iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for help and education

Started by ccharnle, January 17, 2004, 02:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccharnle

I am in the process of building a new house on 8 acres of hardwood forest (plus ONE pine tree :-) in Superior Township, Washtenaw County, Michigan. It is part of a new subdivision of roughly 16 lots of 7-18 acres of hardwoods and wetlands. I am looking for help in understanding the forest and what I need to do to keep it healthy and growing. I would like to get someone to help me put together a long term plan for this and, maybe even better yet, as we have a developer who has put tree removal restrictions into the deed, get a plan for the entire sub under the "homeowners association" (and I use that term VERY loosely in this context).

Bottom line, I am not sure what I am asking for other than HELP! :-)

BTW, I did get the guys that cleared the area for the house to save me all the logs 8"+ in diameter in 11' lengths. Thought I would get 30-40. Ended up with 96 red oak, maple, and hickory (I think) from 8" to 23" plus, what looks like (and I am NO expert especially without leaves) what used to be one, 30'+ black walnut about 24" base diameter in three pieces. And before someone askes, while I didn't get it done as soon as I should, I did anchor seal all ends prior to much splitting and filled the splits that did show up with anchor seal as well.
Now all I have to do is figure out how to mill and dry it all! :-)

UNCLEBUCK

hey ccharnle , there is a few people here on the forum that can saw your logs right on your site with no problem and I believe are in your area somewhere, maybe post a small ad in the wanted section too or maybe even the sawmill section, but you should have a good answer in a few days , good luck with your new property !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Tom

You will probably find help here in your thread but don't be ashamed to ask your county forester for help.  Use all the tax dollars you can, they were yours. :)  

It may be worth the while of the "owners association" to hire a consulting forester who will prepare a plan for you to follow and could be hired to work the plan for you perhaps in the vacancy of envolvement of the other owners.  

It would be nice to have someone who is familiar with the site when it comes time to sell or harvest or thin or whatever needs to be done down the road.  I can see that being an advantage rather than depending on one or all of the owners to make a decision.  

Owners tend to get side-tracked and use different criteria when it comes time to harvest than the criteria with which they began the project.  Having multiple owners with their fingers in the pie, without some educated individual guiding  the show, could be pandamonium. :D

A local custom sawyer could probably tell you what your logs are too. :D  

Welcome to the Forum. :)

shopteacher

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you got yourself a really nice homestead. Good luck with sawing the logs and hope you get some really great boards.  Don't be afraid to ask around here for answers as there are plenty of good and knowledgeable folk just waiting to help on this forum.  
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Ron Scott

Some contacts in your area for professional forestry advice and land management planning are:

Washtenaw Conservation District Forester
7203 Jackson Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
(734) 761-6721

McClain B. Smith, Jr., Phd
Consulting Forester
1558 Barrington
Ann Arbor, Mi 48103
(734) 665-8279

Carl Burhop
Consulting Forester
PO Box 362
Dexter, Mi 48130
(734) 426-6967

Andy Henriksen
Consulting Forester
PO Box 971426
Ypsilanti, Mi 48197
(734) 480-2977

Jay Snider
Consulting Forester
1718 Chandler Road
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
(734) 663-9741

There seems to be such professional help in your area. One of these should be able to help you with your subdivision land & resource management planning. I do get down to Ypsilanti some myself, but it is a long way for me for any length of time. Feel free to tell them of your Forestry Forum referral.
~Ron

shopteacher

See, I told you you'd get all kind of help.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Thank You Sponsors!