iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

solvent for pine pitch?

Started by shinnlinger, September 07, 2011, 07:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

I have some rollers in my planer with pretty heavy pitch buildup.  Tried some paint thinner, but didn't do much.  Thinking oven cleaner but could be stinky.  Any other ideas?  Anything I can put on to help this in the future?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

lynches lumber

Dave___ does it have all metal rollers? I use acetone on a wrag and wipe. Dont spray it. I did that once and some got on the drive belt and that was the end of that belt. Acetone is some mean stuff.

shinnlinger

Yes they are all metal and I was thinking of stepping up the solvent, but trying to stay "school friendly"   
Shinnlinger

zopi

Goo gone...or other citrus based cleaners...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

red oaks lumber

laqure thinner or acetone on a rag really works good. hang your rag or shop towel up to air dry. by doing this you avoid having spontaneous combustion.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

metalspinner

shinnlinger,

The stuff I use came from Woodcraft.  I'm sure the active ingrediant in it is dirt cheap through some other source.

Here is a link...

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000984/3402/Blade-and-Bit-Cleaner-8-Ounce-Pump-Spray.aspx

I ended up using half the bottle on my last planer cleanup.  So I am interested in an alternative.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

shinnlinger

THat is spendy....

I tried acetone today and can't say it did much.  Maybe after it soaks in a bit?
Shinnlinger

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

Once cleaned off, then a better plan to keep it from building up will help a lot. ;)
I think turp too, and wouldn't steer away from xylol as a solvent.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

try running some oak after a softwood planer run, sometimes it cleans up the feed rollers
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Satamax

I use white spirit or plain old petrol or gas! I think acetone evaporates too fast for this.

May be toluene could do the trick, this is mean stuff.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

ljmathias

Dodgy, that is one of the most parsimonious responses I've seen on the forum... exactly long enough to make your point and no more.  Problem was, I had to read it three times before I figured it out...   :D

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

shinnlinger

I'm surprised he punctuated that  response.....
Shinnlinger

WDH

Sometimes frugality is necessity.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Phorester

Just Me

Turp makes me sick for some reason, so I am hoping to hear a miracle cleaner. My wife gets it off the car with some stuff she gets at the Dollar General called "Awesome" but I am afraid to use it and find out it causes rust. With the independantly suspended infeed it could get down in between and there is no way to get it out.

I use lacquer thinner or acetone right now, but sure would like to hear a better way.

Blade cleaners cause rust by the way if not cleaned up.

Oven cleaner?

Avoid pine?

Later, Larry

Ironwood

TURPENTINE.

Just like the other two said, it is extract of pine and SHOULD cut it immeadiately.

On that note I used to be able to get it in one gallon steel cans, not anymore, at least not from LOWES, and HOME DEPOT.  Any ideas.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

bill m

I use WD-40 on my pruning saws. Takes the pitch off and keeps them from rusting.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

zopi

Goo gone..
Was asked on another forum what was used to take pine pitch off of chainsaw bars...my reply....the groundie...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Just Me

Quote from: Ironwood on October 25, 2011, 07:49:34 PM
TURPENTINE.

On that note I used to be able to get it in one gallon steel cans, not anymore, at least not from LOWES, and HOME DEPOT.  Any ideas.

Ironwood

They still carry it at real paint stores. Wish it didn't make me sick because it does work well and does not start rust.

Phorester

I think turpentine would be the best.  But I once used Go-Jo, the hand cleaner, to get a heavy buildup of road tar off my pickup.  Took a lot of rubbing, but it took off the tar with no damage or blemish to the paint.

I'd also suggest putting on whatever cleaner you decide to use, then scraping the rollers lengthwise with a putty knife, then following up with wiping off the excess. If you don't want to use a metal putty knife, make a wedge-shaped scraper out of a scrap of hard wood like oak, etc.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: ljmathias on September 10, 2011, 05:55:55 AM
Dodgy, that is one of the most parsimonious responses I've seen on the forum... exactly long enough to make your point and no more. 

Off-topic, but I remember when I took the GRE as a senior in college in 2004 - the word parsimony was on the analogies section three times (3!) in one form or another, and I had no clue what it meant. I looked it up as soon as I got out of the testing room and it has stuck with me ever since :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Ironwood

Well, called Sherwin Williams this afternoon and found it that due to EPA regulations on VOC's, turpentine will/is no longer be available in gallon and likely not at all soon. The law was called OTC or some such thing, so like all good things Dursban, lead tooth paste tubes, DDT, lead paint, NON Etyhanol gasoline, 5 gallon flushing toilets (got two new ones before that one went into effect ;)) Sulfer enriched diesel, Turpentine will soon also be a thing of the past.  >:(

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Reddog

Thank You Sponsors!