iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Decided to jump in

Started by lynches lumber, August 31, 2011, 07:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynches lumber

Well guys Ive been lurking around here for a couple months now. Been reading alot and getting alot of questions anwered without asking any questions. Been very impressed with the vast knowledge here. So I finally decided to dive in. Ive been sawing on and off for about three years with my dads mill. Everytime he needs it back Ive got a strange feeling  inside of me. I think Ive got the fever. So like all red blooded males I sought out the cure.I will be the proud owner of my own mill in about two weeks. So be patient and bless me with all your knowledge.

red oaks lumber

welcome aboard! there is no cure for the addiction exept more wood ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Welcome, Good luck with your new mill and let us know a little more about yourself and with photos. bg

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Lots of good info here.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Weekend_Sawyer

Your test results are back. Looks like you have sawdust in your veins  :D

Welcome abord!   8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

lynches lumber

BG  theres not a whole lot to tell. Im just a poor ole country boy down here in south carolina along the Lynches river. Been working with wood every since I was a teenager.(carpentry & contracting on houses). Decided I would take it to the next level with sawing.Gonna turn 50 yrs. old friday and figured for the mid life thing I could get more out of a sawmill than a convertible.
WDH   Im getting a used(95) WM-lthd40. Give the guy a deposit on it to hold it until I finsh a large remodel job.(about 2 weeks out) Needed a little more in my toy account.

lynches lumber

Thanks for the warm  ' welcomes' guys

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Lynches.  I've been that river a time or two.  Are the redbreast biting?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Lynches,

Go to your profile and add in your location so that we don't forget where you are at  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

lynches lumber,welcome to the forum. 50 on Friday,now that mill is quite the birthday present for you. That will be Sept 2,happy birthday. Mine is the 4th.I will be turning 50 too.Where have the last 30 years gone? I suppose the lumber will be used on the jobs you are doing? Don't be afraid to ask questions that have been on here. Alot of times someone new will see it and give new insight or learn from the post.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: lynches lumber on August 31, 2011, 09:04:57 PM
Im getting a used(95) WM-lthd40. Give the guy a deposit on it to hold it until I finsh a large remodel job.(about 2 weeks out) Needed a little more in my toy account.

I have the same mill (LT40HDG24), you're going to really like it, I'm sure.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bedway

Heres a early happy Bday to you thecfarm.

lynches lumber

Chuck White_ Yea I like the lt40hd my dad has,which is what got me hooked.His is an '88 ? '89. He bought it right before Hugo hit in 89. The one Im getting has been upgraded to a 25hp kohler. The onan has always been alittle aggrevating to keep running right. The fellow Im getting this one from said he always had problems with the onan, thats why he upgraded it with the 25hp. Have you had any problems with yours?
Cfarm_ Happy early birthday. Pretty much everthing Ive sawed so far with my dads mill has gone towards finishing the house. Still got a good bit of finish work to do on it. Were trying to use alot of natural wood in it.
fishpharmer_ Havent tried the redbreast in years. Heard it aint what it used to be.

woodmills1

a woodmizer is way better for mid life than a sports car or an affair :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bill Gaiche

Hope you have a great 50th. Nothing wrong being poor from the south. Thats all I have know all my life but I like it this way. Dont have worry about what convertable to buy that way. bg

Don K

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Chuck White

Quote from: lynches lumber on September 01, 2011, 02:42:26 PM
Chuck White_ Yea I like the lt40hd my dad has,which is what got me hooked.His is an '88 ? '89. He bought it right before Hugo hit in 89. The one Im getting has been upgraded to a 25hp kohler. The onan has always been alittle aggrevating to keep running right. The fellow Im getting this one from said he always had problems with the onan, thats why he upgraded it with the 25hp. Have you had any problems with yours?

I had problems with the engine a little over a year ago and it all came down to a dirty carb and a small hole in the fuel pump diaphragm.

She's been running like a top every since those were taken care of.

Banjo picker

Chuck , not trying to get tooo far off subject, but what kind of log is that on your mill?  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Quote from: Banjo picker on September 03, 2011, 10:27:57 AM
Chuck , not trying to get tooo far off subject, but what kind of log is that on your mill?  Tim

It's a White Pine Tim.

White Pine is what I saw most of the time.  I do saw lots of others, but mostly WP.

The biggest one I've sawn was 42 inches on the stump, had to employ a chainsaw for a side slab.

Road Runner

Welcome to the forum.  I'm also from SC and am fairly new to milling.  I'm real familiar with the black water rivers mostly fishing the Little Pee Dee (where I grew up) and the Edisto.  The redbreast populations are way down in all the black water rivers mainly due to the introduced flathead catfish.  If you get to go fishing try a live bream on heavy tackle in deep holes in the river bends.  The flatheads fight harder, but arn't nearly as good to eat as a redbreast.  My mother is 83 and she would much rather have a redbreast than a filet mignon.
I'm new to the forum, but thought it was time to talk food.
WM LT40G25, Kubota MX5100, Husqvarna 365 & R460

Banjo picker

Just about any subject can deviate to food at any time...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!