iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you go to Canada and buy a pre emission OWB????

Started by shinnlinger, September 09, 2011, 10:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SwampDonkey

I don't know, but I've been going on 3 weeks now trying to get stove pipe. Which is retarded, since I'm in a region that burns a lot of stove wood. Even the stove stores don't stock pipe, they are just a show room for stoves.  You make you order everything. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

shinnlinger

Maybe we can work a deal out then.  Ill bring up a load of pipe and swap you for a OWB :)

I guess a simpler question is Does Canada have the same emissions requirements as the US????

Shinnlinger

thecfarm

MAYBE they sell differant OWB,but I doubt they would sell you one to bring across the border. And if you did get it over here and someone complained about it,than you could not use it anymore.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

If your question is ,"can I buy a non-gasifier, non-EPA approved stove in Canada?". I am not sure, but, yes, there are Canadian manufacturers that still make the older type stoves.  I do know that individual townships in Ontario are regulating the use of OWB's, and denying their installations in certain situations.

You don't have to go to Canada to purchase a "pre-EPA" type OWB.  Many states away from New England still allow their sale and use.  So why would you go the Canada to get one where it's gonna get a lot of attention at the border and cost some $ to bring back here.  It's no a 3 liter toilet!

I take it that New Hampshire only allows the sale of EPA approved OWB's and you'd like to skirt that issue!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

I agree for large items like that, your better off buying it home. Just look around some. ;) That being said, I don't think there is much regulation here in NB unless your in urban areas. The neighbors have about the smokiest stoves around. They don't even have any wood in yet. So it will be green as usual, about 30 cords and they buy it all. Their nuts. A wood furnace would only burn 8. Nobody else could do what they do and live off of it, I can guarantee it. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

C'mon SD, I'm sure they've got plenty of wood.  It's green and standing vertically right outside their door. ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

Their woods were all clearcut, so unless they want to cut arm sized firewood, and mostly aspen, ummmm....it will be a mighty cold winter. :D

Wish I had my stovepipe, I could use a little smudge in the morning. She's cool weather right now. ;D This after being almost 80 yesterday.

shinnlinger

more of a curiosity.  JUst looking into OWBs.

I was enamored with the idea of an OWB, but it seems the new ones are pretty finicky based in my limited research.  I'm only 2 hours from Canada but many hours from a state that sells them to my knowledge.

IF and that is a big IF I could get one across the border, It wouldn't draw any attention where I am.
Shinnlinger

stumper

I would suggest going to another state that allows the sale of the older style burner and bringing it back home from there.  I suspect the border from between New Hampster and Taxachussets is not as restrictive as the US/Canadian boarder.  I am not sure which states still allow the old style but CB still lists them on there site so there must be some available in some states.   I see a new  CL5036 for sale on ebay in Wisconsin.

doctorb

NESCAUM is the organization of New England states (Maine, NH, Vermont, Mass, Conn, RI) plus New Jersey and New York that suggested regulations regarding OWB's.  The "clean air czars  ;)" of these states sit on the board of this organization.  Many of these states have adopted nearly identical regs only permitting EPA type II approved OWB's.  Pennsylvania is not listed in the group and may be the closest state to allow the old style non-gasifier OWB's.  They may have also adopted similar regs.  I dont know.  I'd check there before I'd try Canada.

By the way, I think that most of the bugs are out of newer gasifier OWB's.  As long as you realize that they are more work than your Vermont Casting indoor wood stove, and learn their personalities, I would not hesitate to buy a new model gasifier.  They have gotten much better.

Kansas

When I was shopping around trying to decide between a OWB and a gasification unit, they actually had the gas units cheaper. Said the wood burners would be phased out next year. True or not, I don't know. They acted like it was some sort of rule coming. Didn't really matter as in the end I think I would have decided on a gasification unit anyway.

martyinmi

You can still easily get a non EPA phase 2 OWB from Canada. Portage and Main,Cozy Burn(Pro-Fab), and Wood Doctor just to name a few.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Thank You Sponsors!