iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

10' X 12' Timber Frame Shed (Raising the Frame)

Started by jander3, August 27, 2011, 10:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston

Looks great and thanks for sharing some pics!  I really like the stain you used. 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

jander3

Started the board and batten siding; framed in some windows.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sparky1

Ive never been involved or apart of anything in this sort of construction (timber frame). It looks like it would be a very rewarding and fun project to tackle sometime!! the pics are great. Out of curiosity, how much does something like that cost to build, or do you have your own mill?
Shaun J

beenthere

jon
I see where the cross piece under the window looks a lot straighter now. ;)

Bet that wasn't a pleasant surprise.  ::)

Looking great, and wonder if the neighbors have figured it out yet?  :)

Soon you will need the wood stove in there.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jander3

Window cross piece?  What do you mean?

Oh, yeah, layout was done on both front posts together.  Checked and double checked.  However, if you cut the girt mortise on the wrong side of the 48" mark, things get a bit un-level.    How do I know this?   Well, when I figured it out on raising day, I was glad there were not children outside playing. 

So far, someone has called the dog-gone building inspector on this project two times.  10' x 12' needs no permit.  First time, we pulled a tape on a spot  that was 9' 11 3/4"; inspector was happy.  Next time, he was still happy, but he let me know galvanized roofing was a no-no in town (I should have looked into this before roofing).   So, I will be pulling off the metal and putting on a different roof.   Whoever turned me in may not be so happy, as the new roof will be blue (but legal per code) cause my wife likes blue. 

Actually, the inspectors in town are really good guys.  You would think if someone had an issue, they would come talk with me.  Nope, here in MN, folks are civil; they smile at you, and then they call the inspectors to turn you in. However, when I get done, the siding will be painted to match the house and from the outside it won't look like a barn structure. At that point, I think the concern will go away.

When they wrote the code for 10' x 12' without a permit, they were probably thinking a Mendards shed, not a timber frame.   

jander3

Cost?  

I have my own mill and trees.  However, the mill is at the Stump Ranch, so, it took me some time to cut, mill, and haul.  And, the dimensions had to change a bit in that 14' 6" is about as long as I dared haul in short-bed truck.

Cost is below:

Concrete Pad = $1200 (poured by a local guy)
Windows = $300 (Building Materials Outlet Store)
Roofing  & Rafters = $450
Screws and Such = $100

I think if you purchased the timbers from a local sawyer, you would have 2K into the timbers.

jander3

Replaced the roof with something blue.  Now compliant with the city code.

Working on the siding when I have time.

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

RPF2509

Would you be willing to post a cut list for this building? - we have a 10' x 12' no permit required as well.  I have 2 - 16'x 36" logs ready to mill come springtime.  Somewhere I have a book by Jack Sobon where he shows how to build a similar structure but since we just moved its in a box - probably at the bottom of the pile

jander3

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2011/03/timber-frame-plan10-x-12-shed.html

Here are the plans, there are a couple of things that maybe aren't quite right (i.e. center post is reversed...not on purpose).   The sketchup plan is posted as well.  If you download the sketchup plan and have Timberframe Rubies, you can adjust the model and make your own shop drawings.   

The plans show the ridge and the plate at 16', I had to go with 14' because I couldn't get anything longer in the back of my truck.

RPF2509

Great!   Thanks Jander3 - I'm figureing my way around sketchup - rubies is next.  Ah for the long winter of planning

mog5858

NICE JOB you really out did your self. after reading this really wont me to go and start cutting timbers for a little shed too. but i have to put my sawmill together and then lean how to cut timber and timber frame bean reading books but that's about as faw as i got. maby buy this summer i could try somthing like what you got going on i hope.

jander3

Installed a door with big hinges as it is one heavy son-of-a-gun.  I just have to finish up the battens and loft planking, then, I will be ready to move things in. 

December 27, no snow in Minnesota...different this year.

Rooster

Are you planning on decorating the shed for the holidays???

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

It looks great!

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

jueston

Your description of Minnesota nice is spot on with my experience. Our no permit rule in st. paul is only 100sqft though, to bad....

Its an awesome shed, you did great work here.

How about this weather around here, huh?

jander3

Rooster,

I have more lights on that shed than you could imagine, at night she lights up like an airstrip.  And, if you look up at the peak on the front of the building there is a saw blade with hand letters that say's, "Code Compliant".    That touch was for who ever called the building inspector on me.   

Jon 

Fred Bryant

This might be a stupid question, but how is it attached to the pad?

Thx's, Fred ( jyblood@nwi.net )

Piston

Quote from: jander3 on December 28, 2011, 09:05:58 PM
...if you look up at the peak on the front of the building there is a saw blade with hand letters that say's, "Code Compliant".    That touch was for who ever called the building inspector on me.   

Jon

That is awesome!   :D :D :D
-Matt

jander3

The frame is set on a concrete pad.   I used some L-shaped brackets at the posts.  I put a lag screw in the post and and anchored it to the concrete pad with a threaded rod designed for installation into concrete.

Piston

That's one NICE looking shed!   8)

Did you use forms at all for the posts?  Or just pour a slab and set the posts right on the slab?  If so, how thick of a slab did you pour?
-Matt

Brad_bb

This winter is strange with as little snow or cold.  I bet the shed looked cool lit up at night, got a pic?  Some snow on the ground would look even better.  I'm hoping we get some winter here soon (IL).  The bugs are going to be bad this year...
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jander3

Posts were set right on the slab.  The slab was 6". 

Odd winter here to Brad.   No snow, not much ice.   No vehicles on the lake for ice fishing.   

Kiwilassy

Quote from: jander3 on August 28, 2011, 04:22:07 PM
Brad,

I made up the design with Google Sketchup and Timber Frame Rubies.  Jim Rogers helped me figure out that the loads would be OK.  

The SketchUp file is posted on the forum at the following url:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,49542.0.html
Hey, Jon,
Michelle Bar-Evan in Colorado here. (I bought a TFHQ layout square from you last year) Wondering if you still have this plan? I clicked on the URL, but it doesn't exist anymore.
Kindly, Michelle
Michelle Bar-Evan

Ljohnsaw

Click on the link with the paperclip. That is the sketchup model.  You will need full SketchUp to be able to make shop drawings.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!