iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Log truck vs trailer???

Started by bond-lumber, August 31, 2011, 12:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bond-lumber

I have a small mill and am lacking good equipment to move logs, not only around the mill yard but especially from people who want to give me or sell me logs from the community.  I would appreciate any input anyone has on a trailer to be pulled by a pickup (Bailey's type) vs a small log truck with a loader (just under CDL size I am thinking).  We run a Mobile Dimension and have an old Newman 8B planer, old forklift is a Case 310b with forks on the 'stern'.  We live on a small island in NW Washington State and people are constantly loosing trees in a storm, to clear a view or driveway or site for a building...I am torn with what seems to be a lack of capacity and poor maneuverability of a trailer but simple and minimal maintenance...vs a small self loader with a loader on the stern of the truck, with a PTO that may have bigger capacity...I would like to move 2500 to 3000lbs...thanks for your input!!!
Mobile Dimension, Newman 8b, Logosol 260

thecfarm

I myself would prefer a truck.  I can maneuver a truck much easier in a tight spot than worry about a truck AND a trailer in the same area. Im IMO a loader on a truck would be easier to load the logs on. Just talking here too,but could clean up the brush and charge for that too. Could pick the brush up with the grapple.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

semologger

I think the truck has alot more uses. You could also use it to haul your finished product off. I have a small trailer that i can haul wood on. but my 2 ton is a whole lot better. Dont worry about over loading it nearly as much.

gunman63

I  dont thing theres anythign  "just under" DOT size anymore.

jdonovan

Quote from: bond-lumber on August 31, 2011, 12:07:43 AMI would appreciate any input anyone has on a trailer to be pulled by a pickup (Bailey's type) vs a small log truck with a loader (just under CDL size I am thinking). 

The max size trailer you can run behind a pickup without getting into CDL territory is going to be in the 12-14k payload range before you add the grapple. I have looked into a class 5/6 truck recently, and was seeing net available payloads in the 12-14k range as well.  That trailer would need to be an 18k unit, and would have to be a goose-neck, and that's quite a bit more capacity than the stuff Bailey's is selling.

So I don't think you would gain/loose capacity with one vs. the other when properly setup.

QuoteI would like to move 2500 to 3000lbs...thanks for your input!!!

You can absolutely pick something like that up, but you're not going to do it 20' from the grapple with the smaller units you'll find in this class of machine. You'll use the grapple, or a trailer mount winch to drag the log close to the trailer, then you can pick it up from next the grapple.

Or you'll have to get to the very high end of grapples. Take a look at JMS's spec's here http://www.remorques-jms.qc.ca/en/chargeuses2.html

JMS also makes much heavier trailers... up to 23,000 gross.

bond-lumber

Thanks, your comments are confirming my previous thoughts!!  Anyone have a small truck for sale with a loader or have seen one available!???

woodsy

I have asked myself the same question and am coming to the conclusion that a small truck is probably the way to go, at least for me.

I am really tempted to go on a field trip to KY and return with this truck:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51039.0.html

LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

brendonv

I run a small tree service, just me, and an occasional helper.

I wouldn't trade my JMS log trailer for anything right now.

Sips fuel, no insurance needed on the trailer, light weight, affordable, everything is accessible for repairs if needed, hauls a ton of wood, and can sit there not being used and not cost me a penny.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

mad murdock

brendonv has some good points. A truck is handy, but with a mounted loader, will cost a lot to register(license), compared to a trailer.  A trailer can be moved round in your log/mill yard with a tractor, and can be dragged on skidroads as well. FWIW.  Good luck whichever way you decide to go!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

semologger

Quote from: woodsy on August 31, 2011, 12:18:18 PM
I am really tempted to go on a field trip to KY and return with this truck:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51039.0.html

well you can go find alot better deal than what warren has! If i was him i would only be asking 1000 for that piece of crap.  :D. no really just joking warren that is a pretty good deal. To bad i dont need that truck i just have to much pieces already.

logman81

I would also have to agree with brendonv the log trailers once acquired are very handy and cheap to run. Problem is trying to find one. I myself have been trying to find a good used one for many years now.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Jasperfield

The problem with a small log truck, one with a single axle, hydraulic brakes, and a log loader, is that the licensed gross weight is too low. I.e., the payload is just too small to compensate for the taxes, licenses, and fees.

If you're going to use a truck, get one that can carry enough weight to make the trip profitable.

Otherwise, use a log-loader-trailer pulled behind a non-CDL truck.

Payeur sells "FOREST" trailers, with log loaders, that come standard with off-road implement tires. This same trailer can be fitted, at the factory, with tires that are DOT certified, and identical, in size and profile, to the off-road tires. They cost about $400 more, but it makes you legal on highways.

I'd go with the forest trailer.

And, (in most states) if you use a farm tag on your truck, you don't need to license the trailer.

bond-lumber

Brendov...what is the capacity of the grapple?  and trailer?  thanks!  ...Andrew

brendonv

Trailer is 15,000 GVW.

Grapple capacity is about 900lbs at full reach, more the closer you get.

A lot of the stuff I haul is 9' minimum.

www.VorioTree.com

woodmills1

I will echo the good thoughts on the truck and trailer combo

I have a blue ox that I tow behind my chevy 4500 dump, I first towed it with a 3500 chevy dual wheel dump.  That package was under CDL, however the Ox is 7 ton so federal rules do apply.  Any trailer over 10,000 requires various federal compliances, ie  inspection, medical card, fire ext.....etc

the combo is very versitile, perfect for log movement and pickups, allows the truck sides to contain brush or small cut offs that would be a puzzle for a log truck with no sides.  Once disconnected from the trailer I get all the benifit of the Dump

for example: I needed to clean and organize my yard yesterday, having stray logs and cut offs scattered all over from a busy august.  As I manuvered around the yard on the first pass I picked pine cut offs and dropped them into the truck and pine logs into the trailer.  Unload the logs into organized pile, disconnect and dump the rounds next to the wood furnace to split

reconnect and do the same for hardwood.  Now I have a $100 load of split your own firewood on the truck to deliver this morning.  The yard is organized, made a few bucks and a cord or so of pine chunks is ready to be put up for winter heat

I use the combo to demo sheds or other unwanted small buildings, the loose debris goes into the truck body, so no worry of nails falling throught the bunks.

With a log truck, you have.......a log truck!
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

bill m

Are you looking to move logs that are 2500 to 3000lb each or a full load of that amount? A trailer is nice but a truck is a lot easier to move around on most job sites. Most under cdl single axle trucks can only carry about 1500 bd. feet and still be legal so if you are hauling for your own mill it may work but if you are hauling for other mills it is not cost effective. My single axle log truck costs less per mile to operate than my 1 ton. You also need to check the regulations in your state as they differ from state to state. In Mass. for a business you need to register and insure all trailers with a commercial insurance policy.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

bond-lumber

I likely will be only hauling for my mill (I would rather be sawing than driving)!  Sometimes I come across an 18 to 20 ft log 24-30" and I would rather not buck it on site vs. at the mill.  I have an old 2.5ton military truck that works super for hauling boards as it can be loaded easily with the forks, so hauling the finished product is not a concern now!  thanks again, great input!!...

Ironwood

It all depends on your area and auxillery uses. Look in Urban Forestry threads. I just built/ am building a 4x4 F-550 with a Hiab 035 knuckle, dedicated lo-pro log bed, and now removable dumping flat bed. For  my use, logs lumber, deliveries locally (V10), plowing of snow, and farm"ish" use it is the cat's meow. Rarely do I have more than the deck can handle. It weighs 8800# empty and can legally haul 8700# of cargo or so. There are ton of pics of it in my Gallery. Also, for occasional use, DONT overlook an Autocrane or Venturo electric/hydraulic. They are easy to set up (just a 12 volt line)  and can be moved to a truck OR trailer with a forklift. I used and continue to use one of those as well on a F-350 flatbed DRW.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!