iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction and thanks

Started by Full Circle, September 01, 2011, 11:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full Circle

Hello and thank you to this forum.  Like many others, I've been reading and learning a lot here for some time now.  The knowledge found here is only surpassed by the good-natured way it's presented.  I'm looking forward to much more learning.

As far as my story goes, my dad bought a new Woodmizer LT40 in 1987 with a shingle/lap siding attachment.  I was away at school then and only got to mill with him during breaks and occasionally on weekends in the summer, so we didn't get to use it too much.  About 1991 I tried my hand at market gardening with 3 acres of vegetables on my parent's 28 acres. I did this for two years and did some portable milling in the off time.  Also milled some red pine on the property so I could build a small barn.  From then to now I worked 15 years in the construction equipment industry.  Milling was sporadic during these years until about five years ago when I met Greg, who would turn out to become a very good friend of mine.  He has an LT40 hydraulic and my time around a mill increased a lot.  We set up the shingle/lap siding attachment on Greg's mill this summer and used it for the first time since new.  It only took me about 1 can of penetrating oil, two hammers, and two hours to free it up.  Good thing woodmizer used brass bushings or I think I would have needs something stronger...

In March of this year I formed Full Circle Farm and Forest Products, LLC.  Before taking the plunge I visited a fellow Forestry Forum member in Connecticut who had just taken his portable sawmill business from part-time to full-time.  (I didn't ask him if I could use his name, so I shouldn't, but he can chime in anytime if he wants....)  Anyway, I sent an email to him asking if he'd be willing to talk with me about his business, as I was considering starting one.   A few days later we were sitting at his kitchen counter and he was more than gracious and candid with me.  He showed me around his mill and answered all of my questions and then some.  A good visit with a nice man.  Not too much later I talked with another Forestry Forum member (who also happened to be from Connecticut, and who I also didn't ask about using his name).  He also gave me some good advice on forming a portable sawmill service in New York state.  I am very appreciative of how they assisted me.   So now I have formed the company and am working on getting some exposure.  Because of the generosity of my friend Greg and my dad, I have two mills to use (until volume warrants getting my own) and some support equipment to go with it.  My wife and daughters are part of it, too, whether it be taking pictures, or simply understanding when I'm sitting at this computer for all hours of the evening.  My brother created my website...  Many people have made this possible and that is a good motivator.

As far as the business is concerned, the "Farm" part will come later.  My plan is to develop the portable sawing side first, but in the meantime I've picked up a job where I am clearing two or three acres (with another two or three additional acres) of Black Locust trees that came down in an ice storm this past winter.  

My only pay is the wood, so there is no pressure to perform or timeline.  The caretaker of this estate is very flexible and lets me come and go as I please.  He's allowed me to set up a mill (the old LT40) there, and is fine with customers picking up whatever they might be buying.  It goes against all business sense because I've got a pile of saw logs and firewood logs and no established market to sell into.  But with portable sawmill customers not beating down my door yet, this seemed too good an opportunity to meet some people and keep me milling.  I really like black locust and am hoping there is at least a niche market for something besides posts and firewood.   Between me, Greg, and my dad, we can use a lot of locust for the buildings and saw sheds we're talking about.  So none of it will go to waste.  Here are some more pictures.  Hope I'm doing this right:

The above are older equipment, versus the newer equipment in the below pictures.  You'll see the shingle/lap sider if you look close.  Also in the background of one of the below pictures are some logs of what's left of about 4000 lbft of white pine.  That's what we made some lap siding out of.

Hopefully this introduction is adequate (if maybe too long).  Thanks again for a great forum.

-Roy

-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

buildthisfixthat

looks like youre off to a good start and a hard worker  cheers to youre new venture  ,,
shop built bandsaw mill

customdave

Welcome  Full Circle , nice pics too, Don't forget to play safe...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

redbeard

Nice looking set up, It would be tough to do without the excavators they  sure make log handling from the rough terrin to the log handling area a lot more easier. Welcome Full circle.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Coon

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  From the looks of things you'll fit right in.  :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

I like anything with"farm" in it.  :D  Good luck with all of your plans. Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pnyberg

Quote from: Full Circle on September 01, 2011, 11:21:57 PM
I didn't ask him if I could use his name, so I shouldn't, but he can chime in anytime if he wants....

I enjoyed your visit, and I'm glad to see you're finally up and running.  Welcome, and best of luck.

--Peter
No longer milling

metalspinner

Full Circle,

Welcome aboard.  Pics in the first post! 8)

That's some good looking locust you have there. Not one hollow one in the bunch! I'm looking forward to the lumber pics. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SamB

Nice support equipment and nice solid locust logs, hard to find ones the ants haven't gotten into in my area, good luck with your new venture. :)

Raider Bill

Beautiful country down the in Dutchess. Welcome aboard!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ianab

QuoteIt goes against all business sense because I've got a pile of saw logs and firewood logs and no established market to sell into.  But with portable sawmill customers not beating down my door yet, this seemed too good an opportunity to meet some people and keep me milling.

But you haven't spent cash on buying logs or standing trees.

And you will be able to cut something, of at least some value, out of them.

In the end it will come down to whether it was a good deal, and you make some money, or if you end up working for minimum wage?  But either way, you are not seriously out of pocket, you have some useful product to sell.

Several guys work on that "free tree removal " model here. They clean up old farm shelter belts, big cypress, eucalyptus and pine on local farms. Sometimes they get useful saw logs, sometimes they sell them for firewood, usually a mix.

But even selling them as firewood, they will come out ahead on the deal.

This is of course situations like your pics, out in the middle of nowhere, where you can get in and just drag out logs, not some big tree leaning over a house  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Roy!

Always good to see another NY'r on here!

Looks like things are going well for you.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Norm

Those are some beautiful black locust logs there. In my area they would be rotted in the middle and of no use but firewood.

Welcome to the FF.

Dave_

Welcome to the Forum!

With the user name "Full Circle", I thought you might be one of us nutty circle saw guys.  As soon as I saw orange paint and not rust, I knew that you were with the band-clan :D

...nobody's perfect ;D

Just kidding!!

Great looking outfit.

Full Circle

Thanks for the warm welcome!

The locust is turning out pretty nice, with more than a hand full of 16 to 18 footers, small end at 15".  I am finding some rotten centers that I may open up to see if there's anything usable, otherwise it does make good firewood.  Last count was about 75 saw logs of various lengths and dimensions.  I've found my approach to how I mill is dependent on which mill I'm using:  with the manual mill and no debarker, I tend to cut a bit heavier slab on the opening cut, for instance.  But the old Onan, although temperamental if it sits for any length of time, sure sips the gas.  I've found that the biggest time consumer with the manual mill is in the clamping process.  And a debarker is sure a nice thing...  But I'm not complaining.  Being able to choose between two mills is a luxury, not a problem.  We're planning on using the hydraulic mill for the bigger logs, though.

There's no thumb on the old Kubota, but the log tongs are working well and sure beat chains.  I'm amazed at what the old girl can do.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words.

-Roy
-Roy

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum and great pics.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

welcome. good to have ya here.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

red oaks lumber

welcome full circle.. tell us more about the "farm" part :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Collima

Sounds like you have a good set up. Once you get some word of mouth going around you'll be super busy.
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

Jasperfield

Roy,

Welcome to the Forum.

From what you've described about yourself and your work, I'm sure you'll soon find more customers wanting your services. These things take time and risk. There is no profit without risk...it is part of the recipe.

So long as you enjoy your vocation prosperity is not far behind.

I'm a big fan of Black Locust and your logs are nice ones. Nothing makes better posts for pole-barns and sheds. Uses for Locust is limited when compared with other species, but when you need the properties Locust offers, nothing else will do.

mikeb1079

i've got a suggestion for the locust:  decking.  it seems like more and more folks are looking for a "green" alternative to pressure treated lumber for their decks.  perhaps this could be a niche market for you.  good luck and thanks for the pics   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

pnyberg

And by the way, that is one slick website (http://fullcirclefarmandforest.com/).  You should add a link to your signature line.  Can't hurt.

--Peter
No longer milling

Full Circle

Thanks for the compliment and suggestion, Peter.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply here.  Whether a welcome, compliment, suggestion, word of encouragement, or any combination of those, I appreciate it and, even though I was not discouraged in the least beforehand, I feel more encouraged now.  (Maybe I am crazy.  But so so are all these people and they're doing alright....(grin))

I'll update you on the locust and other things going on.  Probably ask a question or two, as well....     And in general am looking forward to being part of this group.  I'm heading to my brother's house this morning where one of the things we have planned is to clean up a large black walnut that came down on his property during hurricane Irene.  I'll post some pictures.

Thanks again,
Roy
-Roy

Magicman

Welcome Full Circle, to the Forestry Forum.  That was a wonderful introduction with pictures that you gave.  I look forward to following your adventures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!