iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Assembly Required

Started by Patty, August 29, 2011, 04:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patty

I spent Sunday putting together my new quilting frame.  8)  It took me about 6 or 7 hours to assemble while Norm hid outside. I had to fire him right off the bat when we couldn't even agree on whether or not to put a finish on the thing before assembling it. Actually he quit, before I could fire him!! We didn't even make through the first paragraph of the 20 page instruction manual.  :D   Our sons stopped over and wondered why Norm was out in the shop by himself, and after an explanation, the oldest said, "Oh yea, the wife and I fire each other pretty much every time we try to do a project together!"

Anyway, the frame is assembled, and now the fun begins.

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

That Norms a pretty Smart Feller ;) ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

That looks awesome from here Patty. Congratulations on putting your new frame together. My poor old grandmother did well to have a square frame up on chairs held by C-clamps. ;)

Mother was a little put out though, because she made quilts for all dad's brother's kids and none for us kids. I guess she figured we had enough bed'n. ;) Grandmother wasn't all that great the last few years of living because of bone cancer, so she didn't have the energy to make us quilts. That's what I figure anyway. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

That's quite a contraption!  Looks like an evil robot killing machine to me...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

It does look alive!   Don't turn your back on it on a dark moonless night  :)

Nice going  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

As much as I'm envious of your thing machine I mean quilting frame I just happened to notice that beautiful hardwood floor. 8) 8) 8)

Larry, headed to the shop to visit Norm. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Patty on August 29, 2011, 04:59:53 PM
...  I had to fire him right off the bat when we couldn't even agree on whether or not to put a finish on the thing before assembling it. ...

Anyway, the frame is assembled, and now the fun begins.

Patty,

And that fun would be putting a finish on the assembled frame, while cussing under your breath that you should of finished it first??? < BIG GRIN, Ducking to avoid the shoe thrown at me as I manage to make it out the door... >

But seriously, that's a Nice quilting frame and beautiful floor. Hope you get many years of enjoyment using it (the frame).

Herb

Mooseherder

How many parts went into that tarnation. :D
I'm with Norm.  Run Norm, Run!

Norm

We only got to the first sentence in the manual where it said use tung oil. Now after 35 years of marriage you'd think I could keep my mouth shut but oh noooo.  :D

I went out to change the oil in the gator right after that.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Norm on August 30, 2011, 07:53:51 AMNow after 35 years of marriage you'd think I could keep my mouth shut but oh noooo.  :D

Norm - after 39 years, I still have the same problem.  Just can't keep my BIG mouth shut.

Bruce

WH_Conley

Bill

Ianab

I had been thinking of building those things for the local market, or at least a smaller version for the embroidery / tapestry types.

Not sure how simple is would be after seeing that...   :-\ If it takes all day to put together, how long did it take to design???

And don't connect it to the Internet, once Skynet gets control of it, we are all doomed  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patty

I was WANTING to put a finish on first......that lead to the discussion about the tung oil...and it went downhill from there very quickly.  ::)    I decided I really didn't need a finish on the darn thing anyway.

The floor is cherry, and is really very beautiful. We installed it one summer about 9 years ago, and it has really mellowed into a nice floor. No tung oil on it either!  :D
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

isawlogs

I think you should take that thing apart and put a finish on it before you stain the darn thing .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Well, I figured I would just say I'm here and call it quits. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I want to see a quilt on that thing. Than it will really shine,just like the floor. Good thing you have room for it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tcsmpsi

I don't know....looks like it bites, to me.    :D

About 20 yrs ago, I got two hardwood framed futons, that will configure into different uses....so they say.  They didn't get any finish on them either, Patty.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

doctorb

I don't understand.  Patty, that contraption looks already finished to me! ;)
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Roxie

That couldn't have been easy.  Way to go!   8)

Ah, the memories of past assemblies this brings to mind.  Those were good fights times. 
Say when

Patty

Last August I put my quilting frame together, as I mentioned in the above posts. Since then I have been assembling a quilt top to go on that frame. The frame helps to hold the quilt top, the batting in the middle and the quilt backing in place while you hand stitch beautiful patterns into the quilt to hold all three layers together.....or that is the theory anyway!

This week while home with a bad cold, I finished the quilt top and have mounted it onto the frame with the other two layers. This process was certainly no trouble at all.  ::)

For two days I assembled, pinned, cussed, tore out, reassembled, pinned some more, cussed, scraped my knuckles all up, tore my fingernail off, put deep gashes into my poor finger (who knew those knife blades were so sharp?!), reassembled AGAIN, cussed a bunch ( you gotta cuss like a sailor to do this procedure I learned), pinned some more, and FINALLY today the quilt is ready to be quilted!  8)

Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Den Socling

Patty. You sound mildly aggravated.

SwampDonkey

I think you need a loom before that quilt rack eats you up. ;D

Looks like a nice quilt taking shape. ;D

Shotgun

Patty,

I think you have to pin the top, the batting, and the backing, "before" you put it on the frame.  My wife is a prolific quilter, quilting most every day.  Some times I help her pin the three layers together.  We don't have a large frame.  She does it with a small circle frame, or machine quilts it.  She probably makes 6 or 8 a year.

Your quilt top looks really nice.

Good luck with your project.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!