iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Level Sensor Replacement

Started by stumper, September 10, 2011, 04:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

I have an early model Eclassic 2300.  End of last winter I had a water level sensor go bad.  Spoke to my dealer and found out how to by-pass the sensor while a new one was ordered.  Ran that way through the spring till the end of the heating season. 

Well since they have posted a frost advisory for the northern section of the state I guess I could not postponed installing the new float any longer. 

Here are the instructions for replacement (none come with the part).

To do this you need two people, a ladder, a shop vacum, a rag, and a 1 inch open end wrench.  Pull the wires from the old sensor free so you can turn out the sensor.   I first loosened the sensor.  Then I sent the wife  up the ladder with the shop vac hose.  She removed the water chamber cover from the top of the boiler, placed the rag around the vac hose and place inthe water chamber vent hole.  I then turned on the vac.  spun out the old sensor and installed the new sensor.  Then turned off the vac and the wife re-installed the water chamber cover.  Sensor replaced with out the loss of more then a few drops of water. 

I then rewired the boiler back to original configuration.

While my boiler is an Eclassic 2300.  I suspect you could use this procedure for most water level sensor replacements.

SPIKER

Stumper we use this same technique when working on the hydraulic tanks on heavy equipment.   Pull vacuum on the tank to change return filters that set low.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

ecrane99

Stumper,

I also replaced that sensor recently.  Upon removal or the bad unit, I noticed that the float portion was completly missing and probably floating around in the water jacket.   I think the pastic eroded away until the float came loose.  I'm not too concerned about that but wanted to know if your float was also missing.
Ed

stumper

Sure was.  I assume since it did not jam the pump it is still floating.  Not sure how I would get it out.  If I had know prior I would have checked to see if the end was attracted to a magnet, but it is too late now.

delbianco

Gents,
My eclassic 2300 also has error code ooo which my dealer says may be a faulty low water level sensor.  He explained how to replace the two white wires with a paper clip.
However, I am 200 miles away from home and my wife cannot locate the wires.  Are the wires behind the digital temperature indicator, or in the back of the unit?
Thank you for any advice and my wife thanks you more!
David in Penna.

stumper

They are behind the control panel.  But I would never recomend replacement with a paper clip  The wires have a plastic coating for a reason!!!  Open the the pannel remove the insulation so things are visible, locate the waterlevel sensor, cut the wires to the sensor, strip the ends twist them together, wire nut the connection and the place electric tape over the wire nut to seal and lock things.  She can skip the wire nut if she does not have one and that will last till you get home.  The water level sensor is bad anyway so she can cut the wires any where as long as she has room to work things, so I would cut them as close to the sensor as reasonable, so she has plenty to work with and if she makes a mistake in stripping or what ever she can just trim that wire a little shorter.

thecfarm

Seems like everything breaks when I am gone too. But my wife would have no idea at all. Hope it all worked out for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

stumper

Where is the boiler located?  There may be a memebr close by that would donate 15 minutes work.

Thank You Sponsors!