iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Splitters

Started by MReinemann, August 29, 2011, 08:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MReinemann

Looking to purchase a log splitter.  Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with models that can be purchased at the Home Depot or Tractor Supply, most likely will be buying one from one of these 2 stores.  Open to any suggestions as to reliability and performance.
Thanks

redbeard

25 ton will last you. The box store splitters are pretty much you get what you pay for. E-Z split is on my wish list. My 25 ton with a 5 hp briggs is still going 10 plus years its probably getting close to its 100th cord.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chris Burchfield

I purchased a 35 Ton from Tractor Supply.  I want to say it has a two stage pump.  Fast travel till it gets into the wood, then slows for power to bust it open.  Fast travel on the return.  I've had it about six years and no problem.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Buck

Those from TSC are made by Speeco. They are pretty well thought of and reported on.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

thecfarm

Depends on what you want or need. I suppose for your own firewood need. Like 6-8 cord a year? I just have a 27 ton,6.5 hp.I only use it for my own wood.Very similar to want you are looking at. I would get one that can tips down,split vertical too. I use it to split that way alot too.Have had no problems with it. I really like the Over Head Valves,OHV, real easy to start,just a slow easy pull and it starts. Don't start so easy when it's in the 20's.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MReinemann

Ok thanks guys.  Seems like the tractor supply splitters are a little better thought out from what I can see.  A friend of mine has a Super-Split it works off the rotation of 2 flywheels.  That thing is fast.  Only problem is once you pull the lever there is no stopping the ram until it makes its cycle, you also have to lift the logs up onto it.  The thing costs like 2700 bucks too probably looking to spend around 1300.  Just going to be using it for my own wood and my parents around 8 cord a year.  Thanks for the input.
-Matt

Norm

beenthere

Matt
Here is another that combines some clever loading and off-loading design, by our sponsor LogRite.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,51087.msg757420.html#msg757420
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

The Speeco is a decent unit for home use, now owned by Blount (Oregon) and made in the U.S. Parts are readily available which is a big plus but avoid the models with the Chinese engine.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Collima

Checkout Tempest wood splitters.  I bought one last year and it kicks butt!!!
Woodmizer LT50, case SV250, lucas dsm23

MReinemann

Jasperfield

The the forward motion of a Super-Split can be stopped (at any point along its travel) by pushing the lever down. The travel of the ram will stop as quickly as it was begun, thereby interrupting the cycle.

Ironwood

I LOVE Supersplits. Great machine. Almost splits so fast you can keep three people going nonstop (young healthy people).

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

maple flats

I've been watching the super splits since Sawlex in WV. They look great. I also saw Logrite at the NYS Woodsman's a this month and they have a nice rig for splitting. They buy super splits and use it as a basis for a SUPER SPLIT, they made it even more ergonimic to use and build them with a huge table and options like a capstan winch to lift logs or chunks and a standing height bucking table. Sure looked like a nice combo, all built on a trailer to haul the rig around.
Dave
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

John Mc

Logrite has a video of that set up in their area in the vendor section. I keep hearing there will be more videos up soon: one showing some of the options, and another showing it splitting some gnarly wood (which would be great to see... everyone seems to demonstrate their splitters on nice white ash, or something similarly easy to split).

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Raider Bill

I had a Super Split back in the early 80's. I really liked it. I believe it is still in use.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jasperfield

The Super-Split and Logrite's splitter will both split gnarly wood. You may have to hit it twice, or so, but they'll sure split the nasty stuff.

Ironwood

It is all about CYCLE time, that is where the Super Split and like machines shine (saw a guy selling similar momentum wheel units to Amish in Ohio, his where green and had some improvements)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dean186

In my opinion, there are many good log splitters made in the USA.  So, why spend money on a China built log splitters & export jobs out of the United States.   It is also my opinion that the better splitters are made here in the US.  I would look for a USA made splitter, which will eliminate some choices.

CT Trapper

Quote from: Dean186 on September 05, 2011, 12:44:09 PM
In my opinion, there are many good log splitters made in the USA.  So, why spend money on a China built log splitters & export jobs out of the United States.   It is also my opinion that the better splitters are made here in the US.  I would look for a USA made splitter, which will eliminate some choices.

smiley_clapping  Agree!

John Mc

I see DR Products is selling a flywheel based splitter. It looks almost exactly like the Super Split, and similar prices. I wonder if they are just rebadging a Super Split, or making their own.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

zopi

Been doing alot of research on splitters...for the hydraulics...ideal world would be a tempest, next a splitright...maybe splitfire....but you are probably not looking at a commercial machine and this go around eight or ten thousand....I have a thirty ton northern hydraulics, that aside from fit and finish is fine...it is a working s.o.b....especially as my wife likes to run it..

I am truly impressed with logrite's machine...no word on pricing yet, but with the quality that logrite puts forth, it is a sure bet to be a fine machine...

We are looking at getting into a bundled firewood gig, as soon as I can get the money together for some equipment...need another splitter and  a bundler...looking at that logrite and the tempest....

I have come up with a design modeled on the logrite processor, but it will sit on a sixteen foot trailer, deck over the front six feet of trailer with thick planking, and flush mount a splitter which pushes wood through blade on the front left corner, discharging the wood down a trough along the trailer rail going aft...this way, the wood can be pushed along the trough by the splitter action, and either dropped into a wainting cart or conveyor to be loaded on a truck or wagon...a peanut cart is my favorite...they are chaep and flow alot of air...the rest of the toy works pretty much the same...arch over deck lifts roumds to table, and  one can parbuckle logs to the deck to buck them... the point of the big trailer is that if one is splitting offsite, one can stack a quarter to a half cord right on the trailer....particularly in a couple of palletized boxes which can go right into a kiln for drying, or stacked off the ground for storage....
Plus, I have a spare trailer kicking around...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dale Hatfield

What is the super split looking unit that TSC is selling
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

John Mc

I just heard back from the SuperSplit folks. The RapidFire splitter that DR Products is selling is NOT a rebadged SuperSplit.

It looks identical. Gee, I wonder where DR got the idea? They must have hired some former northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company "engineering" staff. Looking at their website and video, you'd think they invented the concept.

Tam-i-am

I spent some time looking at the DR Power splitter videos too.  They do make it sound like they invented the concept of the flywheel driven splitter.

When we decided to get into this market, we met with Paul at Super Splitter.  He makes our splitter for us.  Mark, from Future Forestry, designed the system around the Super Splitter and we manufacture Mark's concept.  We worked together and all three parties are happy with the result.

I am not surprised by DR Power's decision to copy the splitter.  They had approached us and asked for samples of our tools.  We politely declined.  I suppose it is just a matter of time before they have a line of aluminum cant hooks and peaveys.  I suppose they just have a different business model.

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

zopi

Was a big discussion over o. Another board about the DR...with factory rep jumping in and defending DR...

My experience...local small engine mechanics won't mess with DR...say they are almost impossible to get parts out of.

I am pretty leery of anything that is marketed as heavily as DR...much like ronco...it slices, it dices, it splits wood!
Nahh.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

paul case

you mean ''set it and forget it''?????    pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Qweaver

I bought one of the Huskies 6.5 hp, 22 ton units at Tractor Supply.  It splits fine but it is slow.  It's OK for a home user but it would be tough to use to make money with unless you don't care how much your time is worth.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

sawman

Stopped by our local tsc yesterday, and they had a speeco flywheel splitter there with a 2.5 sec cycle time, had to use both hands to operate it,push release button with one hand and hit lever with otherhand. If I remember correctly if you released button, the cycle would reverse at that point.
 I think price was 1699.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

sawguy21

You do not want a hand anywhere near the wedge when it starts to move. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 02, 2011, 11:22:07 PM
You do not want a hand anywhere near the wedge when it starts to move. ;D

Or on the other end.

I used to be able to say "I'm always very careful about where I put my hands when splitting".

As of June 2, 2011, that was no longer the case. Not sure how it happened, but I got my left index finder caught between the log and the anvil. I basically "popped" my finger open, and slightly cracked one bone. Stopped just in time to avoid shattering the last couple of bones in the finger. 14 stitches, looked pretty gruesome for a while. I'm left handed, but like many lefties, I'm somewhat ambidextrous, so I got by OK while it was healing. Signing my name was a tough one, however.

It's healed up pretty good now. Still a bit limited on range of motion. The one upside is that my finger is a pretty good predictor of coming storms now... it aches a good bit when something is brewing.

If I'd been using one of the flywheel type splitters, I'd be limited to giving people the high "4 & 1/2" after that. (Believe it or not, I'd still go for a SuperSplit if I could justify it. Wouldn't go for a DR Products RapidFire on principle, since it sure seems they just robbed SS's design.)

John Mc

Thank You Sponsors!