iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this one?

Started by Jeff, September 08, 2011, 08:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

While thinning out some tag alder from a young aspen stand right behind the cabin, we exposed this tree. I don't know what it is, but my guess is perhaps some sort of willow?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I think I have the same thing. Not many grow up in the woods as I would say.Seems to grow down by the road. They never amount too much and seem to grow just about like what I see you have. I cut some early this year,trying to get a better view of the field drving up the road. I have no idea what they are.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sprucegum

Looks like "Diamond Willow" or red willow to me although the leaves seem a bit wide  ???

WDH

I am not familiar with this species, but I did notice that the upper side and under side of the leaf has two different colors.  Bright green on top, a dull light green on the bottom.  This should be a distinctive characteristic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ahlkey

Looks like to me as Bebb's Willow which can be found throughout the state.  It is one of the many Willow species in Wisconsin but the only one that is simple with alternate leaves that are mostly margined. The upper surface of the leaf have veins that are impressed.  Tree is almost always multiple-stemmed and the bark similar to your picture. I find Willows are very hard to tell apart from each other in general.

Aroostooksawyer

RynSmith

Quote from: ahlkey on September 09, 2011, 10:56:56 AM
I find Willows are very hard to tell apart from each other in general.

In dendrology, our prof didn't even try - we passed with Salix spp.  :)

I agree with a willow of some sort.

SwampDonkey

Looks like pussy willow Salix discolor. They can get quite a big trunk on them, but not real tall, maybe 25 feet. They tend to have a lot of side sprouts off the trunk that grow tight to the main stem instead of reaching out laterally. In a field plantation I have been working on, I found one spot that the brush saw couldn't cut them because they were too big. Seem harder than aspen to.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Discolor, huh?  I knew that the color difference leaf top to leaf bottom had to be distinctive. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Jeff must grow pussy willows big at his place. I've never seen any that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

The primary reason I thought it was Bebb's willow was the visual diamonds which is actually cankers produced by a fungus.  It has a similar discolor and leaf description but unlike pussy willow typically is more often seen as a tree than a shrub.

SwampDonkey

Bebb/beaked willow is pubescent with serrated edges, and rough textured like alder. Pussy willow isn't. Pussy willow does grow to 27 feet and considered a small tree as well. Those leaves don't look toothed or pubescent.

Bebb willow

Pussy Willow
Note the bark picture is a small stem. The bark of willows up here is covered in lichens like the trees.

The ones I found in my thinning are even bigger than Jeff's, growing on pasture. They also get big in aspen/softwood forest that is damp. At times the trunk looks like some of the aspens. I've left hundreds of willow for crop trees on crown land. They are usually doomed to perpetual moose harassment. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ahlkey

You are right but the Bebbs around here are mostly entirely margined, although a few coarse teeth may sometimes be present as the link points out. I agree the upper surface of the leaf is usually clearly rugose.  Your link is helpful.

The following one shows a picture of the ones around here that fairly common.
As I mentioned before I find Willows a tough species to tell apart and Bebb's just don't get that large.  The record I believe is only 23ft high.

http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/trees/salbeb01.htm

WDH

Rugose.  Now that is a good adjective!

SwampDonkey

Yes it is. ;D

Such as Alnus rugosa , speckled alder.  ;)

WDH

I love botanical terms. 

"You have some axillary pubescence on your receptacle, and your locule is tardily dehiscent.  Also, your mother was a hamster, and your Father smelt of elderberries."   :D

beenthere

And then she slapped you...... ::)

But.. why you asked.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nas

Quote from: WDH on September 12, 2011, 09:00:09 PM
I love botanical terms. 

"You have some axillary pubescence on your receptacle, and your locule is tardily dehiscent.  Also, your mother was a hamster, and your Father smelt of elderberries."   :D
Now go!  Or I will taunt you a second time :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

WDH

BT,

I would have slapped myself, too.

Bandmill Bandit

lots a good laughs above! but back to the tree. It looks like diamond willow to me, or at least that what we call em around here. get as much of the bigger trunk part and send it to me. I would love to saw that one up.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

mad murdock

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on September 12, 2011, 10:55:21 PM
lots a good laughs above! but back to the tree. It looks like diamond willow to me, or at least that what we call em around here. get as much of the bigger trunk part and send it to me. I would love to saw that one up.

I would agree, that would be intersting mill fodder!  I have never seen a pussy willow that big, wow.  Now bring us a shrubery!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SwampDonkey

There are just some trees you learn to hate cutting with a brush saw, one of them is willow.  It's more to do with the darn moose making apple trees out of them and when you cut one it rolls like tumble weed and usually on yourself. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!