iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chicken coup with a porch

Started by redbeard, September 04, 2011, 10:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

My Neighbor bought sawmill wood from me and built a 8'x20' chicken coup and last month when Meadows miller stopped in and did a Lucas Demo he slabbed up some 3" Doug fir for the neighbor to use for a porch on his coup. This is a first for me to see a porch on a chicken coup. I thought Chris might enjoy seeing some of his milling used in a project. 

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Burlkraft

That's a pretty nice chicken house  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Looks like a nice spot for the guard hound on that porch.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

chevytaHOE5674

8x20 chicken coop holy woah. How many chickens does he keep in that thing?

shinnlinger

Around here that would be taxed more than my house!  Probably not a good time to point out to your neighbor that coops are obsolete and Chicken tractors are the way to go.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SwampDonkey

I think those chickens are owned by someone that loves his birds.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Now that is a man sized porch.    :D   Gotta love lumber.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on September 05, 2011, 12:03:36 AM
8x20 chicken coop holy woah. How many chickens does he keep in that thing?

6!
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: shinnlinger on September 05, 2011, 05:58:42 AM
Probably not a good time to point out to your neighbor that coops are obsolete and Chicken tractors are the way to go.

Most definitely. When our chicken coop starts to smell and needs cleaning we just move it with the tractor and within minutes it is on fresh ground and smelling good again.

SwampDonkey

The neighbors have a cage with wheels, and they just wheel it to a new spot. It has a shade covering. Maybe that is what your talking about. It also gives them fresh grazing.

Bill Gaiche

I bet those chicken produce some Grade A double yokers to pay for there mansion. bg

WDH

That is the coup-de-gras of chicken houses  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

A fox,skunk,coon,weasel,etc would have a nice lunch with one of those chickens tractors in my yard. They would get under it in no time and have thier pick of the flock.  My neighbor up the road could use one,but I must have a sign that I can not see that tells all the critters to dine at The C Farm. I think it reads 2 for 1 special.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

If you got that many varmits you need to do some hunting. I used to have varmits and with a little help from a few traps and a rifle I have no more problems. Haven't lost a chicken in a few years. They free range the yard during the day and go into the coop to lay eggs and at night to roost.

thecfarm

I do some and the dog does alot. Just get tired of trying to fight for my food. Also tired of the price of grain. I can buy eggs all over the place for $2 and let others pay for the high grain and fight the critters.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WH_Conley

Yeah. Around here everybody thinks country eggs should be $1.00 a dozen. I figure $2.00 is close to the break even point. No comparison in taste though. The dogs do a pretty good job with the varmits.
Bill

chevytaHOE5674

I get $2.25 for a dozen eggs from this farm. I have no problems selling what we don't eat here. I make enough selling eggs to pay for the grain and such so that my eggs are free and then some. 

trapper

I pay $1.50 to the neighbor and they are extra large.  Fresh too.  Some times he has to go to the coop to get the last couple.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

shinnlinger

Actually chicken tractors have few pest issues because you move them every day and it confuses them.  I am in the woods and have lost maybe 5 birds in 3 years out of 600 or so raised.  I see fox, coydog and fishercat regularly in the yard, ok regularly might be stretching it, but I have seen them and they are around. Flashing motion lights,  A strand or two of electric fence or a guard dog can help here  as well if needed

WHen I used to sell eggs, I sold them for $4 a dozen.  People need to begin to appreciate that food that is good for you costs more and when you charge accordingly they respond.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

thecfarm

You are right about the $4 part. If I was selling eggs again I would charge that too.It's not just the grain but those chickens start to slow down on the eggs production after 2 years,or mine did. Have to clean the pen out and others things. My time is worth a little something. Never thought it confuses the critters in moving them each day. We only have one rooster now and if he keeps hanging around on the front steps I might have to feed him to the OWB. He survived just about 2 weeks outside. He gets closed up in the coop each night.

SwampDonkey

My uncle used to keep Plymouth Rock and the roosters were mean buggers when you were near the hens.

thecfarm

Speaking of a mean rooster,I've never seen this one aggressive at all towards us,friends,my dog or cat.He's a bateem. A neighbor showed up with his dog and the dog thought he would chase my rooster. That rooster ended up chasing the dog. I told him he might want to tell his dog to leave the rooster along. I was afraid the rooster would put the spurs to his eyes.I don't have any hens now,just him.

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on September 05, 2011, 08:16:30 PM
My neighbor up the road could use one,but I must have a sign that I can not see that tells all the critters to dine at The C Farm. I think it reads 2 for 1 special.  :D

You could sprinkle some grits all around the coup and that should keep the varmits at bay  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Ain't wasting my grits on no varmints.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!