iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to Forum

Started by T Welsh, September 09, 2011, 07:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

Just like to say hi, and thanks at the same time, I have been in the tree service/land clearing line of work for the past 30 years. about 5 years ago I got tired of selling the logs to the mills for pennies on the dollar and started looking into portable mills. well it led me here and I started reading all the threads I could about mills. I would like to say thank you, I purchased a used LT-40-hdy 1992 model. local guy had it and heard about me wanting one and the short of it is I said bring it over and let me test run it and I will pay you to saw 10 walnuts I kept for myself(woodworking is one of my hobbies), for your effort. it never left my yard. he in turn asked me to help him out on one of his last jobs, he needed a loader because of 50 logs to be sawn, He had me there for a week. (he was getting old and losing his health). Made me feel good to help him out. at the end of the job he asked me how much he owed me and I told him to put his hard earned money back in his pocket and to take a chunk of money off what I stilled owed him for the Woodmizer. He drew up the final bill of sale minus the half down and settle up at the end of his job. WELL, he took half off what I owed him. shocked the heck out of me. told him that my fee,s did not even come close to this amount. He looked at me and said in my book it does and a deal is a deal. 5 years latter and a bunch of logs under my belt, I felt it about time to sign in and give you guys and gals a thank you in person.You all remind of the gentelmen that I  bought the mill from. Thanks   Tim

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Tim!

Good to hear you've been absorbing some of the information in these threads.

There is really a lot of good info here.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

T Welsh sounds like you will fit right in here. Welcome. It's nice to help others out and have it returned to you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, T Welsh! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Buck

Well T Welsh, welcome, tell us a little more. Where are ya located? We like pics..in case you haven't read that. Do you like food?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

zopi

that is an awesome story...

And I was feeling good for getting a fifty dollar tip for doing a great cleanup after a tree takedown this morning...lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

kelLOGg

Welcome. Nice transaction story. How is the guy you bought from doing now?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sigidi

Welcome Tim

Good for you mate, good for you ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

fishpharmer

Glad to have you sign in T. Welsh! 8)   Its a great place.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

You were done a good deed by that old fellow, no good deed goes undone.  Welcome to the Forum!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

T Welsh

Thanks Guys, Buck, pictures will come later, have tons, machines, log piles, dogs chewing my stickers,walnut crotches and just pretty pic,s of logs sawn. as for the gentelmen that sold me the mill, he is doing fine, I told him any time he wants to come play with his mill he can, he smiled and went to the back of his truck and handed me a box of blades he found in his garage. It just doesnt get a better than that!!! I have had this forum at the top of my favorite bookmark list since searching for info on mills. love the advise good and bad,pictures of job sites and machines. I am located about 30 miles west of philly in PA. mostly saw hardwoods for cabinet makers, woodworkers, and farmers. sawing a walnut mantel for a guy this morning, dug though the log pile for the guy and of course the walnuts where in the back bottom of the pile, found a 10 footer called him said yes I have one, and told him to come out and tell me how he wanted it cut, he wants a live edge up front with character!! he jumped at it and said tomorrow OK. have to tune up the mill a little first, lost the hyd. command on the clamp in and out and up and down. all other functions work. I know what it is. ( micro switch adjust and finger adjustment) I love the Mizer, so simple and straight forward. well finished my coffee and its time to get to work. will take camera with me today, and snap pictures for you guys. it will take me a few fumbles to get them on the puter, but if I have problems all I have to do is tease you guys,saying help me with my walunt pic,s   Tim

Buck

Man thats great! Glad you're here with us.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

sandhills

Great to have you here!  The fellow that sold you that mill sounds right along the same lines as my old landlords, I sure hope someday people will talk about me like that  :).

bandmiller2

Welcome Tim,Its nice when someone puts people ahead of money,getting rare in todays world. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

T Welsh

OK guys, need help uploading pic,s have a picture of the mantel I cut this morning and went to upload and it gives an error message that the file is to big. uploaded java what ever and still need to resize the pic. now what. and please make it easy for me. I promise the picture is worth the effort, it turned out as nice as I expected it to. It knocked the socks off the customers feet . Tim

T Welsh

I figured out how to get the photo into my gallery. thanks to Jeff,s magical touch. did a search on how to upload pic,s and found the video. but now have to get it to the reply page  Tim

T Welsh

Found it!!!!

hope this works!!!

WDH

There is a lot going on inside that walnut!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Well done on pics.  Beautiful walnut!!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Roxie

Welcome indeed!!   8)

You're only about 15 or 20 miles north east of me!  I'm down near Oxford. 

Now, just one more request, Jeff has a project that needs finishing found on this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,18953.0.html

If you can send a block, that would make three blocks from our county represented on the "Ceiling of Fame."   :)

Say when

T Welsh

Hi Roxie, nice to hear from people close to home! hope you made it through hurricane Irene all right. we have been doing storm damage clean up and had a few jobs down in that area! took us a solid week just to get trees off house,s and barns period. no clean up, just get them off and leave to go get the next one,s. love the mule!!! As for your request, I am not sure if there is any room left on Jeff,s (movable structure) maybe Jeff will read this and let me know. could dig up a block in the wood shop in a heart beat.
Thank,s       Tim

Norm

There's still openings on Jeff's ceiling.  :)

T Welsh

Quote from: Norm on September 11, 2011, 01:27:47 PM
There's still openings on Jeff's ceiling.  :)
WOW, now thats service, Thanks Norm. Tim

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, T Welsh.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!