagine stopping the flywheels, there is a lot of stored energy in them. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Offline tnttreeman

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:15 pm »
I just bought one of the Speeco kinetic splitters and let me tell you this is one heck of a machine. I have owned 4 hydraulic splitters, my current one is a 12 hp 35 ton model with a 4 way wedge, and the speeco splitter will split circles around it. There are still logs that we will use the hydraulic splitter for, such as busting up big rounds into quarters, but when it comes to actual piece splitting the inertia splitter will be the one.
I process firewood commercially and we do 300- 400 cord per year, depending on the weather and how much wood we can get our hands on. This weekend I split two dump truck fulls, one took me 2 hours and the other 3 hours(because I had to quarter up some big logs and deal with unjamming logs that got stuck in the conveyor).  Before getting the mechanical splitter, it would take two of us a bit over 3 hours to fill the truck. Now I am able to do it myself in 2 hours if there are no problems and I don't have to bust up big logs first.
The money is welll spent on this machine. It was $1800 after tax and that's $500 less than the closest priced flywheel splitter I was able to find (the DR Rapid Fire). If you're processing alot of wood, it's worth the money.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 10:52:34 pm »
Welcome to the forum
Glad you like your new splitter.

Wondering why with that many cords, that you are not running a processor?
Where are you located and what species firewood to you split?

Anyone know if this Speedpro is a chinese knockoff of the Super-split kinetic energy splitter?
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline tnttreeman

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:08 pm »
Cost of the processor just isn't worth it to me to own one. Maybe one day, but not now. Also, we cut most of the logs on-site to firewood length, so a long length processor wouldn't work for us. It would be valuable when we bring in log trucks full to supplement what we produce, but I deal with a guy with a processor who is willing to do it for us as needed.
I own a tree service in Pennsylvania, so we process all of the hardwood trees we cut down in a year. In the past, that has been dominantly maple, oak, and cherry, but now that the emerald ash borer has a good hold in our area, we do alot of white ash as well. We sell a variety of options with our firewood - mixed woods, all cherry, all oak, all hickory, all locust, and all apple, depending on what our customers want and how they are going to use it.
As far as I know, this isn't a Chinese knock-off. There are a number of different inertia splitters on the market, not just Super Split. Gripo, Dr Rapid Fire, Speeco, and even a locally made one in Ohio, quite ironically manufactured by Amish guys!

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 07:15:03 am »
Welcome tnttreeman, to  the Forestry Forum.   :)

http://www.speeco.com/speedpro/

I use a Speeco "Quick Hitch" on my tractor.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini/Kohler

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline tnttreeman

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 07:03:24 am »
Thanks for the "welcomes" guys, glad to be here.

We did a side by side comparison yesterday - the flywheel splitter vs the hydraulic splitter. We were doing pin oak logs and roughly the same size logs for each machine. My hydraulic machine is a Huskee 35 ton with a 12 hp motor and 4 way wedge. Using 3 guys, we split and stacked a half cord of pin oak logs with the hydraulic splitter in 28 minutes flat. Using the Speeco inertia splitter, we did the same half cord split and stacked in 17 minutes 36 seconds. Just to be certain that our time was right, we split and stacked another half cord in almost exactly the same time. Huge time savings over the course of a day!

Offline WH_Conley

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to tide my profile!
    • Stone Hill Hardwoods
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 08:11:44 am »
About the 35 ton with 4 way wedge. How much faster would you say it is than with the standard wedge. I just got a 4 way for mine, haven't used enough to tell anything about it yet.
Bill

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:39:12 am »
So what does happen to the kinetic if the block does not split. Does it retract to home position so you can give it another or does the block have to be manually removed.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 08:59:26 am »
I have used the Supersplit, and seen other kinetics and they are awesome. You can quickly bury yourself.

From a rental perspective, it had to be a safety issue. I cannot imagine the average suburban "Joe" being savvy enough to not get hurt.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Offline tnttreeman

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 10:49:31 pm »
WH, there is a definite time advantage with the 4 way, but only on certain logs. I wouldn't want a fixed 4 way. Ours slips on and off. If you have logs that are 8 to 10 inch diameter, that's where the 4 way shines. Or if you are splitting up quarters, it's good there too. Probably reduces splittiing time by a third with the right pieces, maybe more.

R.man, the ram does retract if it doesn't split all the way through and you can just give it another whack. Very rarely does it get stuck. One of the tricks to using the inertia splitter is to put the knot end toward the wedge when you go to split and the ram will push right through it. If the log doesn't have any knots, I doubt that you'd ever not be able to split it with one whack. We split all the elm we had before I got this splitter, but it's the only stuff that I'm curious to see if it will split with one hit. I had some poplar that would rip when I tried to split it with the hydraulic splitter, but it split right in half with the inertia splitter.

As far as the rental thing, the safety had to be the factor. This machine is FAR FASTER than any hydraulic splitter I've ever ran and requires you to pay attention to it at all times. When splitting knotty would especially. I've had pieces where I didn't put the knot end to the wedge and when the ram pushed it through and caught the knot on the end, it actually flipped the piece up in the air and back onto the cradle to where it started from. If you don't have your eyes on this machine ALWAYS, it certainly does have the potential to hurt you in a hurry.

Offline JP135

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:39 am »
Anybody seen the Logrite splitter/processor first hand? I'm sure it's not cheap, but from the video I'm really impressed. I like the ability to yard logs, using the capstan winch to load logs onto the table and the ability to work standing up.

If the link doesn't work, just google "logrite splitter processor" and the YouTube video will show up.

Offline Ironwood

• Senior Member x2
  • I need to edit my profile!
    • http://www.branchandburl.com
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 09:22:03 am »
You know they must be good if Kevin and Tami have adopted the same thing for their processor  ;) (notice it is BLUE smiley)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer