iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scenic Landscapes

Started by Furby, January 16, 2004, 03:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Norm

You've posted some really nice shots Furby do you use a digital or are these 35mm scanned? What make do you use?

Norm

pappy

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Furby

Thanks Norm.
I use a canon EOS Elan 7e 35mm SLR. These were 4x6" prints scanned with a Canoscan D 66OU scanner. I used xat to get them on the forum. I think the prints are MUCH better as I lost a lot when I ran them through xat. If I could find the negatives, I would have scanned them to see if I could have gotten better results, but I have them boxed up someplace.

Here's another one from Glacier N.P. 9/02

Norm

Wow nice shot. I wondered if you weren't using a 35mm, I use a Nikon myself but have mostly forgotten how to use it since I've gotten spoiled on the conveniences of digital.  :)

I've always wanted to go to Glacier NP but have never found the time.

Fabiola

Hi Furby, where did you take these pictures?
Nice place. Is that Michigan?
Fabíola
Fabíola Vieira
Forestry Engineer
Brasil

Furby

I wish, Fab!  I'd move there in a heartbeat then!  ;D
They are from Montana.

I hear ya Norm, I just got a little cheap digital a few months back. It does a good job, I just haven't had time to really use it yet. If money wasn't a concern, I'd have one of those digital SLR's in my hand, with all the goodies, I mean support equipment possible.  ;D
If you get the chance to go to Glacier, grab it!!!! I'd rank it as one of the top ten parks I've been to. The colors in the rocks are FANTASTIC. Make sure you don't miss the Many Glacier area, it's great!
I'm starting to think I need to set up one of those online photo albums like some of you have.

Termite, Yeah summertime. Sounds great don't it? I can't wait!  ;D

SwampDonkey

All nice scenery folks, and your rolling landscape in northern Maine is similar to mine in New Brunswick termite  8)

Here's some pics for ya.

Douglas Channel, an inland sea in northwestern BC

Upper Presque'Isle Island in the Saint John River, near Hartland, NB
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen_Wiley

This christmas my wife got a Nikon digital which I am getting used to using.  Will hopefully use it for pics for reports and internet.

Still use my 35mm SLR (Canon F1)  for scenic and quality photos.

What model of Nikon 35mm have you fogotten how to use, Norm  ???
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

SwampDonkey

I like the Glacier NP scene also. I have some shots of the Columbia Ice Fields in Jasper Alberta and Bear Glacier near Stewart BC. Maybe I'll post them later on. I used 35 mm also, but my camera wasn't that great. I now use digital.

regards

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Furby

Arcadia National Park          10/01

SwampDonkey

Furby:

Those bare rock bluffs in Acadian National park remind me of areas between Edmundston and Campbelton NB, and even on the Gaspe Pennisula of Quebec where some of the oldest Acadian villages are, such as Rimouski which celebrated 300 years in June 19th 1996. If you follow the Matepedia valley from Campbellton through the heart of the Gaspe Peninsula to Rimouski you'll see similar land forms also. In 1934 was Gaspe's 400th anniversary since Jacques Cartier planted a cross on its shore. Similar in age are the Acadian dykes erected at Hopewell Cape near Moncton NB at the mouth of the Peticodiac R (home of the Tidal Bore).  The Gaspe area is even more rugged along the shore line with cliffs and rock bluffs. Not far from there is the bird sanctuary on Percy's Rock. You'll also travel through the Woodland Caribou reserve as you wind your way along the coast line. Its a nice area to tour and the rest areas are well maintained and clean, unlike what you'll encounter in NB.

I love your pictures Furby, keep on posting :)

regards

Furby

Thanks SwampDonkey.
Do you know of any links about the area you were talking about? It sounds pretty cool. The fact that you say "it's even more rugged" sounds interesting to me. I'll have to add that to list of places to visit, someday.  ;)

SwampDonkey

@ Furby

Gaspe tourism here

http://www.great-adventures.com/destinations/canada/gaspe.html

Click on the Chic Choc link at the top of this page
In the popup click the map in the lower right to see where your at

http://www.sepaq.com/En/index.cfm

Sugarloaf mountain, Campbelton New Brunswick

http://www.atlanticcanada.worldweb.com/PhotoGallery/MountainsLakesRivers/10-3012.html

Restigouch River Valley near Campbelton NB
http://new-brunswick.net/new-brunswick/restigouche/restigouche.html

Hopewell cape rocks and Acadian Dikes
http://www.thehopewellrocks.com/

enjoy

Furby

Thanks SD!
I get an error on the Chic Choc pop up, but the others work fine. I  really like the Hopewell Rocks, looks like fun!

North Cascades N.P.             9/02

SwampDonkey

HI Furby

I just tried the chic choc link also and it was dead. Oh well.
Nice view of the Cascades, was that a canal, inland sea or around an island passage?

regards

Furby

Hey SD,
I'm not sure.  :-/  think it's a reservoir, so would that be an inland sea?  ???

The pics a little dark, I wish I could show them as they look in the prints, oh well, you get the idea.  ;)

SwampDonkey

HI Furby:

It really looks like sea water because of the greenish blue color of the water. :)

I know what ya mean about the picture quality, 15 k jpg is low quality  :-/

Furby

SD,
The pics I took came out two different colors for the water. I got the green and a really good blue. It all came down to the zoom and the filter I was useing. The real color at the time was a lot closer to the green.
I'm doing my best to work around the 15k thing. I understand why we have the limit, I just wish I had a better way of showing them.
Does anyone know of any online photo albums that are really cheap and maybe even password protected? I went to a few but I really wasn't impressed.  :-/

SwampDonkey

:-/ Furby

Most web hosting sites I've seen start at $11.95/mo plus setup fees, like at yahoo. You create your own custom pages though. If you have Dreamweaver MX 2004, it has templates to make albums. I use it for my site. Might be a bit too expensive for just maintaining a photo album site though.  ???

regards

Ianab

Furby
What about Jeff's "Free Web Page Space for Forum Members" thing?
I'm sure you could set up small photo collection there, your pics pretty good and worth posting in a larger size.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Gonna think on that one, Thanks!

pigman

What a beautiful place. Shame so many had to die there. The brown area in the lower right of the picture was the Firebase Tomahawk. The National Guard Artilery unit from Bardstown, Ky was located there in June 1969 when they were overrun and several were killed.  I was  there a week later to help move the  firebase farther up the hill to to make it easier to secure. I saw several beautiful sunrises and sunsets while I was there. This picture was taken from that location.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Buzz-sawyer

Another good one Bob......... :) :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Sam

Wow! Some awesome pics on here! I've had a Canon Rebel SLR for a few year's now and really enjoy taking pics. I've been hesitant to get a digital because I've been so spoiled to my SLR. I guess I was a good girl last year because my wonderful husband bought me a Canon Digital Rebel XT for Christmas. I can't wait to try it out! I think we will be visiting some of the vinyards up in Hermann Missouri later this month and I'm hoping for a few photo ops then. Furby, any pointers for this amateur photographer? I'm not real sure what filters I need to check into.

Sam

Max sawdust

California Coast line Sonoma County.
I like how you can not tell the difference between the waves and the coastal mountains 8) Great place to visit (Redwoods are near by too ;D)

Front yard in fall Great place to live :D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Furby

Well the nice thing about digital cameras is that filters are not 100% needed. Digital editing allows you to change the pic pretty easy and adjust the color as you choose.
Having said that, I'm one that would rather take the pic as I want the final image to appear, the less messing with the pic later the better!
For my 35mm I carry a basic "kit" that has served me well.
Something like a UV filter/protector is something everyone should use if possible. There is really very little loss in the image when using one, and if it gets a scratch, it's a ton cheaper to replace compared to the actual lens piece.
I also carry a Circular Polarizing & 812 or 81A Color Warming filters.
The circular polarizing filter can be rotated to adjust the affect, but is affected by your angle to the sun.
The warming filter is one I like to use to bring out a bit of color once in a while. I have a pair of sunglasses that are a close match to the warming filter and can get an idea what a pic will look like without even using the camera.

Link
That link is to a sample kit, shop around! ;)

I tend to play around a lot, most times shooting the same scene with each filter and then change the composition and go through each filter again.
With 35mm, that gets exspensive! Digital makes that easy as you can simply erase what you don't like after trying something.
Play around some, both with your filters and editing software to see what it can do. You may or may not want to actually use filters.

SwampDonkey

I have UV and polarizer on my digital. They were an add-on from Tiffen, and came with a special mounting bracket. I had no idea at the time of purchase what they are for, but I left'm attached. I'm no expert camera person by a long shot. :D

Furby

Just remember, there is almost always a bit of light loss when using a filter.
The UV have probly the least amount of loss as it is just a clear lens.
Basicly, using a filter when it's not needed, in this case using a polarizer say.... indoors, should make your pic darker and harder to see.

Sam

Thanks for the info! I do have a UV filter and put it on this weekend. I'll check the kits out.

Sam

Furby

As I travel around, I try to keep the digi camera in my bag.
Some times I get a fair shot or two, but most times I get a pile of junk.
So far I have missed four awesome shots in the last week or so.
Here is one of the better ones that I did get though.
It don't really fit this thread, but don't know what thread it fits, so it's going here!

Anyone wanna guess where it was taken?

pigman

From the cab of your truck ;D
Bob.

Furby

Bob...... The smart ash! :D

isawlogs

Where it was taken ,...   I dont know but from all those lights flashing at you , you should not have stopped there to take it .  ;D

Nice pic , where ever it is , theres one tall building there . those where fun to put together before they started to make them outa ciment .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Max sawdust

Quote from: Furby on October 03, 2006, 08:38:59 PM

Anyone wanna guess where it was taken?

First off Furby, that is a great photo.  And through the rearview mirror to boot :D
The angles and skyline are not right for one of my favorite rear view mirror scenes, Which is entering the tunnel after you crossed the bridge leaving Pittsburgh.

Hmmm been most everywhere twice but can not quite nail this one down.  you are crossing water I think, and you are from Michigan, so going to say looking looking back at Detroit on the way to Windsor?  If I am wrong tell me if it is a sun set or sun rise, by traffic I am guessing sunset.
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Furby

The hint....
I leave very early each morning! ;)

Marcel, you crack me up! :D :D :D
What makes me mad was just up the road a bit, I missed a couple shots that were even better then that one. :-\

pigman

I go it figured out. 8) I reversed the picture so the mirror image was back to normal and I recognized the city as Grand Rapids as you are leaving the city. Of course I have never been to Grand Rapids. ;D
Bob

Furby

::) :D :D :D :D

Next hint........
Tall buildings, one taller then the others. ;)

SwampDonkey

Too much traffic for me Furb, I'm stayin home with my 1 car an hour traffic congestion. :D

Murf

I mentioned on the sky shots thread that I had taken some pictures of the fall colours around my summer place, I didn't want to fill the thread, but here's one that I think qualifies as scenic landscape anyways.

This is just south of Algonquin Park in central Ontario.

The dark area to the right is a wall of rain I was dodging.  :D 

I spent most of the day zig-zagging around rain storms.  :)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Tom

It must rain up there a lot, Murph.  Look at all the puddles.  ::)

Joshua

Murf

Shhh, don't tell nobodies but dem puddles is full of Trout & Bass, and dem's good eatin!!!!

The puddles dat don't have a road to 'em, dere full of fishies dat's so hungry dey prettinear jump out atcha!!  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Furby

That is an awesome pic Murf!

sawguy21

Wow!! Murf, that is really special 8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Don P

We stopped on the way to work this morning, I like this view. I'm in a field of Fraser fir Christmas trees. Cave Hill is in the foreground, Dry Run creek is at the base of the steep side. Cave hill, dry creek bed... ;) If the creek is full you don't want to be in the cave  :D.

Don P

We took some friends up to Grayson Highlands last weekend, the mountain ash were as pretty as I've seen.

We passed by some of the wild ponies that live there

Up near the top of the world for us, Mt Rogers, VA's highest peak is in the background. The boys had to try a little bouldering, hard to believe the youngest is in high school.

SwampDonkey

Must be pretty high up if it's scrubby growth in Va. Our highest peak in the Maritimes is only 2983 feet ASL at the peek of Mnt Carleton, give or take. It's granite and shrubby growth up there.  Mount Kitahdin in Maine is twice that height. The Maritimes aren't really that high in elevation, alot of lowlands in the south and east NB.

Don P

I thought it would look familiar SD, it's our little lost piece of Canada  :D.
I think the elevation is 5729'. Mt Mitchell down in NC has the highest peak in the Appalachians at 6684'.
We hiked in on Wilburn Ridge. He was a famous early hunter and trapper hereabouts. The legend is that he wanted a bear for a pet and so wrestled one from the top of that mountain to the bottom before the bear agreed.

Paul_H

The picture of the Grayson Highlands almost looks like a painting.
Is there a bit history behind the wild Ponies?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

Here is the day time photo of where I was bear hunting. One of the evening photos below that is in sky scenes.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Don P

Sure is tempting to put a bear in there  ;D
I really like that evening shot.

I don't know the history of the ponies Paul, boy do I feel dumb, there must be a good story behind them, I'll ask around. They have a pony auction every fall at the festival.
Good closeup of one on the state park website;
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/parks/pictures/grhfotos.htm

sawguy21

Jeff those pictures could have been from our Cariboo area in south central BC. Great fishing in those small lakes.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Dana

Fall colors in our pasture. Original image was clear before compression.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Muddy Waters

hi ya'll...first post on the Forestry Forum...add one more redneck Forester to the list...I like to paddle my pirogue thru the swamps around here..

Onthesauk

Muddy Waters,     Great pictures!  Welcome.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Norm

We've been having freezing fog in the mornings and then the sun comes out.

SwampDonkey

Nice scene Norm. You live near a big body of water for all that frosty fog to happen? Looks like one of our mornings just before a thaw, only not quite as heavy frost.

She was frosty this morning at -5° F, it's now 10°, snow dusting coming. We've been getting two storms a week for quite some time. :)

Norm

We get this quite often in the winter SD. We'll have very cold days followed by warmer south winds. As they blow over the cold snow we get freezing fog that coats everything in a hoar frost.

SwampDonkey

Looks like a mild Christmas on the way here, rain beginning Sunday. Been too cold to wash the car, like to wash some salt off. Snow shoed up to the woodlot today to make trail so I'll have a hard base to walk on after this rain spell. The snow sure is adding up. It was almost like work when ya sink into the snow 6 inches breaking the first path. Wasn't bad walking back. Probably close to 2 miles of shoeing. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!