iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Holy Cow!  How do you stand it.

Started by Tom, January 16, 2004, 04:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

The radio announcer came on this morning on my way to work and said that Connecticut was having
Minus 100 degrees with wind chill factor!!

It's 67 degrees here but I still rolled up my windows and turned on the heater when I heard that. :-/ :)

EZ

It was 12 degrees here this afternoon and when the sun went down it is 6. Was working on my mill all day today, and after the sun went down the bolts and nuts were sticking to my fingers. Thats when I decided its time to quit.
EZ

karl

It's getting old.
no school in any of our 13 districts for two days. 8)
greenhouse covering shattered wed. in cold and wind. :'(
Everybody I see is grouchy, glad I'm not like that- ::)
spent the last 4 days feeding fires, checking on vacation homes, feeding fires,starting vehicles, feeding fires, thawing pipes in vacation homes, feeding fires, repairing freezups,feeding fires,listening to sunworshipping wife complain about  cold,feeding fires- thank God I have wood heat so I can feed fires! ::)
Grumble Grumble Grumble!
Gonna put a snowplow on my truck and drive south 'til some one asks me what that thing on the front of my truck is!!!  ;);D
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Lenny_M

Thermal underwear/sweat pants/pants/2 pair socks/These artic boots called ironage(ssteel toe)thermal shirt/wool shirt sweat shirt/ winter jacket/good hat and of coarse the hunnting mittts Out side all day :'(

WAY TOO COLD TO FISH :'( :'( :'(

Pleanty of ice now, Just need some temps around freezing or above
  Tom should open that door down south and let some heat in up here ;D

Sawyerfortyish

It was -8 here this morning when the sun tryed to come up for the third time the wind blew it back down the first two times :D. Told the help stay home it took an hour yesterday to get the power unit started even being pluged in  the off bearing belt was froze and I gave up on the mulch grinder.Got the skidsteer started today and putterd around in the log yard. It's to cold to even try to split wood.

mustang

I read that Gore was giving a speach on global warming about the the same time in New York.  Seems that global warming is the cause of this!!

Frank_Pender

Mustang, did he invent that too? :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :'(
Frank Pender

Jeff

We were sawing at 6:00 this morning. It was nippy enough the board piler didnt shed any cloths till about 7 oclock. It was -7o when we started, -10o around day light then warmed up to around 6o above when we quit at noon.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

Jeff, there's a couple of things about that post that really confound me. ???  The first one is, why would anyone be sawing lumber when it is ten below?? The second one is, why the hell would anybody in their right mind be sawing lumber at SIX A. M.?   :P ??? :P ??? :P ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

The quitting at noon sounds ok though. :D

Jason_WI

67 degrees is well beyond tee shirt and shorts weather ;D I first closed my bathroom window last week ;D :D ;)

Heck, I can't wait to go snowmobiling this weekend. 70 mph busting through fresh snow on my dads farm. Wearing only sweatshirt, carhart winter jacket, hat, gloves, jeans, and lacross ice kings. Layers are for wimps, and so are long undies.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

tawilson

At least it's a dry cold.
I usually have one spell first thing where my hands freeze and I want to cry, then get thawed out and I'm ok the rest of the day. The spring and fall around here are usually so wet and cold and LONG that it's a pleasure to not have to slop around in the mud.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

shopteacher

Left at 6:00 yesterday for a to Dayton, Ohio.  Temp was about 5 and the F350 started right up. Let her run for about 15 min. then started out. We were in Ohio before that cab started to warm up. Water temp never got above 160 the whole trip and we run that heater full blast the whole trip. Gonna hafta think about insulating that cab!
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Hey Shop teacher, you oughta live far enough North ta know ya just fix that by throwing a piece of cardboard in front of da radiator. :)

DanG, we start sawing at 6 cause I can't get them to start at 5. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frickman

It was 0 here yesterday morning at 7:00, so I said heck with it and went to the PA Farm Show. Drove halfway there till the heater warmed up enough to take off my gloves. Got to see the new Woodmizer 70 though. It's quite a machine.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Wenrich

I've always figured I lose more money than I make when things get too cold.  Power unit is tough to start, some belts are froze, hydraulic lines are more apt to break, hydraulics are sluggish and slow, anything metal is more brittle, and there is too much DanG mud frozen to the logs.  

Good logging weather.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

pappy

Tom that minus 100F I believe was at the top of Mt. Washington in N.H. that's woodmills country... I'm located right at the top of ME. we only had minus 67F wind chill this week  :D.

Here's a link to the observatory at the top of the mountain. They record some of the coldest temps in the country.  :o

http://www.mountwashington.org/

To answer your question "Holy Cow!  How do you stand it"  you stay indoors as much as you can, why go outside the Dang pickup won't start anyway.  ;) None of our three vehicles started for three days.  Even the F150 with a block heater didn't start cause the battery was froze.  Had to use the trickle charger ta warm her up a bit.

Like karl said "feeding fires" great place to dispose of that slab wood you squirreled away last fall.
Read that book you've been wanting to read..eat..catch up on sleep..do a jigsaw puzzle..play cribbage..eat some more..try out a new recipe you found at the FF..read all the postings at the FF..Tell folks at the FF how cold it's been and why you sill love living up there.  ;D

weather report from northern Maine;
sunny with 21F...wind 24MPH.. feels like 4F..

It's a heat wave gonna take the son inlaw ice fishing today..need to lift his spirits a bit.. Went to visit a chum at his ice shack yesterday,  him and his 80 year old dad where yanking in the smelt by the dozens and also caught some 2 and 3 pound brookies..yum--yum for dinner tonight.

later gator,

termite
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Wes

cold here too.Its a good time to catch up on inside work.

UNCLEBUCK

wow termite , smelt and brook trout ! that sounds great ! we be heavy into crappie fishing a few hours after dark every night here in minnesota , a normal ice fishing shack is about 8 x 8 but my cousin made a 12 x 24 and leaves the heat on , and the t.v. and the stereo , even has a small bathroom . doesnt feel like fishing in that big thing so we use the 8 x 8 and a woodstove , the weather channel just been showing mount washington all week , I love bad weather and trout , lets trade !  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

redpowerd

-32 thursday mornin when i got up to cut wood. -70 with the wind. no exposed flesh and no booze.
seems when its this cold, i burn wood faster ???
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

ADfields

I don't like that bad cold y'all get back east so I moved to Alaska! :D :D

It's the coldest it's been all year hear in Palmer Alaska.
Today
-7 at 8am
-10 just after sunup
+3 at 3 pm
clear and clam no wind chill at all. ;)

Y'all have fun ;) it will be worming up soon over there!
Andy

karl

Appears whining works- it warmed up about 20 degrees today!
drove south 3 hrs today to do some cabinfever shopping down in woodmills country. plugged in the tractor tonight- hadn't even bothered before this week-gonna get smore wood from the yard tomora an' stick it the kiln. Gonna get upwards of 15 ABOVE !  8)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

pappy

ADfields,

"no wind chill at all"...... that's the key...I can take less 10 with no wind   :)
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

ADfields

If the wind blows hear it will be ten above or better outside, 20 or 30 above mostly if it's windy out and thats bad enough for me!   This part of Alaska is not near as cold as say Detroit but it do stay on longer. :-/   All them tales of Alaska being a frozen wast land are only half true, much of the half north of the Alaska Range is.   But this down here is not, it's cold but not bitter cold folks think of Alaska. ;)   Fairbanks was -51 the other morning with a 15 mile an hour south wind, my chill factor chart don't cover that cold!!! :o   Same day we were 16 above and dead calm.   I's glad to live in this little valley hear!! 8) 8)
Andy

woodmills1

It is a balmy 24 here right now.  The coldest I got during the spell was -9.6 with a wind chill around -40.  Mt Washington came to within 2 degrees of its lowest ever I think it was -44 real temp with -120 wind chill.  That place still has the higest recorded wind speed of any where on earth.  The weather on that mountain can turn very dangerous almost any time of year.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!