iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old growth Douglas Fir

Started by redbeard, September 02, 2011, 01:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbeard

Looked at a possible job to take down a snag, luckily its only 40' high not like the brother next to it which is a good 120'. Its a healthy 4' across with lots of pitch pockets ( rock hard old pitch hard on blades) If its a saw log customer wants wide slabs for a future table out of the butt  and beams out of the upper part of log. So I will need FF member Steve Geshcwend to assist me with his slabber on his Brand X mill. Its in a pretty open area no danger of hitting anything except maybe the water that would be a bit more work getting it off the beach. ;D

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

backwoods sawyer

Some of them old fir logs will pop clean apart when you slab them and open up the pitch seams.
If you can get it to hold together there should be some interesting grain pattern in there. Once it is on the ground you will have a better look at the log.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

logwalker

I have cut a few of those here on San Juan Island. I would expect the quality to be well down the scale. But maybe I am wrong on this one. We slabbed ours also and some of them just fell apart with large checks and pitch pockets. Good Luck, Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Brucer

I was offered one like that to saw up -- not as big in diameter, but the tree had been topped about 24' up.

I found the top 1/3 was pretty much rotten -- flat top = water collecting and not evaporating quickly enough.

The bottom appeared to be pretty sound, but someone had obviously built a tree house in it. Someone had also been practicing "nailing". After pulling out 80-plus nails the metal detector was still sounding like a geiger counter. I abandoned the job before the log even left the property, so I never did find out if the bottom wood was OK.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

Looks like there is a story behind that stub, with all those rock cairns around it.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sgschwend

Well, if Redbeard gets it I will slab it.  With our wet weather the other NW folks probably have hit it on the head, the top will be likely be bad. 

The customer may want the tree sawn since it comes from a family place.  Hopefully they will pass on any tree house or other metal use there.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

captain_crunch

All I can say from liveing in Oregon is good luck Old timers left trees like that because they did not get paied fer culls
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Ianab

Quote from: captain_crunch on September 08, 2011, 12:34:38 AM
All I can say from liveing in Oregon is good luck Old timers left trees like that because they did not get paied fer culls

Probably true, but what was a cull back then could be treasure now.

A few years back Lucas were demoing their chainsaw slabber at the Ag Fieldays, with a big hunk of old Kauri pine that had been left in the bush 70 or so years ago. It was the last log, with the top end starting to branch out, so it was a "cull" back then. But the wood was still sound, in spite of laying on the ground for 70 odd years, and they sliced it up into 2" thick table slabs that they were selling for $1,000 a piece. They sold them all.

Once the thing is on the ground and you can see what's inside you will have a better idea if it's trash or treasure.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Back in the mid 90's we were doing forest surveys in the Queen Charlotte Islands for growth and yield in "juvenile" stands. This one site was logged in the 40's and the hill side had lots of 5-6 foot diameter red cedar logs lying about. The sap wood was rotten in for about 4" and the rest was sound wood and smelled like you just cut it when we chopped into them. These were in rain forest.  I don't know what recovery you could expect from them, as there probably was rotten pockets here and there.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redbeard

took down the big fir it was heavy and although there is pitch rings it has enough potetial to get some nice parts. I delivered the logs to steve Geschwends brand X swing mill with slabber so there will be another chapter to story. This tree is 300 plus years old maybe steve will count the rings for us.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

sigidi

Looks like a good sound log  8) ;D 8) ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

logwalker

The problem I run into is that pitch never stops flowing. Is the a solution out there?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

SwampDonkey

GAmillworker

Yes, we kiln dry heart pine for the same reason.  We run it up to 135-140 for a couple hours depending on how many bdft we have in the kiln.  It flows like honey at first then crystalizes.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Magicman

Steve's eyes may glaze over when he sees it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logwalker

It isn't easy to kiln a 4" slab. What then?

Ianab

Quote from: logwalker on September 30, 2011, 12:53:59 AM
It isn't easy to kiln a 4" slab. What then?

You can air dry it, then give it a quick bake in the kiln for a day.

Once it's dry it's pretty much impossible to damage, even with a wrong kiln schedule.

Once you get it warm enough the lighter compounds in the pitch evaporate, and leave the heavier ones that set solid.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sgschwend

Some pics of the first log.  The sap rings are a problem, but the customer knows they are there.

The center part will produce 5- 3" thick slabs

Here are 2X8 & 3X8 VG parts from the top and bottom 1/3

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Magicman

Thanks for the pictures Steve.  I was anxious to see what was inside of the big log.  Did your "helper" show up  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

You would not think that a douglas fir would have that kind of color and character.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I guess that with a 300+ year old DF, one could expect some character.  If it only could talk, there would be some stories.   :)  At least it can "live" on now as some beautiful wood work.

sgschwend

Here is an image of the stacked slabs, Redbeard will post some others.  Redbeard is in the background.

Note the slabs separated along the included pitch lines:

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

redbeard

It was a good early morning job helping steve with the slabing project. The Brand X mill with the Lucas slabber sure makes cutting wide a breeze. Although these were very heavy slabs and cutting through the pitch rings was a strain on the teeth. But Steve got er done.

Steves off road military fork lift is really nice especially the side shift sure makes staking your piles nice n neat.

Magicman

Nice job guys.   :)

It would be worth it just to get to operate that big honking fork lift.

Thank You Sponsors!