iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log lathe?

Started by Nantahala Forest Products, September 11, 2011, 09:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nantahala Forest Products

I'm thinking of building a log lathe to use with my Lucas Mill to turn round, columns and D shaped logs. I have most of the steel, parts and the tools do it, my thinking is my out of pocket expenses will be at most $500. My question is do you guys think there is a good enough market to justify the construction time and cost of constructing such a device?
Nantahala is not the land of the noon day sun but actually means the maiden's bosoms

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jasperfield

Welcome to the Forum. Are you near the gorge, Franklin, Andrews, ...?

Yes, I'm in the Gorge just a mile or so above the put in.
Nantahala is not the land of the noon day sun but actually means the maiden's bosoms

As far as the lucas jig on the link yeah kinda like that but I plan on making either a hydraulic or electric turner. The one shown on the link is manual making a octagonal cant which I could also accomplish with a powered turner, but is it worth the effort? I'm new to the sawmill business as I got my Lucas Mill as a hobby but due to the economy am looking to earn some money with it. I am not interested in being a portable sawyer and believe that in order to make a reasonable amount one needs to carve out a niche. i got the idea for making a log lathe out of my Lucas from using a table saw to cut a circle. But my question is still would there be a market for what I could produce with such a setup. I just don't know the market for round logs, solid tapered/round columns or maybe flag poles as i can get black locust which would be great for that maybe even ship masts.

Jeff, i didn't even know that Wood-Mizer even made such a animal as the Lathe-Mizer, very neat thanks for the link.

logboy

I made a setup for turning log rolling logs on my lucas mill.

The thread is right here:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,52255.msg753738.html#msg753738

I have turned around 60 logs with it so far.  It works, but I'm tired of turning the logs by hand for the final cut (I only have one arm). I'm planning on redoing it this winter with a small engine and hydraulic setup to turn them. The setup is scalable up to as long as the mill will saw and as short as I want.  Log rolling logs are 12-13' long but I've done a couple 20' pines for log home companies. Its a lot of screwing around mounting the log and getting it setup. But once you are ready to go the milling is fast.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

SwampDonkey

I was wondering if there was a market for turned telephone poles. Around here they are tapered with the tree growth, and then with long poles there is tree sweep to consider. I know they round poles with something because you can see the marks on the poles and the knots are all scraped flush.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

logboy

I buy cedar logs from a pole distributor.  All they do is run the trees through the debarker. Thats the rounding marks you're seeing.

I like the way you think Logboy! Your setup gives me the confidence to know that it will positively work. I was thinking, like yourself, of using a hydraulic pump and motor to turn my logs. Plus, I am thinking it would be nice to incorporate a hydraulic lifting apparatus (probably just a set of hydraulic hinged arms) for mounting the spindles on to save on the labor of raising the logs.

You have turned 60 logs so far? How long have you had it built? I know it is a nice feature to be able to turn round logs but so far have you made any money with it? Do you expect too? Forgive me for asking about money but I would like to know if there is a demand for rounded logs before I sink my time into building a log lathe.

Thanks alot for your post and pictures Logboy

beenthere

Seems that is a good question to find out before making a jig to produce round logs out of round logs. :)

Logs for log rolling contests would be one, and for poles another. Porch posts maybe, but I prefer the natural look over a turned post.
And for sure, they will have splits from shrinkage in them.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hackberry jake

I have been pondering building a larger version of this. It's a router lathe. The one I have currently can turn about 12" logs down to 11" posts/columns maximum. The next one I build will have both the router feed and log turning speed timed together so I can produce spiral porch columns. Or threaded poles. When I first posted about my router lathe I got a lot of questions and interest about it. I promised to create a post to give detailed descriptions about its construction and how it works. Guess I need to get on the ball. The hardest part is slowing everything waaay down. The log spins about 15 rpm. Much safer that way with big logs and easier for the router to eat it. Another mod the new one needs is the ability to speed up for sanding purposes.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SwampDonkey

Round poles from round poles. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wormy

i live in east tn below knoxville here they're many people building log cabins using round rafter beams, porch post and spindles. so there may be a market for some but i dont know about trying to make a living with it

logboy

What I turn logs for is a very small niche market. I get the occasional log home builder looking for a log "exactly 12 inches" but not a whole lot. The entire setup can be very time consuming and tedious. Still, I plan on rebuilding my setup with hydraulics to take some of the grunt work out of it.  For a 12 or 13' log rolling log (WRC) I charge $100. The longest part is getting it mounted. Sawing is the fast part. I've done 60 in the last 3 years.  I'm looking for large lathe components (head and tail stock) to rebuild it like an actual lathe complete with lift mechanisms for mounting the log. Look on youtube for log home lathes and you'll see some good examples.

SwampDonkey

There are veneer lathes used here to make aspen veneer for berry boxes. I was in a shop one time about 25 years ago and it appeared to me it was a home fabricated lathe. But it was so long ago that my memory could be a bit foggy on that part. The bolts would be 100" that was being lathed. Then they cut it and had some type of stapling machine to staple a rim around the top holding two folded veneer strips 90 degrees to one another. Pretty fast and simple berry box. All the strawberries around these parts are packed in these berry boxes. It was interesting at the time, as plastic berry boxes were coming out in competition. I couldn't imagine using plastic when a aspen box could rot in the ground when tossed and plastic lasts forever. I guess it's the same with bags. The cost is not just in the making, but the solid waste issue. But I digress. ;)

Hilltop366

Like this SD?

There just happened to be one next to my desk.

SwampDonkey

Meadows Miller

Gday

My Family and I run a Woodlandia LL41 Log Lathe and a Full Round Master log building cuut up line back home in Australia we have the first one imported there and all I can say about the company is that they build a bloody good machine line that with the rite operator can do well above their stated capacity  ;) and that Andrew is a top bloke to deal with  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

I think the LL41 lathe that will do all the lathing and notching for a log home starts at about $19k ex Canada  ;) 

Our best day at home doing 10" dia 18 ' long logs was 30 logs for the day just doing the lathe and the cope  ;)

I hope this helps Mate

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!