iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone used the Lucas sharpener for chain ?

Started by chainsaw_louie, September 11, 2011, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi ,

Has anyone used the jig and grinding wheel included with the Lucas blade sharpener to sharpen chainsaw chain.   Is it worth the effort or is it a pain to set up and just easier to stick with hand filing ?  The jig and grinder are not made by lucas, its made by PrecisionTooling out of Italy,  'Sharpboy' is the name of the setup and its designed to clamp onto a saw bar very similar to the Oregon sharpening jig.  The instructions, although in about 15 different languages are very basic.

Thanks.

Tim

WH_Conley

I have a "Sharpboy", works pretty good. Just like any grinder, don't get greedy.
Bill

sigidi

Louie, I have the grinder attachment for my 12v grinder which came with the mill to sharpen the saw blades so it can sharpen chain, but never used it. I figured it would take too long to swap over the two then find my angle again on the grinder when I went back to my sawblade. Having said all this I've gotten ok with sharpening chain by hand with a file and don't always have a spare battery hanging around where the chainsaw is, but the file can go with me all the time. If you do use it let us know how it goes, also don't bother trying to do the slabbing chain with it, it can't make the 10deg (apparently)
Always willing to help - Allan

weisyboy

the mini grinder works just like a bench style grinder that clamps to the bar.

a file will get a chain much sharper just as quick with a file.

i only use a bench grinder to reset the angles, and even tehn i go over them with a file afterwords.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

fishpharmer

Well hey Carl,
I was wondering about these sharpeners. Bow I know.
I was starting to think a Croc got you, good to see you. 8) 8)
Fish
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!