iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best bar and chain for the ms 361 + ms 441

Started by horneservices, August 28, 2011, 12:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

horneservices

I just bought a used ms 361 for $360.00 with 16 bar but runs like brand new, guy said he bought it and didn't use it enough to keep it. So I'm wondering what would be the best bar size and chain for it. I already had a ms 261 + ms 260 both brand new 260 was bought last fall and 261 a few weeks ago both awesome saws for what i need them for, which is lot clearing. I need the ms 361 for cutting all day every day medium, small and large trees so i don't want to get wore out to fast so i am trying to keep the weight to minimum but would like to get the most power out of my 361 so i would like some advice for the best bar size and chain type i was thinking between 18-25 inch bar with 3/8 chain

Thank you for taking the time to read my post any advice is greatly appreciated

Justin

Al_Smith

It all comes down to opinion .Mine would be a 20" with round chisel chain ,full compliment .

sawguy21

20" is a good choice on that saw. A longer bar will fit but the saw really does not have the power to handle it comfortably especially in hard wood.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Al_Smith

I can't speak for the 361 but a 441 has enough go juice to handle 24" .I ran one last week buried to the hilt in Chinese elm and it didn't miss a beat .

horneservices

Bernhard

Excepted to the 064 we run the smallest blade on all our saws after the preference of Stihl. We are doing well since 26 years.

Bernhard

Stihl MS 181, 024, 028, 044, 046, 064, MS 290

Al_Smith

Generally speaking up to 5 cu inch I run 20" bars .Over that comes the longer bars .There are exceptions depending of the circumstances .That same week I ran a 441 which belonged to a trimmer which had a 24"  I also ran my 038 Mag with a 32" .The Mag has been somewhat enhanced though .It usually wears a 20" .

isawlogs

I have a 036 , older brother to the 360, I run a 20" bar with full chisel chain, its a good light weight all around saw.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

clww

My "new" 361 that I got earlier this month came with a 20" bar. I may add a 24" bar to it's inventory sometime in the future. To fill a void between 20" and 36" on my biggest saws. I'm going to give it a real workout tomorrow on a 50" dbh Red Oak that blew over last night when "Irene" busted through here.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SawTroll

Quote from: horneservices on August 28, 2011, 12:16:33 PM

I just bought a used ms 361 for $360.00 with 16 bar but runs like brand new, guy said he bought it and didn't use it enough to keep it. So I'm wondering what would be the best bar size and chain for it. I already had a ms 261 + ms 260 both brand new 260 was bought last fall and 261 a few weeks ago both awesome saws for what i need them for, which is lot clearing. I need the ms 361 for cutting all day every day medium, small and large trees so i don't want to get wore out to fast so i am trying to keep the weight to minimum but would like to get the most power out of my 361 so i would like some advice for the best bar size and chain type i was thinking between 18-25 inch bar with 3/8 chain

Thank you for taking the time to read my post any advice is greatly appreciated

Justin

A 16" should be ideal, for the wood that it isn't too short for.

If you need a little more bar, but not too much weight up front - try an 18" Rollomativ E (not ES).
Information collector.

lumberjack48

Over all my years of logging i ran 16" on all my saw's, on less i needed a longer bar i had longer bars with me.
The 044 mag with a 16" is a animal, fun to run. i ran a 16" bar on my 90 Jonsered.

Theres no reason to run more chain, or carry more weight on less you really need it. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

clww

I took a 24" bar that I had for one of my 056 saws and tried that on my 361 yesterday. Still good balance and power, but it is a noticeable drop in power compared with the 20" bar that came with it. I think the optimum combination is a 20" bar.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

OneWithWood

I really like the RMC micro stihl chain.  It cuts well and can handle a little dirt without loosing its edge.

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

quietrangr

361 is balanced for an 18 inch bar. 441 is likely balanced for a 20. I always ran 18s on my 361s.

mpuste

Another vote for the shortest bar that will do the job.  I have a 361 with 16 and 20 inch bars that I use primarily to cut firewood.  The 16 inch bar is on the saw most of the time.  A shorter bar equals less weight, less snagging on brush while walking through the woods, and less teeth to sharpen.  I prefer Stihl's semi chisel chain because I drag my logs out of the woods so they are usually full of dirt.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!