iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edging on a bandmill.

Started by paul case, September 03, 2011, 07:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

i have gotten a few questions on edging side lumber on a bandmill as of late so i decided to try to show how i do it. maybe someone else has a system they would like to share here too.

first while sawing i try to sort the boards needing edged into sizes and if they need edged on one side or on both. my examples are from edging pallet material 4'' and 6'' wide. i slide the boards off the end of my mill so they are easy to slide back for edging.

i stack serveral up on the mill flat and then stand up serveral boards at once and clamp them in place.

i then do some math. i allow 2'' for bark on the bottom then a 5 5/8 board plus 1/8 kerf plus a 3 5/8 board with anothe 1/8 kerf. first cut on this stack was 11 1/2''.

second cut was at 7 3/4''  yeilding a few good 3 5/8'' boards.

all the boards left under the clamp then need flipped over and all the good sorted from the junk and it looks like this.

then a cut at 5 3/4 finishes off the whole stack.

this is how i do it. i save it up so i can do serveral boards at once.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Collima

The single blade edger from woodmizer is very reasonable. I have one and it sure does save A LOT of time
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

pineywoods

Any way you do it, it's still a pain, too much handling. I do pretty much like pc, except on a woodmizer. I may be a little bit lazier. Instead of pushing the boards off the end of the mill, I throw them off the side onto the forks on a fel. Then I can use the tractor to dump the whole stack back on the mill.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

250quality

Home made jig with a worm drive works good.

beenthere

Are we looking at a worm drive? Interested in what you have.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

I always (when doing 1 inch lumber) slide all flitches over onto the loading arms.

Then when the cant is sawed down to 6 inches, I loosen the clamp and put all of the flitches up on edge between the clamp and the cant!

Then I figure what height will give me a clean cut on at least one of the flitches.  Once that cut is done, I loosen the clamp and take that board and flip it and place it next to the cant.

Then I will lower the blade 1 inch and make another cut.

If I have a clean edge, I will flip each clean edged board and place them next to the cant.

When I get to an even increment on one of the trimmed flitches (that is 12, 10, 8, 6) that board will be pulled off and stacked.

And it continues until all of the boards are clean on both sides.

When doing 2 inch or thicker, I edge one at a time.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

I work in a log rich environment and make a slab cut to get a 6" board.I have a dead deck and the bark edge boards are stacked on it.I like to cut down to a 5" cant on the mill then throw the boards on to be edged gives them some support and no backstops to hit. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Bibbyman

Although we have an edger, we still edge our heavy and long stuff on the mill.   

We accumulate the flitches to be edged on the loading arms.  When we saw down to a small enough cant, we put the flitches back on the mill against the cant.  We put the tallest ones against the cant that may have one clean edge - that way they don't need to be turned.  The rest of the process is like in your pictures above.  When the flitches are edged and off the mill,  we then continue to saw the cant.

We don't save up the flitches.  We edge them all before the next log rolls on the mill.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Buck

I do much the same as Chuck. I find it a whole lot better to stay right after them.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

woodmills1

with the 70 and hydraulic clamp, edging on the mill alone isa dream compared to the 2 plane clamp on the 40

and I have an edger................. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

paul case

i will have to take another  pic or 2 . i piled those flitches real high today. i was trying to get a bundle of ties without stopping to edge and i did. 2 piles must be 5' tall of all 5/8'' boards.
i have almost got the old corely edger i bought from larry a year ago ready to roll. i will get some pics of it too when it is up and running. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

250quality

Yes beenthere it's a 7-1/4 dewalt worm drive. The jig is a simple 12 foot table with a hinged straight edge also with 3 stop pins at 1" incraments.
We put a slab in and leave about 1-1/2" sticking out as that is what the saw cuts past the straight edge.
Flip it over and set the stop pins to whatever size we ca get fromthe slab.
I hate to see a guy stand still while I'm sawing so this does the trick pretty well.
I was always saving the slabs to edge last on the mill but never did look forward to moving them a bunch of times.
Also we rip stickers as we go with some of the off cuts.

sgschwend

Paul, are you just edging side lumber?  In other words you cut these boards to obtain the cant size you wanted?  Therefore all of the cant boards are already edged.  Your stack therefore comes from many logs.

If this is the case then in a days work you may end up with just a handful of boards.  At least that is what I found after doing about 2000 bf.  I would edge those at the end of the day.  Using the stack and cut, pull the good ones and keep dropping and pulling.  At some point flip and repeat.  Not much value here for material less that 6" so there is a limit to how low to go. 
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

paul case

steve,
my edging is a width size for pallet material. so cutting various width edged boards dont really help. i will cut 5/8'' boards down to where i can cut either the tie face or a cant face of the dimension i need for an order. if i was cutting grade i would roll the log/cant more and end up with more edged boards off the mill as i go.

i am still working on the edger. i did get it moved into the mill building and lined up with the mill. i still have to get the moveable blade to move but i have run a board or 2 through it  before having carb trouble again. i am about disgusted with this motor and ready to go get something more reliable. here is some pics of the corely edger.
is anyone else using one of these artifacts?

pc

paul case

pc

rbarshaw

I've never used an edger, but that engine looks like a wisconsin, I thought those were some of the most reliable engines around?
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

zopi

Looks like an onan to me...never met an onan engine I liked...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

r.man

That sounds like the start of a Briggs and Stratton, Tecumsah discussion. No hydro in your building Paul?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

paul case

kohler.  hydro?  just mucking through some issues. we will eventually get it  fixed.

i bought the edger when my wife had told me she wanted to help. then after about 2 hours or less cutting off boards she changed her mind. i would still like to get it going. i think it would speed things up some and less handling.  pc
pc

zopi

Oh...duh...got one like it in an old mower...vert shaft jobby...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

You are going to feel like that you are on vacation when you start using that edger!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

so far it is the one on vacation. i am still working on it, but i hope you are right.

i set it up so that the longet flitches could be slid off the end of the mill and still have room to walk between the edged and the pile, and that the length that i cut the most of could fall off the other end of the edger. i hope this will allow me to edge out a pile of flitches and not have  to go to the other end to catch any of them till i  am done. i may have to changeout the 3 rollers on the outfeed side for some skate rollers because they are too far apart and will let a bowed flitch hang up.

this edger  has powered in and out feed  and they are much faster than i expected.  i bet it feeds a 10 ft flitch through in about 8 seconds.  the moveable blade is stuck on the shaft. anyone got any good ideas how to get it loosened up besides pb blaster and the schorch wrench?  pc
pc

beenthere

Quote from: paul case on October 03, 2011, 09:25:56 AM
............... the moveable blade is stuck on the shaft. anyone got any good ideas how to get it loosened up besides pb blaster and the schorch wrench?  pc

Bluecreeper!!!!!!!!!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

the onan on my LT 40 was sweet
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

I agree with Bluecreeper.  I bet that it will loosen it up.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!