iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Chainsaw Mill Jackshaft Help

Started by scor440, September 04, 2011, 07:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scor440

I need pics or text[pics help] on how to mount the chainsaw sprocket on the 4 stroke chainsaw mill i am going to build and if i should use a harvester sprocket or the one off my puked saw.Thanks

Hilltop366

Hi scor440,

I made a CSM a few years back and used a harvester sprocket, reasons that I used the harvester sprocket are they are available with smooth bore and key-way which makes it easier to get shaft machined than a spline shaft , and by using the larger sprocket I was able to run a slower shaft speed while keeping chain speed up.

I brought the shaft and sprocket to a machine shop and had them turn the shaft down a put key-way in, then drill and tap a hole in the end of the shaft and make a thick cupped washer to put on the end of the shaft with a bolt to hold everything in place, I also got them to make a few shim washers to put in between the sprocket and the shoulder of the shaft to adjust the sprocket height to match the bar.

sorry no pic.

shelbycharger400

on mine, i used a spur sprocket, cause i had one,  turned the drum off, but kept the large face of it, looks like a large washer.
their wasnt enough material to key,  i think it was 5/8? bore,  its tig welded to the shaft.  later i plan to go to harvestor, when i go full hydro.

scor440

Shelbycharger can i get picture of the jackshaft and the mill if it is done? scor440@aol.com.Thanks 

shelbycharger400

Thank You Sponsors!