iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pit Beef

Started by Norm, September 01, 2011, 04:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I tried out something new on the grill I'd never made before called pit beef. Needed a top round cut and while Patty was in town she stopped at the butcher only to be told he didn't have it but had a prime cut off the butt. You salt and pepper the heck out of it and then tightly wrap in saran in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. I used my weber grill with the lump mounded on the one side so I could sear it and then finish. Took about 2 hours to get done. Let it rest for a few minutes and then onto the slicer.

I used a very thin slice setting to make it paper thin.

Put it on toasted kaiser buns with provolone cheese. Patty took one bite, looked over at me, and went oh my god is this good.   :D

Patty

Norm has had to resort to slicing or grinding most of our meat these days and this recipe was the ultimate.  8)

Ever since I choked on a piece of meat, my throat feels constricted and I still have trouble swallowing, so the slicer and grinder get plenty of use now. For you folks that have this same problem, or cook for someone who does, this method works very well.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Mooseherder

That looks real good. :)
The boys better come over to help you eat some of that.

WDH

You need to throw some kind of party  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Like a Quilting event. ;D

sandhills

I may even take up quilting if that's what's on the menu for lunch break  :).  That looks great Norm!

thecfarm

I don't care if it's a grit party.  ;D  I should get there just about this time tomorrow. Pit Beef and eggs,with grits on the side. Norm,I really like the way you eat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice, and sounds pretty easy too.
Needs some hot horseradish and bbq sauce.

Course now I'm hungry.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

DELISH!!!!!

Norm was that for a catering event or are you feeding a army?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

I'm a big boy!  :D

It was a 4# roast and I don't want to say how many sandwiches I ate but let me say I put a big dent it it. I'll freeze the leftovers for a beef stew when the next cold front shows up.

Jon that's exactly what they say to use for a topping on these sandwiches. If I remember right this style of cooking started in your area.

red oaks lumber

norm,
that is one nice looking butt you got                 on the slicer :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Horseradish and BBQ sauce are good on most everything  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

If I pull and bring some fresh horse radish, can I have some pit beef? The darn stuff grows like burdocks around here. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clam77

That does look good!!  He's only about 2 hours away from me.... I'll be the guinnea pig just to make sure it's safe for the rest of you..    :D

And horseradish grows like that around here too SD.... VERY good soil we have for growing stuff we don't want..   ::)
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Don_Papenburg

What brand of slicer you got there Norm ? Makes that beef look good on both sides.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Norm

It's a Hobart commercial unit Don. Does a great job but a real pain to clean so I tend to use it only when I have a mountain of meat to cut up.

Payton34

Holy crap(hope I can say that).  That looks so yummy.  I bet it would be good on Steve's green egg, too.  Sounds like a good idea for Christmas dinner.  I wonder if the horseradish will still be tasty if I dig it now?!!?  Anyone know?  How are you doin', Norm.....sure would be nice to have a beer with ya!

Norm

Hey Jill!

I'd be willing to bet the horseradish will still be good. Tell ya what test it on Steve just to be sure.  :D

SwampDonkey

If they behave like a parsnip, they will taste all that much better, right now. With all them stored sugars. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Clam77

Right - the rule of thumb we've always used is that you can dig it during any month that has an 'R' in it.  Certain times of the year you'll get it sweeter/hotter than others - just depends on your weather and soil.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

sandhills

Quote from: Clam77 on December 03, 2011, 07:34:39 PM
Right - the rule of thumb we've always used is that you can dig it during any month that has an 'R' in it.  Certain times of the year you'll get it sweeter/hotter than others - just depends on your weather and soil.

That's what my wife has always said also.

SwampDonkey

I know that store bought parsnip are about tasteless. You pull it from the garden when it's dormant and the flavour is there.

Thank You Sponsors!