iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taps

Started by Tom, January 17, 2004, 07:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

......and people wonder why we waste our time sawing wood?

Yesterday I spent the day sawing the cedar tree that General Butterfield and Bugler Oliver Norton sat beneath when they wrote taps, as the story goes. It was removed by Historic Trees after succumbing, along with many other trees, to a wind storm at Berkley Plantation. (Because he compiled the book of bugle calls, Seymore is usually attributed with writing Taps.)

Jeff Myer and his associates will make sure that the tree will be remembered with its wood being used in monuments representing the past and conserved in such a manner that it will not be treated lightly in the future.

Terry and I dug nails, wire and other pieces of metal from it where, apparently, lights or flags or lightning arrestors had been installed in the past.  It produced many 18" boards.  Other than its history it was no different than other cedars I have sawed.   You can't help but stand in awe at what it represents.

Day is done, gone the sun,
From the hills, from the lake,
From the sky.
All is well, safely rest,
God is nigh.

Go to sleep, peaceful sleep,
May the soldier or sailor,
God keep.
On the land or the deep,
Safe in sleep.

Love, good night, Must thou go,
When the day, And the night
Need thee so?
All is well. Speedeth all
To their rest.

Fades the light; And afar
Goeth day, And the stars
Shineth bright,
Fare thee well; Day has gone,
Night is on.

Thanks and praise, For our days,
'Neath the sun, Neath the stars,
'Neath the sky,
As we go, This we know,
God is nigh.

Visit this site: http://www.tapsbugler.com/

Tom

I didn't have my camera with me yesterday so I didn't get pictures of this particular tree.  But, I do take pictures of most of the trees I cut for Historic Trees.  There was the Robert E. Lee tree lately and now the Loblolly Pine that Lincoln watered his horse beneath.  Tulip Polplar from Mount Vernon planted by George Washington and now the Berkley trees.  Along with this cedar are Cherry Bark Red Oaks, and Beech.

Jeff

I bet a couple of little ole limbs from that would make some mighty fine checkers. I wouldnt care if they checked and cracked.  If I got the right pieces I could be playing north versus south all over agin. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

This particular tree is being guarded very closely and everything picked up and stored.....even the sawdust.  I asked "what happened to the limbs?" and was told that the groundskeeper put them on a bonfire. :-/

I guess this is all that is left. :)

CHARLIE

Yep, I can think of all kinds of things that could have been made on a wood lathe from those branches. Things that would have been around for another century or two.  Dumb to have burned them. ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

VA-Sawyer

Tom,
Just where are you sawing these special trees ? Are they bringing the trees to you in Florida, or are you bringing your saw up this way ?  I'd like to watch if you're up this way.

VA-Sawyer

Tom

I wish I were up there sawing.  There were many trees, most of no significant historical note, blown down at Berkley.  Most of the trees are found "somewhere" and shipped via the nursery's tag-along trailer or Hot Shot or Semi to the nursery in Jacksonville where I saw in a restricted area.  They plan to have their own mill soon.

http://www.historictrees.org/aboutus/treeGuy.asp
http://www.americanforests.org/news/display.php?id=92

The nursery produces DNA-true trees for Government monuments and civilian plantings.  Everything from Johnny Appleseeds trees to Moon Trees.  Those trees that succumb to age or natural disasters are harvested and an effort is made to convert them into something that will retain their historical heritage for years in the future.

AtLast

Tom,
What an absolutely amazing honor it must be to become part of that history. I TRUELY am in awe and completely impressed with the things you have been a part of. What a fantastic feeling it must have been for you to touch...understand...respect and refelect on who was there...what they did ....that grounds keeper should be smacked upside his head....I think to have something as simple as a limb off any of these trees would be TOTALLY cool.

Tom

You sound like the little voice that roams around inside of my head. :D

Gus

I think we are all that little voice that roams around in your head ;)
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Duane_Moore

:)Did ya guys notice there's a lot of wide open space in here?? ;D ;D ;D ;D   Duh----Duane
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

Thank You Sponsors!