iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone growing Tabasco Peppers?

Started by Jasperfield, August 31, 2011, 11:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasperfield

If you're growing Tabasco peppers, what are you going to do with them?

cinnabar

Fresh or dry they are goood.
The way they dry best for me is to string the up using a needle and tough thread and hang in a nice dry out of the way spot so they dry quickly.  This is called a "ristra" and the needle and thread approach is the easiest.   I keep them near the stove so I can toss one in, in a hurry.

Extra good in soups, chile, bean dishes, pickled onions and relishes, meats, ground and added to rubs, rehydrate for salsa or anything that needs a little zip.  I'll bring the plant in as houseplant over winter sometimes too.  They don't do as well but they are nice plants and festive.

GeneH

Didn't grow any this year, but usually every other year. We can ours (like jalapenos) and use them whole in chili. They look good floating around on top and are real tasty! And I agree, they are really good looking plants, look like a decorated Christmas tree. Know you'll enjoy yours.

Jasperfield

I've already harvested my Anaheim peppers and strung them up, like cinnabar did. The Tabasco pepper plants are tremendously productive. I'll probably pickle them with salt & vinegar, like Garner Foods does with their "Texas Pete" branded pepper sauce.

The sauce is particularly good on Pork, collards, and potatoes.

Norm

I've never tried the tabasco peppers before, are they as hot as jalapenos?

cinnabar

Norm,
According to The Great Chile Book,  the Habanero are a 10 and the Tabasco are a 9  on the hottness scale.  (Scale of 1-10)

cinnabar

Norm

Jasperfield

Norm,

They've got a really good flavor, especially when used in a white vinegar-salt solution. I thought I was growing the same variety that Texas Pete uses. Mine are about a quarter of an inch longer and have a little bit of purple with the yellow.

Some of mine have turned red, but most are yellow / purple. They are way hotter than I thought they would be, but they taste good. As best I can tell, they're a little bit hotter than a really hot Jalapeno.

SwampDonkey

I'm suppose to have some haberno out there with the jalapeno's but i have not found any of them to be hot this year unless I'm immune.  ::) Of course with a big dob of sour cream in my fajita wraps, it probably neutralizes the sting a bit. I chop about 4 kinds of peppers with some onion. mmm :D  No tabasco peppers here, but some long finger like peppers that I don't know when get ripe. Some are now 8 inches long. One or two I tried a couple weeks back had no taste much.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Norm

Well I have to admit I'm a bit of a sissy about really hot peppers. I do grow seranos and jalapenos but have never been brave enough to try a habanero. I've never even seen a tobasco start so I'm guessing I'll have to buy the seed from online.

I had a cousin that loved spicy food SD, he'd keep pouring on the hot sauce even with the sweat running down his forehead. Do you even break a sweat or are you immune to that too.  ;)

metalspinner

Norm,

My brother-in-law is like your cousin. I don't know how he does it.  For Christmas each year, we try to find the hottest of hot sauces for him and he just grins and splashes it on everything. :o
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!