iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One man's junk, another's treasure..

Started by chain, September 11, 2011, 02:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Here are some local prices:

Appliances and tin[shearable]= $13.00 @100wt.

Long steel [shearable]..........=$13.00 @100wt.

Short iron............................=$14.50 @100wt.

Car bodies[good & dead]....=$12.00   @100wt.

Copper....bare-brite...........   $3.25 lb.
             #1 copper...........    $3.15 lb.
             #2 copper............    $3.05 lb.
Aluminum cans...................   $0.73 lb.
Lead [batteries].................    $0.23 lb

Stainless.............................   $0.50lb.

Brass [auto radiators]............$1.60 lb.
Red brass...............................$2.00 lb.
Yellow brass............................$1.80 lb.

Catalytic converters [bead type]..$2.00 lb.
                   Honeycomb type......$2.75 lb.

Dad told me years ago, "son, that junkpile out there someday will have value, don't give it away because that's your inheritance!"

Magicman

I see loads of junk iron and scrap cars almost daily.  It's a mystery where all of that stuff comes from.  Somebody had a large back yard.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fuzzybear

no offense MM but isn't it a requirement for owning a home in MS that you have at least one junk car up on blocks in your yard and a pile of old washing machines in another part. ;D  I always thought that every time I drove through Mississippi. Seems like everyone had at least one.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Texas Ranger

I think you were lost, that was Alabama.  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

As many as has been sold during the last few years, I thought they would all be gone by now.   Maybe they drop seeds and sprout.    :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Woodhauler

In 2008 i hauled logs in to the railyard ansd loaded them on cars in ,what they called the clean out yard . In the area between the tracks they cleaned off all the lumber cars over the past 30-50 years. There was2 ditches about 1/2 mile long full of old metal banding and some other mixed metal. I asked the yard boss on day what they was going to do with it and he said he gve it away to a guy the previos year but he never came and got it! He said the Department of eviromental protction was going to fine them if it wasn't cleaned up so he gave it to me! I had a 210 prentice loader on tracks and we bailed it up out of the ditch in between hauling logs! So to make a long story shorter it was my best spring in years! 29,000.00$$$$ worth of scrap with about 4000.00$$$ in cost to get it out! Had to pay loader rent and fuel and hired man!!! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

chain

Quote from: Woodhauler on September 11, 2011, 08:51:47 PM
In 2008 i hauled logs in to the railyard ansd loaded them on cars in ,what they called the clean out yard . In the area between the tracks they cleaned off all the lumber cars over the past 30-50 years. There was2 ditches about 1/2 mile long full of old metal banding and some other mixed metal. I asked the yard boss on day what they was going to do with it and he said he gve it away to a guy the previos year but he never came and got it! He said the Department of eviromental protction was going to fine them if it wasn't cleaned up so he gave it to me! I had a 210 prentice loader on tracks and we bailed it up out of the ditch in between hauling logs! So to make a long story shorter it was my best spring in years! 29,000.00$$$$ worth of scrap with about 4000.00$$$ in cost to get it out! Had to pay loader rent and fuel and hired man!!! ;D

That's quite a treasure! Holiday week-ends are really big for the aluminum cans picker-upper guys and gals around here. I've known a old fellow thats picked up thousands of cans, he's had to downsize somewhat as he had two girlfriends that alternately would let him out on the hi-way, he would search the shoulders and intersections for the cans. The other girlfriend would pick him up down about two miles and start for another favorite can area. He would take both them out to McDonalds for their treats. Well, the girls both passed away, now he has a bicycle with two baskets,"I make $$ enough to make biscuits," he says.

Al_Smith

Hard to  believe stainless is 50 cents a pound .New stuff certainly does not reflect the salvage price .They must remelt it and turn it into cheap Chinese cook ware they sell at Wallmart or something .

clww

I remember picking up cans all summer when I was in 6th grade. Sold those big trash bags full for 12 cents a pound.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Magicman

I have seen two loads of scrap this morning.  I wish that I could have stopped one of them.  I saw some good stuff.   ;D

Al_Smith

I have no idea why but the price of scrap is high .It used to be the scrap dealers wouldn't give you one red cent for an old appliance or a water heater now they buy them at sheet metal prices .

It would come as no surprise if in fact the stuff gets shipped to the Pacific rim for remelt only to come back  in the form of some lower priced goods of some sort .It's a lot easier to ship scrap steel as it would be for taconite .

They used to ship an over loaded junk  freighter into India and cut up ship and all then send the whole mess to China .On can't help but wonder how many are on the bottom of the Pacific that didn't make it . Geeze Davey Jones' locker is turning into a salvage yard . :o

maple flats

I have a man I hire to haul all sorts of junk, both trash and scrap metal. One time I needed a couple of pieces of aluminum plate 8" x 5" x 3/8" or 1/2" thick. I thought of him and phoned. He said to come over and he would fix me up. As I drove in his driveway both sides were lined with scrap of all sorts, piled on average about 15-20' deep and maybe 4' high. His driveway is at least 300' long. As I got to near his home, I met him and explained what dimensions I needed. He took me to his aluminum piles. The aluminum was lining a walkway about 6' wide (the path). On both sides aluminum scrap was piled at least 10' high and I could not see how deep it went on either side. Everything was broken down to take up less space but was not compacted. The aisle was at least 75-80' long and across the end the pile continued around unbroken. All I thought was that his widow will sure have some cash after she calls a scrap metal buyer and sells it. I did get the plates I needed and asked how much, He said take them, he already got paid to haul it away. Years ago I did some siding jobs and on one we had to remove aluminum siding and install new vinyl siding. After the job was finished we hauled the scrap to a scrap yard and sold 1 pick up load piled bound for over $350. The inventory that man had would have filled at least 10- 40 yd roll backs if not compacted, maybe more.
He also had a similar pile but slightly smaller of SS. Then he had likely hundreds of tons of steel and iron.
Now, mind you, this is not a scrap yard, just a guy's house who hauls trash away for people. I don't know for sure but I believe he does sell regularly but he only hauls it in his stake racked 1 ton truck that looks like it ought to be left with the next load of scrap.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Coon

I hear the guy right by town here is buying old cars and scrap for 100 buck a ton.  Looks like he is staying pretty busy hauling it in and breaking it down to be shipped.  He must be making a decent living doing it or he wouldn't be in the business. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Ianab

Used to be you had to pay to dump an old car... So people would lake them out into the country, strip the ID off, and abandon them.

Now a couple of local companies are advertising for old cars, they will come and collect them, and even pay you $100 for privilege of hauling it away.

So yeah, there must be some money to be made there.

At least you dont see old cars being dumped on the side of the road any more... to valuable  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SPIKER

last week we had about 6 GBags of cans mostly not crushed with about 5 lbs of #1 copper and a 120 lbs of steel not even a half truck full got almost a hundred bucks for it!   not bad for simple left over car parts and such...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Tom_Averwater

I read that the Chinese were filling up empty warehouses with copper  .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Al_Smith

I think the last copper I sold was a buck a pound ---cash .It was number 2 with the insulation on it though .

We have a lady who is so poor she can't hardly pay attention that we give the cans to .I do as much as I possibley am able so she she has plenty of them .

Taylortractornut

WHats killing me is all the good plow tools that  folks wont sell  but will almost give to a scrapper.     Iwas at the scrap yard the other day taking a load of recycle in and  a man drove in a  nice   rough terrain lift and    had them shear it.       Saw a complete mill one of dads kin had.   Money wouldnt touch it.  He sold it for 3 cents a ound to a sub dealer.  about 20 54 inch blades new in box  gone.  Carriages and all. 
My overload permit starts after sunset

Don K

Must be North Alabama with the scrap in the yard. There ain't any around my house. I heard those things blew in from Texas with the dust. :D :D Those Chinese are buying it all up and selling it right back to us and slowly consuming our country.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Al_Smith

Sad but true .The US steel biz went down the drain decades ago .

Mill towns like those all along the Ohio river are all shut down .The big mills in Canton and Massilon Ohio are nothing but faded memerys ,Pittsburgh ,Cleveland ,Gary Indiana,--same same .

They would like to have blamed it on labor costs but in reality they were still making steel in the 1980's about the same as they did in the 1890's .They failed to modernize .

Now the real hoot was when The Japanese had the bright idea to build steel mills in Korea then the Korians took them over and under priced the Japanese .Poetic justice I suppose . :D

submarinesailor

Quote from: Al_Smith on September 15, 2011, 06:00:26 AM
Mill towns like those all along the Ohio river are all shut down .The big mills in Canton and Massilon Ohio are nothing but faded memerys ,Pittsburgh ,Cleveland ,Gary Indiana,--same same .

They would like to have blamed it on labor costs but in reality they were still making steel in the 1980's about the same as they did in the 1890's .They failed to modernize .

Al,

My first job after I retired from the Navy was working for a company a specialized in advanced maintenance for the steel plants.  We were out of Richfield Ohio and I think that I have been in most of the steel plants between Geary and Pittsburgh. 

I must agree with you statement about labor, but it wasn't just the cost.  The way that labor allowed their people to be non-productive was something to see.  And management was something else.  One time we get called in to work a problem that they couldn't find themselves and of course we found it right away.  But, instead of listening to us the graveyard shift foreman canceled our work order and threw us out of the plant.  A little later, a major part of the plant blew up and cost them 6 months of down time and 2.8 million in damages (1990 dollars).

In my opinion, both labor and management shot the US steel industry in the foot.  Accually, all the way up to their a$$.

Bruce

Kansas

Quote from: clww on September 12, 2011, 11:09:29 AM
I remember picking up cans all summer when I was in 6th grade. Sold those big trash bags full for 12 cents a pound.

When I was around the 6th and 7th grade, I collected aluminum cans. At that time Coors was pretty well the only ones that had aluminum. They bought back their bottles as well. Coors was the preferred beer of the high school kids at that time. They took "mains". Drive from one end of the town to the other, then back again. All night long. On Sunday mornings, I would follow the route on my bicycle. A good haul was 100 cans. Most times it was around 70. And if they had a party down at the local sale barn, that could yield 200 or better. Don't remember what I sold them for, but thought I was making a fortune at the time.

Al_Smith

They made a big deal about the mill workers making 75 bucks an hour .Truth be known those were extremes  and based solely on incentive pay based on tonnage and very rare instances .Not that the mill workers didn't get payed well, just not that well .

EPA rulings had a lot to do with the demise of the industry ,other factors as well .Pacific rim countries "dumping" cheap steel  didn't help the problem either .I found it interesting that the big pipe for the Alaskan pipeline came from Japan .How nice .

Although it's never been made public I feel that just like the oil industry  steel is controlled world wide by a just a hand full of people .Nobody will admit it though .

Thank You Sponsors!