iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

On a swing blade, should someone go for a 10" ?

Started by crtreedude, January 17, 2004, 07:10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crtreedude

Hi All,

Well, based on the recommendations of almost everyone ( the recommendation I really liked was buy one of every kind, but the financial powers that be would not go for it ) I have pretty much decided on a Swing blade for our plantation in the tropics.

Now, I think I am overloading on options.  Should I bother with a 10" or should I stick with an 8"?  Also, recommendation on horsepower would be appreciated.  

The average size of the trees will be between 12 to 30", with some at the lower end.  Almost all of the wood will be hardwoods.

So, what do you think, oh gurus of wood?

Fred

P.S. If you want to know more about the operation, there is a thread that I started that talks about it.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Ron Wenrich

Go for the biggest machine you can afford.  You can't cut any wider than the saw allows.  Bigger is usually better.  Production should be a tad bit higher, and that brings down production costs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

Fla._Deadheader

Treedude, Any chance you might be in CR around the end of March???  I'm planning on taking my son down and see if we can catch the super low tide on the Pacific side. Lots of Gold down there ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

crtreedude

Unfortunately, no, it looks like I will be there at the end of February.  I wish we could sync up!  But, you never know, we might get delayed that long before we can go down, but I sure hope not.

Hopefully around July we will be there permanently.  8)

Fla._Deadheader

Keep me informed. Sounds like ya got the Petersen in mind. Never saw one, but, had several discussions with Kiwi Jake about 'em. Have ya checked with him ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

Oh Yeah, Jake and I are becoming good buddies.  ;)

He has been very helpful and the CD was really good.  You know, it has made my wife happy, you see, I HATE to watch movies, so, when I get these videos and CDs, we cuddle up together and watch them with a bag of popcorn.  You can't get more romantic than that can you?

Fred

Percy

Heya Fred
A freind of mine here in Terrace has a Lucas 8 incher with a 25 horse Kohler. He is seriously thinkin of upgrading to a 10 inch if possible.  Railroad ties(7X9) become feasable along with  10 inch wide boards. I think the cost is minimal for the 10 inch when ordering new(Peterson or Lucas) so Id go for it. ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ianab

Regarding blade size, I guess that depends on what size timber you want to end up with. But for engine size, get the bigger option, especially with the hardwoods. My saw is 8" and cuts everything I need it to, but is only chainsaw powered and could sure use some more horses on the big cuts.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

CR,

For the record, my WPF is an 8" 24hp "Small Frame".  Although it does meet my needs, I can think of a couple reasons for a 10" with a larger frame.

In Costa Rica, how BIG can you expect the occasional log?  That might be reason number 1 for a large frame, to have the basic ability to cut the big ones without chainsaw carving them first.  (All 10" mills are large frame, but certainly a large frame 8 can be purchased) The second reason is the large frame mills allow you to put more logs in the mill at once.  As an example, with my Small Frame WPF, I can lay two logs 18" in diameter together for cutting.  A large frame can do 3 logs of the same 18" diameter at once.

I have cut with a 10" mill a few times, and there is suprisingingly little difference in feel between it and my 8" mill.  I will say, however, that my 8" will make a full depth cut FASTER than a 10" with the same hp engine, and it is proven that 8" mills with bigger engines can cut more BF/hr than a 10" mill.  The percentage is not that great.

Certainly number 3 is the obvious, 10" single pass cutting capability.  If 10" is not that important, I would consider a large frame 8" mill. To keep costs down, since It sounds like you have a lot of help, a 24 or 27HP 8" ATS would be sweet and the most economical way to go.

Hey, I'll raise my hand to go to Costa Rica and show ya the ropes too!!  ;)  Sounds like a nice corner of the planet to visit.

Captain

crtreedude

Thanks for all the great information - there seems to be a remarkable amount of agreement - go bigger if you can afford it.  I could have guessed!

Well, so many people are volunteering to help show me how to saw that we might just have to have a pig roast and invite everyone.  8)  Maybe we will start planning for next year about this time.

By the way, there could be the occasional log that is over six foot in diameter - I have seen them so big that a horse sideways only covers about 1/3 of the trunk - I have pictures!

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

Like everywhere else it happened, I would like to see pics from Timber that was standing before the great tree slaughters took place.

There is a LARGE sawmill in Chacarita, (southern area), And I had to be dragged away from the gorgeous wood they had.

I have noticed here in the States, and in Costa Rica, When a logging crew leaves the area, there might be 1 LARGE tree left standing. ??? ???  What could possibly be the reason???

In CR, it might be 150+ feet tall and have a 48"+ dia. ???

Pig roast sounds good.  Need LOTS of Ceviche, though ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

There are three main reasons for one large tree left:

1. Shade for Cattle
2. Seed tree
3. Lumber for a future home or building.

Got it on the Ceviche - I'll start the Tilapia pond!

redpowerd

i heard, in the OLD days, they used leverage from one tree to root out a stump close by. when the woods were clear, they left one, cause they had no other tree to root from. we have many old oaks, some have even started new forests.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Fla._Deadheader

I guess all those are valid reasons, however, in the States, the ground is re-planted with SYP, and in CR, the ground is usually Pasture ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

crtreedude

It is too bad that many people will never get to see some of the really big trees.  I am not much of a tree-hugger, but I sure dislike seeing the land totally denuded.  Landslides are no fun.

About 23% of Costa Rica is still Rainforest, and holding.  Most of the rest is pasture or plantations of coffee, sugar cane, bananas, etc.  

Fred

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

RevCant

Hi CrTreedude,
I've got a large frame wpf 8" mill with a honda 24.  Good mill and adequate for what I do.  One word of caution about going larger, both blade size and frame size.  On the blade issue, unless you need to cut cants larger than an 8x16 an 8" mill is going to deliver more power to the cut.  More power in tropical hardwoods will never hurt you.  Secondly, the large frame has stability issues to consider.  I have a lot of side to side vibration doing big logs (hardwood).  When I was buying my mill Karl Peterson told me the small frame was more stable.  They have stiffened the carriage in recent editions, but you really need to see one in action.  The videos never show you the really fun moments :D.  So, when are you coming down?
If cows could only tail....

Captain

Hey CR,

Revcant and I got our mills at the same time, and I know his side to side issue.  This has been resolved with an aluminum angle brace across the top of the WPF frame.  I saw one and I had to have one, so I had Peterson's send one to me.  It completely eliminates any side to side shuddering in the horizontal when cutting hardwood.  Looks cool too!!!

Captain

crtreedude

Revcant,

Man, I so badly want to come down, the problem is I currently have no life, or too much of one,  8) I am not sure exactly.

I am going nuts trying to deal with everything and getting ready for another trip.  I am still hoping to get down, but currently I can't not even guess when, maybe in March.

So, how do you know you are going to be cutting more 10" wood?  Is there more demand for 10" than for smaller?  I guess part of it is what I plan to do with the wood when I finish cutting it.  ah well, decisions, decisions, decisions...

Fred

Thank You Sponsors!