iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15 low hours

Started by wannabeonetoo, August 27, 2011, 12:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabeonetoo

Hey guys, going to look at a LT15 w/200 hrs + 12 bands. supposed to be in ex. cond. has bed extensions. $4500.00, is this a reasonable price ????

Steve

WDH

Sounds like a good deal. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wannabeonetoo

Well, I've joined the "RANKS"  8) Mill was in real nice shape, cut a bit of cedar with it. It comes with cant hooks, 10 nib saw blades + 5, once sharpened blades & engine cover. Pick it up Tues. so there will be a few restless nights till then  :D

Steve

redbeard

Nice score, funny how if you not in a big hurry a good deal comes your way and bam! You be sawing lumber.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

wannabeonetoo

Thanks, looking forward to having some fun ! It's something I've been wanting to do for years. Originally I was thinking something mobile w/hyd but thought it best to just "dip my toes into the waters" before I dove in head first.
Now to figure out some sort of cover to work under.

Steve

WDH

It has been 10 years and I am still looking for cover  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Next thing we will know you will be changing your name from "wannabeonetoo" to "Iisonetoo".   :D  Congratulations on the "new" mill.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

You will be happy with it. What's all the lumber going to be used for? Pictures on Tuesday!!!???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wannabeonetoo

Thanks. I have plenty of projects arround the farm here to start with, bridge decking, drive shed, chicken coop, BIL's board & batten siding...........then who knows from there  ;)

Steve

Magicman

Quote from: wannabeonetoo on August 28, 2011, 08:43:24 AM
...........then who knows from there  ;)    Steve

That is the spirit that I like to see.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wannabeonetoo

Can anybody steer me in the direction of any pics showing mills raised up onto bunks (?) or milling sheds ? What is a good height ? I'd like to start to get some ideas on the best set up for a stationart Lt15 or similar mill.

Thanks,

Steve

WDH

About knee height is a good working level, I think.  Too high, and it is hard to get leverage to turn the big logs.  I need to raise mine up to knee height.

paul case

i set my ez boardwalk mill up on 8x8's to get the knee height. they are setting on the hard ground inside a dirt floored building. they also have 2x8's laying flat between them and the wall/foundation to keep it from being pushed back when loading or unloading.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sparky

I hesitate to mention this, but I was visiting a friend in Northern WI this weekend when I noticed an ad with an LT15 for sale for $1000, OBO. I  called immediately, but it was already sold. It came with a box full of new blades and some used ones. The ad said it had been used very little. I am a fan of circular mills, but I could change if I tried hard enough.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

MotorSeven

Steve, congrats, how many extensions did it come with?

Sparky...a LT15 for $1K...wow that was a "deal".
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Warren

wannabe,

Congrats on the mill.   I started with an LT15 in 2004.  It will do everything the big ones will do, Just not as fast.  However, one word of warning....   Just don't think that this will be your LAST mill....

:D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

wannabeonetoo

Thanks guys, we'll see how bad the "bug" bites before moving up. Just knowing how long I've been pining for a mill I hope this will fill the bill for now  ;)

Steve

wannabeonetoo

Got it home this aft. I had a closer look at the mill & it is really in "MINT" condition. there is only minor paint wear on the rails. I'll try to get pics on here, they are in my gallery.

OK..............how the heck do you put pics into posts ??    >:(

Steve

WDH

Start your post.  Then click on Upload or Insert Photo? at the bottom left hand part of the post window.  Click on My Gallery.  Click on the picture that you want to post.  When the pic comes up, scroll down to the file information section.  There you will see a line that say something like "Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window".  Click that and the photo will be inserted into your post.  In the original post window, click on preview to view the new post with the picture.

That is a great looking mill.  That is the steal of the century!

Stephen1

That is a great looking mill, I hope you wear more of the paint off. They are right it won't be your last, I just sold my old Silva craft and am looking at a WMHD40, in really good shape also. enjoy and show us some pics of you cutting.
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

wannabeonetoo

Thanks for the help with pictures.
Stephen1, where in S. Ont. are you ? Nice sugar bush BTW.

Steve

zopi

Sucker. Sawdust is worse than crack.
If you are not going to add an extension...four six x six posts four 2x12...a whack of 2x4....some one by for roof battens amd some tin...poof .....cover. by the time you have all that sawed...you will be pretty comfy with the mill.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

MotorSeven

Steve I only see one bed....how many extensions are there?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

thecfarm

I wished I would of put a roof over mine. Just keeps the paint from fading on it so fast and keeps the rust down on it.
By the way wannabeonetoo,you are one now!!!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

wannabeonetoo

Quote from: MotorSeven on August 31, 2011, 06:43:20 AM
Steve I only see one bed....how many extensions are there?

MS, it has 1 extension that is out of the picture sitting on a trailer.
The plan is for a shed of some type. I'm going to set it up as suggested approx. knee height. I am going to level a spot under each leg, put down some gravel, tamp it in then a concrete block with a short R/R tie to span the width of the bed. Does that sound as though it will work ok ??
I will tarp it for the time being.

Steve

WDH

That will work as long as you are gentle and the logs are not massive.  I have found that dropping loading a log on the mill ungently will cause the sawmill to shift/move off its foundation.  Also, the force of turning a big log can cause the mill to shift over several inches.  So, I do not use the eight screw-feet bolts to raise the mill.  I set the bottom rails directly on short pieces of wood (like a 2x4) that are laid down perpendicular to the rail.  If the mill shifts over too far, it is easy to slide it back in place and maintain the level. 

If I had to raise the mill permanently to knee height, I would put 6x6 pressure treated posts in the ground about 30" deep, cover the posts with 2x10's as a platform to sit the bed rails on, and put two 2x4's on each side of the bed rails that are sitting on top of the 2x10 and screw them down to the 2x10.  The attached 2x4's on either side of the bed rails would confine the rails from any side shift.  This approach would also allow for access under the mill to clean out sawdust, bark, debris, etc.

hackberry jake

You could build a shed like this I'm a bit of an overbuilder. Built this one with twelve 12' cedar 6x6s, two 12' locust 6x8s, one 16' hickory 6x10, ten 8' 2x10s, seventeen 8' 2x6s, seventeen 10' 2x6s, bout sixty 8' 2x4s. Dimensions are 18'x32'. 12' on the high side and 8' on the low side. Used new painted roofing and used galvanized wall metal. Didn't buy a single board. The shed ran about $2000. $600 for roof, $300 for wall metal, $800 for lights, outlets, wiring (including 200' underground feed) and breaker box, and about $200 for fasteners (all screws and lag bolts), and $100 for beverages and food for my workers.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

wannabeonetoo

Well I got the mill set up (temporarily) in the barn. Milled a few smallish ewc & pine logs. YEP........ the dust is now in the veins !!! Broke one band (at the weld), I may have been pushing the "not so sharp" blade a bit too hard. Definately going to have to come up with a set up where as I can utilize the full length, however for the few small projects I'm starting with the short lenghths will be ok.
Sorry, no pictures.

Steve

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: wannabeonetoo on September 06, 2011, 01:30:55 PM

Sorry, no pictures.

Steve

I've heard that if there's no pictures it didn't happen  8)

Congratulations on cutting your first logs.

Herb

Thank You Sponsors!