iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First One Thing, Leads to Another

Started by WDH, September 11, 2011, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I got a call from a guy who wanted to buy some wood to make a rustic outdoor table to go under his covered porch.  I had some wormy ash and some other "rustic" wood for him to look at.  He wanted the table to be about 8 feet long, a little less than 4 feet wide so he could seat 8 people around it.  We looked at a bunch of different wood and talked prices.  He liked knots, holes, splits, worm channels, and other "defects".

Once I understood what he was looking for I said, "Shoot, if it was me, for the money, I would use some of this lower grade walnut and really spiff it up".  So we went with "rustic",  sappy, wormy, knotty, walnut boards that are usually the first boards cut off the log.  These boards are hard to sell most times as they have more cup, check, and warp.  We talked about how to build the table and it was obvious that he had never done anything like this.  I told him that he needed to plane the wood instead of using it rough to make the boards flat.  Well, he did not have a planer.  I said, "Well, I could plane them for you".  He was all over that.  Then I told him how to put the top together.  It was clear that he did not know what to do.  I said, "Here, let me show you what I am talking about".  Pretty soon, the table top was built.  I told him that he would need a base, and I told him how I would do it.  "Here, let me show you what I am talking about".

Well, you can see where this is going.  What started as a guy wanting to buy some rustic boards for a table became a hands-on woodworking session (actually 2 sessions) where I showed him how to do it and let him help me do it.  

First one thing, turned into another.  Here are the results:

The table has a live edge on the two long edges.

I glued up the legs from 4/4 boards.  We used through tenons for the side stretchers that were pegged with a long walnut dowel.  The long stretcher that connects the two side stretchers had through tenons with a locking "key".

It cost him a bunch more than he originally intended, but he was very happy with it.  Plus, he got to help.  I don't usually do this, but it was fun working with this young fellow!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

smiley_clapping

That looks great!  Please tell me we'll see a pic of it with some finish. :)

You are going to get into the furniture retail biz now that you're retired, right?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

metalspinner

Oh,
BTW, that table is going to end up in his kitchen and he will come back looking for some really rustic boards for his porch. :D

fishpharmer

You have yourself a new customer and more importantly, a new friend.

I agree MS, its going in the kitchen. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

I told my wife that I should have tapered the base of the legs to give them a more refined look.  She said that that was not what he wanted and said that , "It looked 1800", as in the year 1800.  I don't know if that was complimentary or not  :).

The retail furniture making business is probably a lot like the logging business.  It is a good way to lose a lot of money  :D. 

Fortunately, when I told him how to put the finish on the table, I did not make the fateful statement, "Here, let me show you what I am talking about".  ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Danny, I am disappointed that you just didn't help him finish the table. :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D :D :D      ( Chris has rubbed off on me. )
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

With the finish, it will be beautiful, even with all the defects  ;D.

I did not want to "finish" what I started.  I have had to "rub off" a few finishes in my day  :).

Magicman

Well the table looks wonderful, even if one thing did lead to another.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

Danny, that table looks outstanding!  Kudo's to you for offering such great customer service!!!

SS
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

T Welsh

WDH, there are no defects on the table. its call character. great job. Tim

Norm

Danny I'm wanting to buy some wood for a project, you busy?  :D

That is gorgeous!

ellmoe

Dan, I'd like you to show me how to build a table, too. Unfortunately, I'm busy now, so you can just e-mail the pictures while we work on it. When we finish it, you can bring it down here and I'll help you unload it. No thanks is necessary, I'll be happy to help. :D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

submarinesailor

Hey Danny.

I would like to buy some lumber for a whole kitchen - cabinets and all the other stuff needed for a complete rebuild. :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D  And, if you ask my wife, she will tell you that I need all the instruction I get get. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Bruce

Mooseherder

That was a very nice thing you did for the young man Danny.
I bet he remembers that forever.
The table is fantastic. :)

pineywoods

Huh, must be a FF thing. I went through almost the exact same thing with some cedar boards and a make-up bench/table. The guy is a local cop, maybe a get-out-of-jail favor  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

isawlogs

All of a suden you have a lot of business in the making , you're going to be way to busy to visite in the near futur    ;D 
Nice looking table  Danny  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

red oaks lumber

great job on the table danny :) now i suppose they are going to wreck it by eating grits at it ;D 8) 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

A nice table like that deserves a good bowl of grits.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I wonder why, suddenly, everybody wants to buy wood from me  ???.  Must be the economy is improving  ???, or maybe it is something else.  Hmmmm  :P.

Mark has the best plan.  It will be a virtual table made from virtual rustic lumber  :D.  Norm, if you agree to cook, you can come buy rustic lumber anytime!

Wasn't there a story somewhere about a lady named Pandora  :).

Steve, this will become a "Grits Table".  If we make it out of red oak, it will be a Red Oak Lumber Grits Table  :D.

Tom always says it is all about marketing  ;D.  I can hear it now, "Honey, I want a Grits Table for Christmas."  However, I doubt that it will not be a big seller in Maine  :-\.

Lud

ellmoe,    the guys may have overlooked the wit of your above comment,  but I want to say it captured the tone of some  BUD of mine asking for a favor  "above and beyond" because " You'll do it better".

You'd think after the first few decades,  I woulda wised up.

My compliments on your writing.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

red oaks lumber

danny, you make a table from red oaks i'll have to come down and try these things called "grits" ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

I got some drying right now.  (red oak that is, not grits  :)).

Mark, since you are so busy, I will bring down a helper to help unload our table  ;D.

thecfarm

That table would still be a good seller in Maine. Even calling it the Grits Table. That looks some nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I think the table looks nice, and I also think the young fellow musta been a good talker.  :D :D I think there will be some fine grub served on it in some kitchen.  That's not destined for any porch, unless it's on the way into the kitchen. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ellmoe

Quote from: WDH on September 13, 2011, 07:35:46 AM
IMark, since you are so busy, I will bring down a helper to help unload our table  ;D.

Thanks Dan, thats mighty considerate. Makes me want to let you help me build a couple of beches to match. Why don't you come in the evening, it's pretty hot during the day now. If you get sweaty you might drop my table, and it would upset me terrible if you had to make another one.  ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

ellmoe

Quote from: Lud on September 12, 2011, 10:22:53 PM

You'd think after the first few decades,  I woulda wised up.

My thoughts exactly whenever a pretty girl smiles and gets me to do something I wouldn't do for a hairy old man! :D

WDH

I have some thick, rustic, maple slabs that would make nice bench............  :-\.  I can see now that they are going to get me in big trouble  :).

metalspinner

If it's gotta be done, it might as well be done right.

WDH

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: metalspinner on September 13, 2011, 08:44:22 PM
If it's gotta be done, it might as well be done right.

And as John Wayne almost said, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do..."

WDH, you know you just gotta do it, so pull out those slabs and get started on the benches. After all, that family is probably getting pretty tired of eating standing up at the new Grits Table...

Herb

SwampDonkey

Then old Clint stepped in and said, "A man's got to know his limitations". Then the bad guy says, "I gots to know". Then Clint aims his revolver "click".  :D :D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

A stand-up Grits Table might be a new trend?  Nope, probably not  :).

Coon

Just trim the legs down then they will be able to sit and not have to worry about benches.   ;D  ;) 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

Or, we could set the table up around some stumps  :D.

metalspinner

WDH,
To get a proper stump, you first need to plant a tree in each spot around the table.  Then at just the right time when the tree gets to the proper diameter, you cut it down and trim the stump level so as you aren't leaning when you are at the table.

This also gives you quite a few more logs to mill! 8)

WDH

Nothing like a little long term planning?  I would prefer walnut, but that might crack a few noggings around the table in the Fall  :).

ljmathias

Very nice, WDH, and the table looks good, too...  :D

So who's the proud owner of this table?  Fishpharmer seems a little possessive- and he can sure talk your arm off.

Do I recall right that you'll be at the Southern Chapter meeting next Saturday?  Where Chris will be milling up some fresh red oak?  Where there will be plenty of (unskilled as well as) skilled woodworking help?  So maybe between you and the rest coming, tools could be assembled and red oak grits table result from all the sawing, eating and socializing?  Oh, and have you got a patent yet on the grits table?   ;)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

No patent, yet......and, I will not be at the Soiree next weekend.  However, Dodgy Loner can fill in nicely for me  ;D.

fishpharmer

Anyone would be proud to own such a fine table, especially me.  LJ, its not mine, I didn't even talk one leg off that table.   Danny and I have been friends for sometime now, his arms are safe. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

We will have plenty of "stumps" and "tables" to pull up and sit on while watching Meadows Miller tackle that big old Red Oak log.   :)

ljmathias

Is it going to take that long that we have to have something to sit on while we watch?  I thought a Lucas was fast in the hands of a pro...   :D

My guess is, he's going to be wore out driving back and forth to Mobile- he might even squeeze in a round-trip between Friday evening and Saturday morning, meaning no sleep.  What's that song that includes rain?  I love a rainy day?  or the other one about "something" love where the guy drives all night to get back to his sweetie?

Ah, well, at least we'll have some of MM's famous too-well-done-to-eat chicken to not eat together.   8)

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Quote from: ljmathias on September 19, 2011, 07:32:16 PM
Ah, well, at least we'll have some of MM's famous too-well-done-to-eat chicken to not eat together.   8)  Lj 

:o   Talking about this  ???

Or this  ???

Radar67

LJ, the song is "I love a rainy night".
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

ljmathias

Thanks, Radar- and the other one?  Something like "messed up love" but not those words... oh, well, memory ain't what it used to be, and never was, if I remember right.   :D

Lj

Thank You Sponsors!