iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

jd 450b

Started by kiko, September 07, 2011, 09:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

I have a 1972 ( I think) 450b crawler. The steering clutches seem to be stuck to the clutch plate and it is my fault because I left the tractor uncovered for a while. It will track, but will not steer. Does anyboby know a trick to break them loose or am I looking at pulling the tanks and going into the clutches? I can't always get this tractor under the "barn" . Also, any tricks out there to keep the dry clutches from rusting to the clutch plate in the future?  I was thinking I might could chain the track to a tree and and snatch the track with the steering clutch lever engaged. I have removed inspections plates and the throw out bearing is moving on both sides. I got a feeling someone has been in this position before. Thanks

thecfarm

Sometimes working it will break it free. My Father never put a weight on the clutch of the old tractor until it froze up one year.Worked it for a while,did no good,was able to get some WD 40 or something like that,just a little, onto the clutch plate and that broke it free after working it some. This was after 35 yeras of just about leaving it where it was parked in the winter time. For the next 10 years a weight was put on the clutch pedal.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Have you can tried pulling on the clutch and applying the brake to that track? That will sometimes work. Other times you can unstick them by pushing against something solid and pulling the clutch. Other times you have to take them apart and do it the hard way. 

My dozer sits outside so I just pull back on the clutch levers whenever I walk past it and I've never had the steering clutches freeze up.

tjdub

The only option is to get your blade up against something that will not move and let the tracks dig while you work the levers.  Since both are frozen, I guess that may not be possible since you can't really steer it to find such a place.  Maybe just put it in the 1 low and absolutely STAND on the brake pedal while you pull the levers and pop the clutch?  If you could just get one free, then you could at least drive it around to find something to push on.

As far as preventing this from happening again, you have to do two things:

1) Use silicon gasket maker on the inspection plates under the seat.  That's almost always where water gets in.

2) There are 2 drain plugs on the bottom of each clutch housing.  You need to take those plugs out regularly to get any condensation/oil out of the housing.  I take mine out at least 2 times a year and there's almost always a few drops of water and oil in there.  

Good luck.  Hopefully you don't have to pull the clutches.  It's kind of a big job and the kit isn't exactly cheap either.   If you haven't seen it already, jdcrawlers.com forums has a lot of info and photos.  The guy that runs the site also sells parts very reasonably.

snowstorm

a 450 b has dry steering clutches the c and newer run in oil. you dont pull the tracks to get to them. you go in from the top. fuel tank oil tank all that comes off in one peice. its been a long time since i have done one. the 350 clutches are in the final drive. dose yours have power steering? some did

tjdub

Quote from: snowstorm on September 07, 2011, 05:49:07 PM
a 450 b has dry steering clutches the c and newer run in oil. you dont pull the tracks to get to them.

You still need to break the tracks in order to pull the pinion shaft through the final drive with a slide hammer before you can lift the clutch assembly out, but at least you don't have to remove the final drive like you do on the 350s.

kiko

Thanks for the info fellows. I will get out there this weekend and fool with it.

tjdub

I don't know if you've noticed this about the HLR transmission, but if you slightly depress the clutch petal when shifting, it effectively deactivates the powershift clutching delay.  That's the only way to really "pop" the clutch I suppose.  Otherwise, if the clutch is properly adjusted, you won't get the "snap" into gear that you'll probably need to break the clutch free.

Thank You Sponsors!