iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Product Review - Champion 22 ton log splitter

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, September 11, 2011, 06:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

I split a lot of wood and always take notice when I see a wood splitter I have not yet had the pleasure to look at or try out.

Today, for the first time, I encountered the Champion 22 ton log splitter which sells for anywhere between $999 and $1299. I actually got the opportunity to assist in splitting about a cord of wood with it. Here are my findings:

Pro's
1. Fairly compact and light weight. Good size tires that made it easy to relocate by hand during splitting
2. Large capacity fuell tank
3. Fairly quick cycle time and easy to operate hydraulic valve
4. Good wedge design that led to effective splitting of all sorts of wood. The wedge is actually angled such that the top cutting edge of the wedge makes contact with the log first. This seamed to help it splitter tougher logs a bit better.
5. Side wings keep logs from falling to the ground so you can just reposition and split them again.

Con's:
1. Cheaply made with light gauge metal and hardware. Although it comes with the side wings standard, they are very flimsy. Within 15 minutes of use, both of them were already bent and I can not see them holding up to any serious use.
2. Very thin tubing used for tounge, hitch, and frame. Will not take much to bend
3. Most dissapointing- After using it for an hour, we had to stop. 2 of the 4 bolts used to secure the hyraulic cylinder to the frame on one side of the splitter literally sheared their heads off. Now we get to have fun with drills and easy outs after only one hour of use. This looks like an inherent design flaw. 4 1/4-20 bolts on each side dont look like they are beefy enough to counteract 22 tons of splitting force. I would expect this will be a re-occuring problem on this splitter
4. Very stupid placement of the motor and its associated gas tank. If you get a log stuck on the splitting wedge and retract it, if the log has spread far enough apart, you could literally shear the gas tank right off the engine if you retracted the splitting wedge and did not notice that the split piece was headed for the fuel tank. Moving the motor over a few more inches would have definately solved this problem.

Summary:
This does not impress me as a splitter that will stand the test of time, if fact it did not even hold up for and hour worth of fairly moderate use. Much better choice in this price range would be the Speeco 22 ton splitter sold at Tractor Supply. I have helped a friend split several dozen cords of wood with his Speeco 22 ton and it is by far superior to the Champion 22 ton and is built twice as tough. Save your money and leave the Champion 22 ton splitter in the store as a pretty looking display item.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

fishpharmer

Thanks for the review busy beaver.  I had just noticed them at TS the other day.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

If I had bought it.I would return it. Than try another brand. That sounds like a piece of junk to me. How will it be after 5 years of use? It's too bad things like that are sold.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dean186

Magicman

Champion manufacturers a very good generator, and their customer service is very reliable.  It looks like they may be lacking in their "mechanical" skills.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chefferies

I've also had some problems with the Champion 22 ton log splitter.  I bought it last year, used it for 2 weeks and the weld holding the I beam to the end plate broke (splitting sugar maple).  After contacting Champion and finding a repair shop nearby, I waited 8 months before the "new" I beam section was sent to the repair shop !!  I used the splitter again for a couple of weeks when the bolt holding the wedge sheered off, replaced it and stored it for the winter.  Just this week, I pulled the splitter out , split 3 pieces of poplar and broke the weld on the I beam and end plate again  >:(  (No, I'm not splitting the wood sideways) 

I've also owned a Speeco 15 ton splitter for about 5 years, and no problems.  I was tired of lifting huge logs onto the splitter and wanted one that would work vertically as well.  With the Speeco, we've had to use a back hoe and chains to lift some logs onto the splitter.  I guess I should have done some more research first.

For anyone looking to buy a splitter, don't cheap out.  Get something that won't cause you problems.  Stay away from the Champion 22 ton.

My 3 cents.

thecfarm

Chefferies,welcome to the forum. Reviews? should of found us first.  ;D  Hindsight is 20/20 for me too. I have vertical one and glad I have it. Yes,someone can pick them up with a loader,but I have MANY that need to be picked up. It's not to easy to get those big one under the vertical part either. I have really worked my splitter. I have bent the so called log cradles a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chefferies

What make, model, and size wood splitter are you using?  I've taking mine back and need something that splits both horizontal and vertical.

I like my 15 ton Speeco, and would buy another bigger one, if they still make it.

Champion should stick with making Generators, and never attempt welding.

thecfarm

Mine is a cub cadet,6.5 OHV briggs,27 ton. I have never stalled it out and a few times it will shear,instead of split. I've seen one that looks just about the same as one I have at TS. I think a certain place makes some of them and ask what color you want it and what name you want.  ;) Seem like I was up there the other day and saw one for $1000 that looked good,I think a Huskie. It was a smaller one,not the bigger one.But as you know,looks don't split wood. Good luck with your search.

Logging logginglogging

A lot of time they have cheap hardware on things like this and good replacement bolts uaually solve the problem. If not I would weld that cylender right to the fram. You could always grind your welds to get in back off if needed to rebuild the cylinder, but from the sounds of it when that cylender finally goes you might not even bother fixing this thing.

snowstorm

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on March 26, 2013, 07:39:42 AM
A lot of time they have cheap hardware on things like this and good replacement bolts uaually solve the problem. If not I would weld that cylender right to the fram. You could always grind your welds to get in back off if needed to rebuild the cylinder, but from the sounds of it when that cylender finally goes you might not even bother fixing this thing.
weld the cyl to the frame???????? noooooooo

clww

The cylinder on my splitter moves around a bunch on both ends. A weld would not last.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Logging logginglogging

A good weld would, I have an ond splitter I welded for the same reason and have had no issues

clww

After 25 years working on hydraulic systems, I'll stick with my previous post. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

I've met all too often with the results of the "fixers" that take the shortcut and weld it together.  ::)

If the splitter is poorly designed, then the repair welder should have been able to add to the design and put in reinforcing steel to take the load off the weld that broke the second time. Make it right at least the second time around,  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Logging logginglogging

And thats exactly wht i did I made it right.... I am actually a professional welder / fabricator, so I am quite confident that my fix is good lol.....

clww

So, let me see if I am understanding this correctly. You welded the cylinder to the frame itself, not welded a bracket that the cylinder attaches to onto the frame?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Chefferies

Hope you don't mind me interrupting.  In your opinions, is there any reason why a weld would break on the end plate of a 22 ton splitter, while splitting wood?  Does this make sense?Here's what it looks like.

thecfarm

Not a good weld job at all,IMO. How long have you had the splitter?

Chefferies

16 months in total.  8 months of that, it was in the repair shop waiting for the same part to be shipped.  This is the second time it broke in the same exact spot on 2 different I beam sections.

thecfarm

You mentioned about returning it? I would,if they would let me. Sorry to hear of problems with it. Good luck.

beenthere

Just not enough design to counter the tons of force being applied.
As said, may be a bad weld, or just that a weld by itself will not hold. Need more beef backing up that weld to handle the forces.
Show a pic backed away from the problem spot, and someone might be able to offer some suggestions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Well from a casual observation the weld cracked on the root and just split out .That area should have had about a 3/4" multiple pass of good weld like 7018 .

When they made that thing it was probabley single passed with a wire welder .

About the best repair would be to grind out the old weld and stringer it in with hot burning rod like 6010 or 6011.Grind it fairly smooth then cover pass it with either 7018 or 7014 depending on weather you have a buzz box or a DC machine .They do make AC/DC 7018 which would be better .

Lay the rod to it ,it won't break out unless it's made from  darned cheap steel like remelt from some Pacific rim country made from bumpers of a 59 Chevy and old files ,rusty nails .

Thank You Sponsors!