iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band or swingmill

Started by Bo-ona, September 09, 2011, 07:39:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bo-ona

I am new to the Foresty Forum and I have a question that has been addressed here before, but I want to address my specific circumstances.
I have been milling wood with a chainsaw mill, a logosol Timberjig.  Nice set-up for what it is, but I want to take milling to another level.  I am on the fence about a band or swingmill, I cut and split about 50 cords of firewood, and my log supplier is giving me way too nice of logs for firewood, 30+ inch white and red oaks, soft maple, etc.  I want to mill and make molding out of the wood I get.  I am also a cabinet maker as my hobby and know other cabinet shops that will buy my products.  I am starting off slow, but this could be bigger quickly.  Since I live so close to New York City, I would like the option of urban sawmilling. 
As far as sawmills go, I  like Baker and Peterson.  Any advice??

Buck

I have two Woodmizer LT-40 hyd mills. Since purchase of the second one I have often thought about selling/swapping around one of them for a swing mill. I wouldn't back away from anything then. You should consider a kiln also since you revealed your desire for end product.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

paul case

my advise is see them run. get the basic idea of how they work and set up and the extra equipment necessary for each. find out the capabilities of the mills you like and see which one fits for what you are wanting to do. dont rule out other brands. i had made up my mind to buy one from a certian company and i changed my mind because i found a bigger mill with a cheaper price tag. i am glad i did too.

welcome to the forestry forum. tell us more about yourself.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

I would suggeat going to a show or other FF members and seeing each kind working and get hands on with each one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bo-ona

I have been looking into a mill for 2 years, but got serious 3 months ago.  I know the specs of other manufactures of band and swingblade mills, I just like Baker for bandsaws because I went to a Forestry show in NY a few weeks ago, and I was impressed with the sturdiness of the Baker I saw, a 3665.  The saw was a lot more expensive than i want/need, but the Baker 3638G is more reachable.  The swingblades are expensive for what you get, $20,000+ for a new Peterson, that weighs about 1000 pounds, the Baker weighs 7400 pounds.  I am a motorhead from way back, so I appreciate well engineered equipment, and it seems that there is  not much to a swinger compared to a hydralic bandsaw mill.  I have seen and operated some bandsaw mills, Norwood and Woodmeizer, it seem that you get a lot more mill for the money with Baker. 
I expect to get a kiln as well as a planer/molder, the current planer I have isn't up to the heavy use I will be subjecting with large slabs etc. I love wood and  have for many years, when I cut my first slab with my chainsaw, I was hooked on milling. 

Jeff

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Bo-ona. :)

I'm intrigued about the origin of your user name.  As soon as I saw it the Oscar Meyer song started running in my head and now it'll be there all day. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Chuck White

Bo- ona;  Welcome to Forestry Forum!

Another factor to consider when buying a mill would be:

Are you going to be operating mobile or stationary!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mad murdock

Welcome Bo-ona, another one afflicted with the sawdust bug!  Sounds like you already have a good firewood operation.  The Hardwoods you mention are very nice woods, and at the sizes you describe, I would be the same as you, finding it hard to split into cord wood, when they will make such nice lumber.  Good luck on you decision, BTW, a search on the forum here and you will see some members have built their own swing mills.  There are manufacturers who will sell you components so you can configure your own set-up.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

wormy

welcome bo-ona. i just got a woodmizer lt 40 and love it. i have never been around a swingmill but on the for sale thread there is a peterson for sale and also parts off a peterson to meke your own

zopi

Duh. Both.
Lol...I am working on getting a hyd bandmill in...but being in the tree service, I have to pass up alot of good urban timber as it is too big to mill on a bandmill or too big to fetch out....I will probably add a small swinger in a couple of years...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ianab

QuoteThe swingblades are expensive for what you get, $20,000+ for a new Peterson, that weighs about 1000 pounds, the Baker weighs 7400 pounds.

Yeah, but you don't by a sawmill by the lb, you buy it for what it can do.  :D

The Peterson is 1,000lb of alloy and stainless. It's designed to break down and be VERY portable. Like try manhandling the Baker into some ones back yard through a foot gate? Why the weight difference? The Peterson doesn't support or move the log AT ALL. The log sits on the ground, or some sort of home made log bunks if can move it.

Both mills are high production, and would probably do what you need. But in terms of portability the swing blades are ahead. Big logs also make us smile, while they make the bandsaw guys scratch their heads and think "how the heck am I going to deal with this?" The Baker is pretty good, with a log size up to 36", but I've sawn logs up over 48", and that wasn't maxing out the mill.

You do have a limit on board size, usually 8-10", but all the boards come off the mill edged and you can quarter or flat saw with equal ease, even changing cutting pattern on the same log depending on what you find inside.

So don't mistake the light weight of the Swingblade for being a "Toy" sawmill. They are a VERY versatile machine, can be operated alone with minimal support equipment, in a remote location. Or with a couple of helpers and some log moving machinery they can be very high production.

Like the guys suggest, see if you can see the mills running in a real life situation. The way you operate a Swing blade takes a bit of a mind shift from operating a band mill, and there are lots of little tricks that can be done. Although the Swing blade really shines with big logs, they  have no problem with smaller ones as well, just no advantage over a band mill.  But if you have a pile of 12"logs, you can saw them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

terrifictimbersllc

Welcome to the FF.   Not sure where you are, but if you want to come to the Ledyard, CT fair tomorrow, I will be there all day with Peterson 10-30WPF and Woodmizer LT-40 super mills. The scheduled demonstration is 3-6pm but I plan to be running the peterson earlier.   You can pm me if you want or get my contact information from my link on the right hand side of the page at https://forestryforum.com/    Info and directions to the fair are at www.ledyardfair.org
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bo-ona

Thanks for the good advice.  I may be able to go to the Ledyard fair, I would love to see a Peterson in action, I have to get to a few things done around the house first, like split a couple of cords of firewood first.  I know the swingers are much more portable than bandmills, that is why I am considering a Peterson.  I also like the fact that I can fit a swinger in my garage and keep it covered when I am not using it, that is not an option where I live for a bandsaw mill.  Keep the feedback coming, thanks again.
Bo-ona 

sigidi

First of all Welcome mate ;) you're sure to find a heap of help here.

For my 2c (most folks been here awhile will know whats coming) I'd go for a Lucas 8) ;D can do all that's been mentioned above and I've found 'em to be a DanG good company to deal with, nothing too small for them to help ya out with and nothing too big for them to be able to deal with - also initial purchase price is much better than Peterson - well it is down here,not sure over there.
Always willing to help - Allan

sigidi

Bo-ona, how ya goin mate? don't forget to ask heaps of questions, let us know how your goin...
Always willing to help - Allan

Celeriac

Don't fail to consider your third option, a Mobile Dimension.
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Thank You Sponsors!