iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trying to understand logging economics

Started by Howdy, September 07, 2011, 01:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumberjack48

Loaded and wired many rail cars of peeled pulp, we tried to peel a 1000 cords every spring, those were the days the whole family helped peel wood.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

SwampDonkey

Yes, and around here the railroads were often run by timber barons. Irving still owns one, the Southern NB Railway. Old K.C. Irving had purchased it in 1945, which was built for timber extraction (1867) and northern settlement by  Alexander "Boss" Gibson who was also a cotton mill owner before the depression. Died broke because of the depression and also he gave his wealth away to the poor, especially those that worked in his cotton mills. Later years the railroad up the river valley had it's biggest customers from forest and farm products. All closed up now, what remains of it is the southern railroad from Saint John, NB into Maine. The CP leased all it's lines from them, and probably still do because I was fishing on the Miramachi one time and all the sudden new signs where hung, about not trespassing on the NB rail road lands. This was Irving's and I think they were afraid of camp fires. I always used a Coleman, but you could see fire pits around.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

I'm still trying to figure a profit.
Cutting hemlock
$186. mbf average
$  22. ton pulp
$  70. mbf trucking
$  30. mbf daily-fixed cost
$    2. mbf stumpage
When I got done I think I make $2.16 an hr
But I wouldn't do anything else.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!