iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a brand new case sv250. I don't like it

Started by Collima, September 05, 2011, 09:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Collima

I bought a brand new case sv250 skid steer (my dad bought one too a few months ago).  I think it is a poor design.  I wanted a new 445 because those things are tanks. But they don't have any new ones out there.
We have an 85xt and 4 445's.  Those machines run like a champ and are built tough!  The new sv250 runs good, but we already beat the living pith out of it (my dads).  I think it would be good for other applications, but it's definitely not designed with forestry in mind.  We shear trees with them on smaller jobs.
I suppose mine will be ok because it just sits out at the mill all day.  I'm just venting because they don't make 445's anymore.
I would buy a different brand, but case offers an extended warranty for forestry and most other dealers don't. 
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Bobus2003

I've got a 1845C and my dads got a 95XT for mulching, be a cold day in hell before we replace either of them with anything new or differnt brand.. I would actually love to trade my 1845C for a 85,90,95XT

Collima

Ya. I would love a 95xt!  This new sv250 has a lot of lifting power, but I think I would trade it in for an xt model.
We had a 1845 a long time ago. Definitely a good machine too!

Randy88

One of the new models has an electrical problem and they catch on fire and burn up, not sure what model it is though and another has a hydro problem where the hydro's go out and need replacing, I've talked to several mechanics who don't like them at all, they have had nothing but problems with them from day one and case doesn't know what is causing either of the failures.    One mechanic told me they have had over a dozen come back in either burned up or with hydro's out of them and the machines have less than 300 hours on them.   If your not happy I'd say your not alone by the sounds of it but thats all just rumor and shop talk so take it for what its worth.

Bandmill Bandit

The above posts a sad but true commentary on the decline of the Case Uniloaders. As far as i am concerned that decline started the day the last 1845C rolled out of the plant. The XT series start the decline with lousy joy sticks that are very hard on the arms from the elbows down, visibility is not so great and they are clumsy. 400 series didn't improve in either area and they are an even more clumsy uniloader when compared to the 1845C. Don't know about the new one and dont care to know. Case has not lived up to the reputation and market share that the 1845C established for them.

So far no one has met that standard IMHO. Cat is trying but no cigar so far.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Collima

The 400 series are the best in my mind.  I kinda wish I kept my 445 instead of trading it in for this new one.
I hope case steps it up! We have been buying from the same dealer for 30 years and have a fantastic relationship. If they don't build a better machine I will be forced to go somewhere else.  We have an ASV for brush mowing. Might have to go that route.  I don't want a cat or a bobcat.

mad murdock

I ran a Volvo loader up in Alaska, a 1994 model, don't remember the exact model.  It was a very NICE machine to operate, good visibility, and all the creature comforts, built very well, and very little problems with it.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

HiTech

Today it is about keeping production costs down and profits high, so the CEO's can have Huge Paychecks. It's not about a quality product anymore. They used to make things to last a lifetime, now they want you to buy new ever year. It's all about money, not in your pocket but someone else's.

barbender

You guys have to remember how much more is being asked of these machines today than when the 1845 was king. I own an 1845c and love it, but it simply can't hang in there with the new machines in a production setting. The balance of productivity/ operating cost if an 18451845c is perfect for my needs. As good as the 1845 is, Case would have been left behind if they hadn't updated.
Too many irons in the fire

Collima

I agree that more is being asked of the machines today, but why build something flimsy that can't take a beating like the older models?

Bandmill Bandit

Oh I agree they needed to up date but they didn't need to take steps backwards to do it.

The case market share in this are has gone in the tank and cat and JD have filled the vacuum for the most part. The newer case models cant take the abuse that the oil patch dishes out. Lots of the people in that industry say that none of the new models in any line stand up like the 1845C did.

I dont doubt it.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

barbender

Don't get me wrong, I wish Case still made the 1845, and I think they would still sell a lot of them. But a lot of people are asking for way more from these machines. Comparatively, I think the durability of the new Cases is as good or better than John Deere, Cat, or the other big names.I don't have any experience with the AV series other than sitting in one at a trade show today. I really liked the cab, we'll laid out and big as opposed to our 450, and the visibility is excellent.

Kansas

The local dealership that handles Case also handles New Holland. I notice over the last 4 or 5 years the number of new Cases on the lot has diminished, and the number of NH has grown a bunch. We have had great luck with NH. Banging around a log yard all day is not easy on a skid steer, and they stand up well. They may not have the warranty you want, but I know you can get an extended drivetrain warranty. They might be worth a look.

red oaks lumber

personally iv'e owned both case and newholland before i went deere. since switching iv'e had 6 deere skidloader and i beat the tar out of them. the new joy stick loader is real easy on the operator, good visability, great power, you need to upgrade to bigger tires which gives 11" of groung clearance. just offering another view. i put on about 1500 hours per year.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ironwood

I am looking at a Deere 240, older unit 1500 hours runs like a champ and drives sound very good. Any input?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

NWP

I think the new Case loaders are basically New Holland machines aren't they?  I have a 1845c and just traded my 440 in on an SV250.    The 440 couldn't get gone fast enough.  The hydraulic self leveling valve failed twice sending metal through the spool valve.  The first time cost me $5200.  The second time I fixed it myself and got rid of it.  So far I like the SV250 a lot more than the 440.  Increased lifting capacity and a lot smoother ride.  But I agree, you can't beat the old 1845c for reliability.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Bandmill Bandit

No! Case is not a New Holland nor even or ever related. JD on the other hand is a siamese twin to New Holland.

There is a new kid on the block and I mean new as they now build their own machine from the ground up.

Gehl RT Series http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_ctl.html

I put about 4 hours on an RT 210 this past weekend.

I was VERY impressed. It is not a wheeled machine with tracks on it. It is designed as a track machine from the the ground up and you can tell after about 10 minutes in the seat. Been on the 289 C series Cat, Case TR 320, TV380 in the last 6 weeks. Cats aren't even in the same league any more. The Gehl and the Case are a toss up for me but I have spent only about 15 minutes in the seat of the 2 Case units.

I did not like the Case XT or the 400 series but the T series seems to be as solid and comfortable as the old 1800 series. Visibility is excellent and they feel a lot like the 1845 C in the way they handle.

I will be buying one this spring and it will be a "push for push" "lift for lift" test that will make the difference for me. Case does come in wit ha 5" lift height advantage, 400 ish lb operating weight advantage, better rear corner visibility, 14 more ponies etc.
they price about the same. I like things about both cabs but the controls on the Gehl seem to be a lot more sensitive and give you a much better machine feel than any of the electric control systems I have been on so far. In fairness i havent been on the Case long enough yet to make that a fair comment on the the T series but when i haev spent a couple of hours o nthe seat of the Case I will be back to give a comment on the Case.

T series is also complete new from ground up in engineering as a tracked unit as well, and it shows.

Like i said push for push Lift for lift. will probably happen in April   

barbender

Gehl track machines are rebranded Takeuchis. I've never ran one, but they look like solid units.

barbender

I think the older JD skidloaders were made by New Holland, but since they came out with the 200 series they have been manufactured by JD. Now, Case and NH are both owned by the same company, I'd be surprised if they don't start sharing some components and design. It looks to me like they both use the same rubber track undercarriage.

jcbrotz

Thus the CNH. I know the tractors are made in the same plant just get red or blue skins. I believe the skidsteers are now also but I have not looked at new ones after I bought my Cat.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: barbender on January 13, 2012, 10:11:12 AM
Gehl track machines are rebranded Takeuchis. I've never ran one, but they look like solid units.

Not any more they aren't. The new RT series is a Gehl product to the core. May be built in a one of the contract manufacturing plants but they are the result of Gehl R&D and they have done a good job.

Case New Holland are now under the same umbrella Corp but there si still an agreement in place between JD and NH on several of the compact construction equipment lines that expires in 2015 I am told. Also told it will likely be renewed for 5 years as well.   

barbender

I use and abuse a Cat 287 at work all summer, it's been a solid perfomer overall. Most of the problems we've had have been with the ASV undercarriage it rides on, if you get into rocks or roots it tends to get the hydraulic drive lines torn off.  I got to try a Cat 299 with the Cat rubber track undercarriage briefly, that was a nice machine. I didn't really get to put it through the paces though. BB, you might be right, but they still look just like a takeuchi.

Bandmill Bandit

I ran a 287B for a couple of years and it was a great machine. the under carriage left a bit to be desired but then the ASV undercarriage never really was designed for any thing but a snow cat.

As far as the new Gehl and the Takeuchi "looking" the same, well they all sorta look the same but when you set em side by side there is a world of difference and it is not hard to see it at all especially in the new Gehl final drive and under carriage.

barbender

BandmillBandit- I had to do a little research, and I stand corrected. Takeuchi is no longer producing the Gehl/Mustang CTLs.

Dave VH

I got to spend a lot of time in a case 85xt, then I started renting some Cats.  I can't think of a category the Cat isn't better in.  I love those Cats.  Strong but sensitive.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!